drxr

Sep 30, 2003
I currently have a 96 xr250r and am considering the upgrade to a ktm 450exc. I was wondering if there are any proud owners of a ktm out there who might recommend this move. I am not a real aggressive rider, just enjoy trail riding in the woods and in colorado. Is this too much bike, or is it manageable? Also, my xr is really clean. What might I expect to get out of it if I want to sell it? Thanks!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I just got an 04 EXC 450. I only have about 3 hours on it but love it thus far. It'll be tremendously different than your old bike though, A lot more power and far better handling. As always I'd recommend riding one before I bought to make certain that you like it.

Nordegg

Nov 5, 2002
DRXR, I don't have the 450 but I made the switch from an XR250 to a 2002 400EXC last year. NO regrets, and I liked my 250. I used to hound my XR400 buddies in the woods with the nimble 250, they pounded me on hills. I still thrash them in the woods, but now also on the hills, and especially on bumpy trails. The EXC has loads of power, with a nice even delivery. It can be put-putted in the heavy going, or claw its way up mountains.

Drawbacks? Hard seat, REALLY hard seat. More frequent oil changes required, and the proceedure is awkward. VERY worthwhile change, I didn't believe my old bike was holding me back but WOW have I improved. My buddies are now all buying new bikes.

Have fun!

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
JustQL, congratulations! I rode with you at Red River a while back; I'm the guy with the 400SX. Hope you like the 450; I've ridden an '04 450E/XC, and I found it an incredible bike with an amazingly sweet motor. Probably my next bike, unless I get a two-stroke 250E/XC. The '04s are supposed to be wonderful machines. Hope to get a chance to ride with you again, maybe at the 500 some time.

Jim

tlm

Feb 20, 2001
I am the proud owner of a 04 450 EXC, I just came off a KLX 300 which was a great trail bike. This bike has the most amazing power, never over powering, always as much as needed when it is needed. It does not feel scary fast or try to pull my arms out when I accelerate, just pulls and pulls. It is deceptively fast. I am a faster rider on this bike with a lot less effort. The handling is like nothing else I have riden, ride it hard and it feels better, putt and it feels great. It is heavy but never feels it on the trail and it will do anything I ask it to.

I ride with my son and friends so various speeds and love the single track where this bike shiines, it is flickable. Go to KTMtalk.com and ask them their opinions, great folks.

It adjusts to my style, I do not have to adjust to it's style of riding. Like others I suggest you ride one if you can and get you name on the list as quick as you can. Then buy orange gear, paint the truck, the wife, the dog, the kids orange and go riding.

Tim

Top Bottom