Anyone race in Freestyle pants?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
The other day I was at the track and I forgot my riding pants but had my freestyle pants(the ones that cover the boots). Any way, when I was riding, I noticed that I could grip the bike with my legs so much better. The fabric between the boots and the bike frame felt like I had grip tape on the bike. So now I have a race this weekend and thinking about wearing them for the race.

Anyone else feel more comfortable in freestyle pants and race with them instead of traditional riding pants?

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I started wearing the freestyle pants two years ago, and havent bought anything else since. They are much more comfortable, and it is nice having the pockets as well. Another added plus is that in a muddy enduro, you get much less mud, etc., in your boots, as they are covered. I also rarely snag any buckles.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
hmmmm, pockets eh????.... I can't beleive that riding pants have no pockets.... so dumb.... just even one little one, for the car door key would be nice... I'm gonna get a pair now...

wizard69

May 3, 2001
I used to wear fox 180s and then I got a pair of fleshgear baggies and two pairs of shift baggies.I like baggies so much more just so much more roomie and unrestrictive.they all have pockets I like the flesh ones with cargo pockets.all of my pants zip off into shorts which is realy nice on a hot day.they come right down to the top of my boot with the legs off.I'm never going back to baggies.be carful starting your bike because the kickstart can go up your pantleg which will make you fall over when you go to put your foot down and can't touch the ground.I have a friend who races in in a very competitive class and he did that which made him fall on the guy next to him.funny but he was very embaressed

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
You know I've been thinking the same thing. I love my shift mx pants for riding, but it is soooo stupid that they do not have even a tiny pocket. I have also been thinking about going to cargo type riding pants so I can hold keys, cell phone, plugs without a fanny pack, I don't like having that around my waist too much. Also shift and other companyies are putting all those stupid rubber logos all over their pants that make them weigh ten pounds! I actually cut the thigh logos off my one pair and can really tell the difference! I am just worried about the pants and my chain meeting. Do you guys ever have that problem?

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
I wear Shift Squadron pants while riding (not racing) and love them. They are very comfortable and have a cinch strap at the bottom to tighten on the boot. I never wear them zipped off for shorts though, seems a little unnecessary to me. The logos are a little bulky though, but I never really notice. I've been wearing Squadron pants for years and never had an incident with the chain.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I've had the axo and now the new troy lee design pants. Make sure and get the pants with some type of zipper, or closure system at the bottom of the pant leg. It makes getting the boots on \ off much easier, and also alleviates the chances of getting the pant leg snagged on the kickstarter or in the chain. The axo's didnt have the tapered leg, and I kept snagging the kickstarter, which eventually ripped the right leg. The TLD pants are right at $100, and are a great buy. Roomy, with two zippered, cargo pockets.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I got a set of LBZ pants. They don't have the cargo pockets but has a small zippered pocket about big enough for a small wallet. I use it to put $ and my district and AMA card in. I have never had the problem that with kickstater but my pants fit tight around the top of my boot because I wear knee guards that stick into my boot.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
OK one more question: How about the length of the pants? Does anyone have the pants shortened if they are too long? I'm 5'8" and the regular motocross pants are usually a perfect length for me. I don't know how long the freestyle pants run.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I tried an "over the boot" style riding pant for awhile. I'd wear 'em all the time if it weren't for the the cuff that kept hanging up on the frame guards, causing some pretty silly looking crashes. I haven't had a problem with the kickstarter, but I'm sure it could happen if I wore them while riding the 125 (the shorter/lower kickstart could get caught easily).

Looks like I'll have to stick to those old fashioned (but practical for riding) goofy looking "in the boot" pants. :|

Last edited:

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
I raced in baggies all during the 97-99 race seasons. The cuffs of my pants got pretty ragged from minor snags on the pegs, but they never caused me to crash or anything. The main reason I went back to Fox 360s is because my SMP baggies didn't ventilate very well. I stay much cooler in traditional race pants.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…