wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I have read a lot of great stuff about the CRF250X and I'm thinking of getting one as an upgrade from my KDX200. (I'm 6'2" 220 w/o gear, C rider, mostly trail and some track.)

Has anyone gotten a CRF250X and later wished they hadn't?

Thanks!

jabbott233686

Jun 25, 2006
im all for the 250x because it has electric start a kickstand and a quiet pipe, but if you were leaning towards racing the r would be just as good a decision, but there are plenty of parts for the x that can make it a great racer. the r is much more likely to stall and die in closed trails than the x is, so for either bike the boyesen quickshot is a must.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I ride mostly trails but I like having fun on an MX track too.

I have many good things about the X. I was just wondering if anyone had gotten it and wish they hadn't; maybe it wasn't powerful enough, maybe the power delivery wasn't as they hoped, maybe they couldn't get the jetting right, etc.

High Sider

Feb 25, 2006
For years honda said they had no out of the ordinary problems with their valves. Earlier this year I was buying for my son and myself and the dealer said that the valve problem had been fixed in 06 I believe. apparently the material used in the valves did not match (one part being softer/different metal than the other part) causing unusual and problematic wear at times. It's a great bike either the x or the R but let's face it the bike has been overhauled every year since it's debut. Be prepared for maybe a little more attention to the bike than your old bike. Anyway I purchased the WR250 from yamaha and mostly ride woods but also mx with my family. I love the bike and I know what I'm getting with it. It may be worth a look to you. Good luck.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
High Sider said:
Earlier this year I was buying for my son and myself and the dealer said that the valve problem had been fixed in 06 I believe. apparently the material used in the valves did not match (one part being softer/different metal than the other part) causing unusual and problematic wear at times.

It's a great engine, and a great bike overall, but the wear rate on the intake valves has not changed significantly this year compared to last year.

High Sider

Feb 25, 2006
I agree with the other thread the honda is a great bike and I waited years to get one but I'm glad I got the Yamaha WR250. Pleanty of power low and high, light, nimble, comfortable and just plain fun to ride. It handles great on the track and is superb in the woods. With the WR250 you don't have to scream the bike to have fun and it is pleanty of power through the power band. hope this helps.

Top Bottom