Anyone removed their thermostat?

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Has anyone removed the thermostat off of their 400EXC? My dealer has done it to his bike and it makes sense to me. In warm temps, the thermostat only slows the flow of coolant throughout the cooling system. In the cold, then then stat works to keep the temps up and as long as you let the bike warm up properly running without it shouldnt be a problem, or am I way off?

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
The t-stat is a restrictor in the cooling system. Removing it allows the coolant to move too fast, which causes cavitation. Bubbles will actually form on the coolant passages, creating hot spots. What do you think transfers heat better, air or coolant? Just leave it in.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by gasgasman
The t-stat is a restrictor in the cooling system. Removing it allows the coolant to move too fast, which causes cavitation. Bubbles will actually form on the coolant passages, creating hot spots. What do you think transfers heat better, air or coolant? Just leave it in.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I thought the SX's came without the t-stat. Can any of you RFS SX owners confirm or deny that, please?

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
When you say "remove the thermostat" do you mean the whole housing or the actual thermostat? The SX's do not have a thermostat or housing. If you want to remove the thermostat on an EXC then remove the entire housing with it to avoid the cavitation.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by dstktmusa
When you say "remove the thermostat" do you mean the whole housing or the actual thermostat? The SX's do not have a thermostat or housing. If you want to remove the thermostat on an EXC then remove the entire housing with it to avoid the cavitation.

Thanks dstktmusa. What do you replace the housing with? Is there a special Y pipe or will any hardware store Y pipe that fits the hoses work?

Top Bottom