Anyone gone back to WR cam timing after the "grey

BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
My WR is running great after the grey wire mod. Before that, I was searching for the answer and changed to YZ spec cam timing. Just wondering if anyone has gone back to or is still under WR cam specs with the grey wire mod. and how much difference they noticed.

Thump on!

Handl-it

Jun 1, 2000
Well I never tried the cam timing change yet, I fear loss of good bottom end power. As It is Iam pretty darn happy with it now! Just went trail riding this weekend and went up to 9000ft, slight bog in the middle above 6000ft but if you start in a low gear and rev the guts out of it it pulls through it. One wire who would thunk it!

wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
handl-it,

i don't think there is a loss of "bottom end power" with the yzf timing. my seat-of-pants feel is that there is more usable power, it's broader, and it revs faster so you get into the mid-high power quicker. the combination of the yzf timing, open(or vortip) exhaust, and the cut grey wire, in concert with the wr's nominally heavier flywheel, make for a great, flexible, and controllable powerband. i have no desire to "go back" to the wr timing. i don't see that it's going to have any benefit, and may do more harm than good in terms of sucking the midrange and top down. basically, with the mods above, you have a yzf-spec engine with a heavier flywheel on it. that's not a bad thing. :*)

the wrooster

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Wrooooster and you fuss at me!!!!!!

There you go again.......
you really need to tell everyone how you really feel (gotcha!) :D

everyone and their sister will see what you wrote and go buy one of these things.......
:confused:
Hype it up, everyone buys one, dang it........
its bad enough at my age to ride with the kids out there.....and now.......you have to put everyone on the same machine!.......
I finally get a leg up and then you go at it......

FINE! See if I send you any beach photos with butt floss.........

One downside I have noticed with oh.....70+ miles with the grey wire snipped....I am really chewing up my rear tire!......:p

HR
:cool:
If its tourist season, how come we cant shoot 'em?

Handl-it

Jun 1, 2000
Power is a good thing! I like the low end chug also and quick revs dont work well when traction is scarce. I hope someone comes out with a 300 kit, that would be perfect. Hey HR not everybody likes the bike, some real neat things can be said about a big cushy Xr seat on a long ride. I guess the next step is to change the timing and see what it works like, and a bigger seat for monkey butt.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Crash

SFC, the snipping of one gray wire under the seat of the US spec WR bikes has been called the greatest power mod to the bike money can buy,,,,, and its free. The wire is belived to be part of a circuit that remaps the midrange ignition and retartds the timing and nuters the bike to meet some kind of still questionable emmisions restriction.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
wright you are wrooster, went to thumpertalk.com,wr400/wr426 forum, post named "grey"..or "grey wire" (can't remember now, too much 2stroke exhaust fumes over the years) that post tells it all.....wow!

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Wrooster you are going to . ..

ruin it for us all............you need to stop........you obviously didnt heed my previous posting........
you are out of control.........

;)

HR

wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
h-r,

yes, i know i'm out of control and my bike has the scars to prove it... :eek:

but relax, go have a beer-- the "grey wire" posts on thumpertalk are so long that by the time these guys get finished reading them the summer will be over and it'll be time to put the snowboard rack back on the car. so they won't be out riding and clogging the single track trails, they'll be busy scrolling down over on thumpertalk. oh, whoops, i'm sorry i forgot you guys don't have those things we mainland easterners call "seasons" out there in hawaii. unless of course you just go by "tourist hunting season" and "not tourist hunting season". :cool:

hey, but i got a question for you...are you still riding with the stock wr "fatty" gas tank or have you invested in the slimmer acerbis or ims tank? my problem is that my brother has the yzf, and everytime i get on it i feel like, well, hmmm, never said this before, there's, ahem, ummm "less between my legs". less, as in less bike, like you're not sitting on a barrel but instead on a ktm125sx. so i'm considering getting a slim tank (acerbis) and then of course one needs the yzf-spec seat (sdg sells a complete setup for like US$90). but all of these tanks trade width for depth, and some, like the ty davis tank, hang down so far as to cover up the hot start and choke to the extent that you *must* get a remoted hot start setup. just wondering what you were sitting on...

the wrooster

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Sitting on.............

lots of grey hair.......;)

we wont go there.....

Stock.....plain stock, I would love to go thinner, but I dont in any way want to loose the fuel capacity. I put a 3+ gal unit on my CR and I love it, stock seat etc.
I have seen the Ty Davis one, and heck you cant even see the Carb, so the choke and hot start will be a religious event. Does the Acerbis hang down that low? SDG.....new one for me......they have a web site?
But yes I want a thinner tank and the flat seat.....once I remove the rim protectors (tires, I think Yamaha jokingly calls them, but after grey wire snipping, the rear is disappearing quick!!! wooooo hoooooo) and get some real rubber on the bike I would like to know what it is like to be able to turn!.......
Yeah, the weather here is awesome.........(I think I might have mentioned it on this forum ? ? ? ? ?:p ) But I guess I bragged about it toooooo much, the Army is moving me this summer, in fact next month.... :(
Going to Fort Lewis Washington, but the riding there is super as well, but they do have those "season" things. guess all the more reason to buy kewl gortex riding stuff, and add neat bobbles to the WRs.......hmmm
If you get the tank, let me know what you think, k? First thing I am going to have to do when I hit the mainland is get the vortips for the son's and my bikes.....then the tank/seat......(I need another job!!)
and a trailer
and and and........I just love toys.......

HR

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
hey h-r, ft lewis! ha! yup, better get the gortex:D ,btw, you still got rubber on your tires riding on hawaii, isn't that just lava rock. i'd hate to have your rubber bills. second job, don't worry,CIC bush is gonna give you a BIG pay raise!..you aught to be able to afford that extra can of soda a week now.

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Whoaaa SGT!

got 2(-) years until I dont have to worry about it any more!.......20 is in my cross hairs!
Gortex.......got it
Rubber.....actually.....the riding here is awesome!.......few rocks.....
Soda.........how about some JD......
then we are talking.......
swing by Airborne and we will toss a few back! ;)

HR

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
2 yrs left?..better you than me..HA!..i gotta get a real bike befor i stop by anywhere, my 87kdx200 barley gets me down the trails, when i sell my duplex looks like i'll be going for the wr426, after cutting the grey wire i imagine it'll be all of 5 min befor i brake myself gooooood! good luck with the move, maybe you'll see me in a couple of months in the crash and burn section!:cool:

Top Bottom