Anyone going to Steel City Pa national ?

Feb 25, 2001
Ok...I have never been to a national race.. I race motocross but have never been to a national. I am going with one other person and we are leaving on a saturday to be there sat evening. And going to be at the track early sunday to watch anything that is going on. Does anyone have suggestions on what to get like pit passes and where to get these things. Are there any tickets in advance becuase the last thing I want to do is wait in a long ass line ! so if anyone has tips and stuff....I know to bring rain gear because of past rainy races I have watched. And I will bring plenty of drinks,& light food (no alcolholic stuff for me)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'm kicking it around. I haven't been to a National since Marty Smith rode a Honda. :scream:

I could use some inside info as well. How far is the joint from Pittsburgh?

DSsuper92

Mar 27, 2000
I'll be there as usual.

Steel City is about twenty miles outside of Pittsburgh. It's a little bit past Monroeville.

For anyone going on Sunday leave as early as possible. There is only one main way into the track and it's usually backed up at least five miles down the road. When you drive in you buy the tickets so there are no lines for them.

Bring plenty of water. It gets extremely hot. There is no shade anywhere. Expect to be elbow top elbow with thousands of people. It's alot more congested than any other national that I've seen/been to.

The best place to spectate is in the stands by the announcers tower. But it gets extremely crowded.

Food is priced high as expected and there are long lines for it. Watch out for the pizza. Two years ago I found mold on the bottom of my slice.

As far as pit passes go I have no clue. I've only been in the pits once at the Dallas SX and it's not that exciting.

The kawi riders usually sign autographs up in vendors row on Sunday.

I recommend bringing a lot of cash if you can. It can be a very expensive weekend.

I hope I helped.

Dave

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Steel City

Pit passes are available for Sat and Sunday. I think there 10 or 15 bucks on Sunday. If I also remember you have to be out of the pits by 1:00. As far as where to go you have to hit the whole track. It's not that long of a walk and you get to see all the jumps, especially the big jumps at the hairpin where you enter. Be there for the end of the 125 motos as this is where Travis (if he's conscience) will be doing tricks. Get to the pits early if you want autographs. Ifyour their Friday or early Saturday you might get a glimse of me and my famous KDX endo's in the amatuer open class.:eek:

Feb 25, 2001
Im hopefully going. wer are trying to find a good hotel rite now..I had a website that had secret cheaper unadvertised prices for hotels.... now I forgot the website address andywho its a nine hour drive according to www.streetfinder.com...atleast its 9 hours from my house to that hotel which is 3 miles from that track. Is 9 hours worth the drive ?

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
It's a nine-hour drive for me too. Delta offers a round trip fare of $156 though. That's about what I would spend in gas, hotel, etc. Trouble is, I only have 24 hours to make reservations.

I'll have to procure a rent-a-racer too. Taurus freestyle, anyone?

(Fasten your seatbelt. I'm gonna try somethin....):scream:

Feb 25, 2001
im figuring that it will take me a tank of Diesel going up and a tank of Diesel on the way back ...thats 70 bucks rite there.. Then a one night stay till sunday morning the hotel im looking at is $55.00 a night...then I forgot what tickets were like 20 bucks each so thats 40 bucks for tickets...or more I cant remember . Then I figure we have a small small grill that we might bring inso we will fry up some burgers and dogs and bring a cooler of drinks to carry with us for every moto. I figure we will get there to the track at like an hour before racing starts . And leave less than half way through 2nd moto of 250's rite when the guys are kinda settled in a spread out when ya kinda know when they are gonna finish in what position so im figuring 190 bucks for one day of fun in the sun....its kinda worth it comming from 4 states away ? I cant remember watching this track in the past on tv it never stood out in my mind what kind of track is it more natural ? loam ? lots of jumps anything BIG BIG ? or just kinda like Washogal nothing to big but nice area and nice soil?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'll be there - making the haul from Chicago (600 miles or so each way)

We're leaving Thursday and pulling a heavy 24 foot trailer. And I'm planning on racing my first WML (Women's MX League) race on Saturday. I'm kinda bummed because Pastrana is gonna sit out the last 2 rounds - I was hoping for a three-way 125 battle down to the last moto.

Honda Pilot - if you go to www.mxnationals.com and click on Steel City on the left - there is a lot of info about the nationals (track map, schedule, etc.). From what I hear - it's a pretty sweet track.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
RC on a 125!!

Well, we're leaving for Steel City in 3 days - I can't wait!!! It's official as of today that RC will be riding a 125 to try to break the tie he and Mark Barnett have for 125 National wins! How exciting. And Brown and Langston are only 9 points apart (Langston has the lead and has won the last 4 motos!)

As the great sportscasters would say: "It's gonna be a barn burner" :confused:

If you all are around on Saturday - I'll be #102 on a YZ 125 in the Women's MX League race (amatuer class - red backgrounds - blue is pro) I'll be the one who gets really slow and tired after 3 laps :) Come say hi if you get a chance!

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'm screwed.

I made a commitment to help a buddy who's racing at Road Atlanta this weekend. I gotta start writing this stuff down. I would try to weasel out of the deal, but I'm just not that kinda guy.

Some day, all this good karma I'm accruing will pay off. :silly:

Y'all have fun without me. I'll be sitting in the paddock at Road Atlanta--bored out of my mind.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
KDXDan - Here is the Full Schedule (sign up times, practice/race times, classes offered, fees, etc...) and here is the Steel City Event Flyer

Looks like pretty much the same amatuer classes both Friday and Saturday - what number and class will you and your son be racing? I'll make sure to cheer for you two! :) (We won't get there until later Friday morning - so doesn't look like any Friday track time for us)

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
nikki

My son races 10-11 65 class on a KX-65. His number is currently 1 however we will probably have to add an x or something else. If i can beg/borrow/steel a trailer I will be in Open-D (second race) on a KDX 200. My number is 5 but that will probably be taken by the time we get there. I'll probably be the only one there not on a MX bike. If you're in my class don't run me over;)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I'll be there sunday. Either look for a silver Dakota with a big DRN logo on the back window or a blonde dork with a goatee and DRN hat. :cool: Hope to run into some of you there.

As for being elbow to elbow. If your in a big enough group, you can hog up a pretty good section of fencing. Thats what we did last year with our group of 20 or so. :p

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I'm going Sunday. I believe AJ & Jer will be there all weekend

Top Bottom