Anyone had Screw removed from ankle?

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
Hi everyone, I'm pretty much a lurker on this site. Learning a lot from you guys.

I've got a screw that goes through my fibula and tibula. The doc will be removing it Monday. I opted for local anethesia. If anyone out there has done this under a local, can you let me know how it felt?

I'm not able to post the xray here. But if you're curious, it's on www.PanicRev.org

Thanks

DezDuster

Sponsoring Member
Sep 19, 2002
Its no big deal to have it removed using a local. I had the same thing done in 1982 along with a plate and 6 screws just above the right ankle. The screw thru the tib/fib kept me from rotating the bones and, of course, had to be removed after the breaks healed enough, but I elected to leave the plate and the other screws in place and have had no problem with it for the last 21 years.

LazyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2003
Psalm31.24, I broke my tib and fib about a month and a half ago and had two pins going right through the two bones. I thought that it would be very painful to get them out but it is actually not painful at all you can barly feel it. Good luck in the recovery.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Psalm31.24 to clarify for Lazyboy (my son) his was a slightly different scenario than yours. He had pins not screws and they were removed without any anesthetic. I went to your site and noticed your name is Troy (same as LazyBoy) maybe there is a connection to the name and tib/fib injuries :laugh:

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
Hey Chili, thanks for the clarification . . . uh, I think. I was happy to hear there was no pain for Lazyboy, sad to hear his situation is different from mine. Oh well, get them out this coming monday. If you hear a scream from out west it's me! actually, people tell me a tooth extraction hurts more.

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
Hey Chili, it was pretty funny actually.
1) The doc injected me with a local anesthesia, then waited for it to take effect
2) He looked at the x-ray then felt for the screw with his fingers.
3) He started cutting & found the WRONG SCREW! He found the bottom screw holding my plate in (see the image on www.panicrev.org) not the big horizontal one securing my fibula and tibia.
4) So he moves the knife .5" down my ankle and starts CUTTING AGAIN. The only thing is the local anesthesia isn't as strong down there and a I can feel the knife, the scissors, and whatever else he had in his toolbelt! Ouch . . . even the stitching hurt.
5) Backing out the screw was no problem, I could feel it but it didn't hurt.
6) My wife took pictures of the whole procedure. Can hardly wait for them to get developed.

Thanks for asking! If you can get to my profile and find my email address Send me your email address and I'll send you some pics!

Top Bottom