anyone here train with mountain bikes?

leeinmemphis

Oct 19, 2000
i left work early today to come home and play with my new toy, changed clothes, and got to the door and it was RAINING....talk about a sour end to a good day! i did get a specialized computer, a "mini pump", tube, gloves, helmet, and tire irons. the only thing the bike needs is someone who is in shape. oh by the way mr wr., i went and bought a set of those shorts that you were talking about and boy let me tell you that they are night and day difference from the old cannondale shorts that i've been using. the shorts were also on sale at the sports authority so i got two pair for the price of one! also my bike came with a seat that has the hole or groove in the seat for relief. i guess that they made that change this year because last years model didn't have one. all i can say is that i am looking forward to tomorrow and riding my bike. see ya.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Lee,

Good to go :) You'll love those shorts!! I have a black and blue pair and really like them. The comfort level is high and they do a great job in wicking away dampness!

Have a good time, glad I could be of help to you...

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200
90 WR250 (FOR SALE)

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I would never switch my brakes on my mtb. I am right handed and need the strength/stamina to keep on the brakes. On these trails, the brakes are on steady, does anybody know a cure for arm pump on a mtb????

------------------
The Original Canadian Speedster
1985 XR100R
1978 XL250S

leeinmemphis

Oct 19, 2000
boy this has been one expensive week! my new ktm400exc wasn't supposed to be in until around jan and they called and said that they had one come in early. man a new bike and motorcycle in two days...this must just be my week. now i don't know which one to ride tomorrow...decisions, decisions, decisions. see ya.

leeinmemphis

Oct 19, 2000
well mr. wr, i took your advise and rode both. boy am i tired. i rode my mountain bike for around an hour in my neighborhood and wore my butt out. then i went for i very slow and light ride on my new ktm. man what a motorcycle. i honestly believe that out of the box i'll be a faster and more capable rider. this bike just turns on a dime. the only thing that i don't like is that it doesn't like to powerslide like my old wr. from the little that i rode it, it appears that it likes to approach the corners with a constant speed and carry it through the corner. well gotta go soak in the tub, my butt is killing me even with my new shorts! lol.....see ya.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Lee,

Good to go! Yea, the ole b-hind will be sore for a few weeks. Of course the more you ride the better it will get. Keep in mind that your cables on your MTB will strech a bit and a the shifting / brakes will get a bit loose and out of adjustmennt. How do you like the SID's so far??? I'm sure they are sweet, much like the WP's on the KTM!
Enjoy both bikes :D

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200
90 WR250 (FOR SALE)

P_Taylor

Uhhh...
Jun 17, 2000
If you are looking for indoor training while the weather is bad check out the web site. www.spinervals.com
They have videos that you ride along with on a trainer that are from 45 to 90 minutes in length.I think 7 different tapes in all that are based oninterval training

P_Taylor

Uhhh...
Jun 17, 2000
I have numbers 3 ,5 and 7. I go through them on a schwinn airdyne or on a cycle ops trainer/mountain bike.
The tapes are a workout but just like any other program you have to put forth the effort to get results.

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
If anyone is looking for bikes or parts I work for a Pro MTB Team and we bikes and parts for sale from time to time MTB and Road stuff. You can e-mail at Napper67@aol.com for a faster reply. You can also let XRPredator know also since I know he has a love for Mountain Bikers.

[This message has been edited by michman (edited 12-09-2000).]

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
I can't resist upsetting the apple cart. If you're planning to ride mostly gnarly, rutted, rocky downhill at insane speeds by all means get a full suspension mtb with disk brakes and the whole nine yards. For most mtb riding a hardtail with front suspension is more than adequate. I spent a couple years racing mountain bikes with no suspension and have a few trophies to refute the notion that the benefits of suspension on a bicycle offset the penalty imposed by the additional weight.

[This message has been edited by cycleboy (edited 12-14-2000).]

Formula

Sep 21, 2000
I up until this May had never ridden a Motorcycle, but I was racing XC mountain bikes locally and at provincial (state) events. I was putting in 5-7hrs. a week of riding my tricked out hardtail. I was in great shape but then something happened.

I finally got a new job I was after (Network Analyst) and riding to work (25k round trip) stopped Then my boss invited me to try dirt biking out, I had always wanted to try it and couldn’t wait. I envisioned tabletops (jumps), wheelies, throwing the bike around, clearing doubles and the rest of what I saw on TV. So when we got out there he said "just try 1st and 2nd gear until you get used to it" and I was like “more like 3rd and 4th and big air”. Not a chance, the XR200 I was on was 10 times heavier and soo unresponsive to steering input compared to my 21.5lb bicycle. I just couldn’t point my way through the tight trails like on my bike, I was amazed that I wasn’t strong enough to bunnyhop it or even use the same bicycle body english at all. Plus what the heck is the front brake doing on the right side, and how do you coordinate this pedal brake dealy. What I did love was when there was a straight-away or hill, it made my bicycle like, well ugh - human powered. I was always hoping for a little point and shoot action. I was at 5% blood adrenaline levels; it was and still is awesome. I have but can’t afford to anymore, raced Formula Fords and I still love them but the power to weight ratio of a 250MX bike is so much higher that it puts them to shame. Now maybe a Toyota Atlantic car might be closer but @ $250,000 a season I’m not sure I’ll ever know. I guess I just fell in love with them and now and I can’t stop.

So then it really happened, my pedal bike took second best to motorcycling, I purchased a 90 RMX and I haven’t looked back. Though I’m still learning, every knew ride is better and better, and soon I will be able to say to the RMX what I say to my pedal bike “Now I am the master”. (STAR WARS reference– hey some people have never seen it – the same people that say “motorbikes are too loud and lets ban rain because it erodes the trails, a motorcycle you must be a hooligan, I’m scared of stuff)

Anyways bicycles are great training for motorcycles.

Anything with 2 or 4 wheels should be driven hard and raced even harder always all the time.

------------------
90-RMX 250
Formula Ford

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 12-14-2000).]

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I would have to disagree on NOT getting a Full Suspension Bike. People have this notion that Full suspension bikes are for Racers only. But it's actually the opposite. Most hardcore racers (excluding DH racers of course)have hardtails. A full suspension bike is great for the rider starting out. It makes the ride more enjoyable and leaves you less fatigued. Think how beat up you were before you got your Front fork. Personally I own a Specialized S-works M4 hardtail. Yea it weighs under 21lbs but it has a very agressive geometry that the average rider probably wouldn't like. Not to mention it's very stiff.

Check out www.bikesourceonline.com It's the shop I work for.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Most of my friends ride hard tails even though they race downhill, dual slalom and cross country. Mountain bikes are great for training except for the weight factor. Before I got my dirtbike I rode my mountain bike for about an hour a day, mostly uphill. I could barely lift my dirtbike when i first got it, mostly because I just wasn't used to the weight. Now I pick it up no problem and find it feels really light. Mountain bikes are a lot of fun!!!

------------------
The Original Canadian Speedster
1985 XR100R
1978 XL250S

KID KDX

May 15, 2001
Keep in shape

Ok, I own a 1999 Cannondale Super V Raven 3000, and A HomeGrown hardtail, with mid to top of the line components. The Raven is awesome (spare the price: $4,500) Awesome everything, suspension, shifting, weight (23 pounds) And my hardtail is awesome too. Although it weighs more than my full suspension rig, they are sooo much fun. But of course, you can't beat dirt bike riding!! It really does keep me in shape, I am coming off a broken leg (dirt bike) and they wont let me ride moto, but I can ride Mountain bike, so that is really helping my leg get stronger. All in all, full suspension ROCKS!! But dirt bikes are better:D

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
I ride BMX to stay in shape. I got a 1999 Free Agent raceway ($500us or $850 can). I love riding BMX in my spare time, other to dirtbiking. I also got a MTN bike thats got NO susension:o . It's not a crappy bike, it just has no suspension. It's a Tech-alite>not a k-mart or zellers bike!. I bent the crank arm the other day, and it now rubs on the frame really bad!. I wish I had a full suspension MTN bike because then I'd race downhill @ Silver Star MTN ( only 30min from where i live !)

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Careful with the brakes.

I raced MTB's a few years back. My best was a bronze medal in the Ohio State Championship. However, after getting back into dirt bikes I had a problem. I bought a KDX (first bike with hydraulic brakes!) and two weeks later rode it on the same trail where I train for the MTB races. When I went to grab the rear brake to slide the back around I instinctly grabbed the right hand brake lever and high-sided the bike and cracked two ribs. Many riders will switch the brakes around on a MTB so the rear brake is on the left but mine is still setup as stock. Boy do those hydraulic front brakes grab when you yank 'em:o

Top Bottom