Anyone ride the Rattlesnake Enduro?

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
The ride wasn't bad. I had a horrible time before the race. Decided to go Friday. Went to a lake to ride my Jet Ski until Sat night at 10:00PM. Did not work on my bike or get my stuff ready. Drove past the little town of Cross Forks. Lost my ECEA card 5 years ago had to take test. Forgot my boots with the ICO'S in them. Had to beg for boots. Could not find my friends that said they were going. Wife said I better take it easy because the last three Enduros resulted in Broken toes, ribs and a torn rotator cuff. Started cramping up at 70 roll chart miles. I think I saw Lori KTM in the woods. I took my time and had fun. Didn't really do much time keeping. It was the third worst score I ever had at 106.

The trails were nice I'm used to more mud and rocks. I didn't like the free rollchart but it worked. #1 Jart chart is my favorite. The grass track was nice and some trails real tight. I would do this race again if I was a little bit prepared to race. My only goal was to finish with no broken bones. You can almost see the bone on my forearm.

Nice ride!
Crippler

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
Crip you should have stayed at home. I was on row 73 and had a great time. I needed an easy ride after the last 2. Now that I have my confidence back I'm ready for Foggy Mnt.

Mar 13, 2001
LoriKTM and I were there along with a bunch of guys from our club (Southern Tier Enduro Riders). I rode with Lori, the goal being for me to observe how she rides in a competition setting and get her as far along the trail as possible.

On the upside, she rode really well after the first road section. Maintaining, roughly a 12-15mph average in fairly tight woods. I got left on the side of the trail after bending my rear sprocket on a rock.:scream: Several minutes of work with a pair of pliers and the help of one of the sweeps and I was back underway. Riding like the wind I was able to race into the first gas only a minute or two behind Lori. We were down far enough that we had to rush the gas stop and we charged back onto the trail about a minute down.

Unfortunately, Lori hit a wall endurance wise and we houred out after check 6. :( We proceeded to take our time and followed the trail to the second gas stop. Unfortunately for us the crew at check 7 took down all the arrows between where the check was and the gas stop and we almost got lost in the woods.:scream:

We both thought that the trail arrowing needed work. Some markings were confusing or not prominent enough. We also wanted to know the criteria by which hills were or were not indicated on the chart. It seemed like the ones on the chart were not that bad while some others that were tough weren't on the chart.:think Also don't take down the arrows until you are sure that all riders are out of the section or are being helped by the sweep crew. Getting lost up there would have been no joke, its a big area and hard to search.

Overall we had a good time and Lori learned a bunch about how fast she can ride, what sort of things she needs to work on, and where her endurance limits are. The run was tough enough that she might even take back all of those sadist accusations she made about me and woods rider. But then again maybe she won't.:p
---------------------------------------------------------
There's a fine line between genius and madness, and I think I've just crossed it.

OldManIn

Mar 12, 2001
I have to apologize for the arrow removal. I was one of the people at check 7. If LoriKTM was the one with the tassles on her bike (from her father) then we did know she was out there. Her father was at check 7 with us because she hadn't shown up yet. I even walked the trail back about half a mile where I ran into cleanup crew taking down arrows. One of the sweep riders informed us she was still out there and he was checking on her progress periodiclally. He said she was determined and stuborn and wouldn't give up. (Way to go LoriKTM). We thought at the time that she was the only one out there and sweep riders had her covered. Again I apologize for the arrowing coming down early.

I hope you enjoyed the race otherwise.

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
Dam it Denny we were riding together and didn't know it. I was on 74. Did you have a RORR shirt or something like that. I know 2 guys on 73 kept hanging with us then taking off. I couldn't tell how far off our guys were on time.

Offroadwarrior
I stopped on a hill after the first gas stop because I saw a guy with glasses on a KTM and a Female with a KTM200. The female came down the hill to move a branch for me and I told her I'm alright. She saw my DRN sticker and gave me the thumbs up. Did Scott and Kenny make it from your club?

The girl with tassles was on an XR200 and her name was on the tank.

Did I mention the boots I borrowed were to small and I only had a 1/2 gallon of gas in my can. I'm glad my 3.2 gallon tank made it.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
Crip thats funny so close but out of touch. I was a single rider with 3 guys from Buffalo. We signed up Saturday evening and we had to split up to get a better number. So my 2 buddies were on row 72. I was the guy on the KDX and I have a UFO Dual Sport fender exstention with Vt. plates. Are you going to Speedsville in Aug. I'm planning on staying in Towanda the night before and registering at the event.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hey TreeCrippler, I thought that was you. I was thinking to myself later, hmm, who do I know with a WR400 and DirtRider.Net fender stickers?? You caught me having a moment there on the hill. The other KTM rider was OffRoadWarrior, my husband.

All in all, I thought it was some very good trail. There were some really fun uphills and downhills, and no real stoppers or bottleneck sections. I rode all the terrain, I just wasn't fast enough to keep up with the 24mph speed average in the second section after the gas. There were a few really tight tree and rock sections that slowed me way down.
I wish I could have finished, but I learned a lot and had fun. It was only the second enduro I've ever entered.

OldManIn, Nicole was the one on the XR200 with the tassles. We passed her in the first section, and I didn't see her again. I hit an energy wall at about the midway point of the second section after the gas, so we took our time and just finished the trail-- we were only 10 miles out from the second gas, but it seemed to take forever. I knew I was really late and didn't expect the check crew to still be there, but was kind of disconcerted when we saw that the arrows had been removed for the last couple tenths before the second gas!
After a wrong turn, we found our way back to the gas. An older gentleman asked me if I had seen another girl out there, and I said no. That must have been Nicole's dad. I hadn't seen anyone for at least 30 or 40 minutes, before we came in. Sounds like she made it through ok.

We followed a truck back to the campground, and turned in our scorecards. I know 3 of the women in the class finished the event. Not exactly sure where I ended up.

It was a good event, could have been really nasty if it had rained. Maybe I'll have better luck next year!

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
Lori you get a "that a girl" from me. You and your husband had a full week end since you rode on Friday in Modena. When the group of you started organizing the Friday ride I felt it was to much to ride both, so I did Rattlesnake. The 2 of you didn't hold back and congratulations for your efforts.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Thanks Denny. We had part of Saturday to recover. Well, at least enough time to wash the Friday mud off and drive down to PA and set up camp! It was a loong weekend. Today is the first day that I'm not tired and sore!

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
Denny I don't know if I have Speedsville off yet. I have 3 months of filling in for people on vacation or sick leave. I always say Ithaca Dirt Riders put on the best events.

Lori
I too give you the thumbs up!! Here you are half way up a hill and come down to help out. The reason I stopped was to see if you had any DRN stickers. You made it past a lot of tough trails. As long as you have fun and have a lot of stories to tell it was worth the $40. I hate to say it but if you made it to the second gas it was all dirt road until you hit the grasstrack. So close!!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by Tree Crippler
I hate to say it but if you made it to the second gas it was all dirt road until you hit the grasstrack. So close!!

I know, I know! :(
An hour late and a dollar short. Or something like that. :) I did have fun, and enjoyed the trails. I think we're going to try Speedsville, too. I know it's probably not going to have trails as easy, but it's close by. (And I'm a glutton for punishment. :eek: )

Didn't have any DRN stickers with me, either. (Not like I carry them in a fanny pack, just in case I meet another DRN'er! ;) ) Maybe I should stock up?

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
Lori and OffRoad Warrior
I was looking for the stickers on your bike to see if it was you guys. I think I got a few extras. I hope I get Speedsville off. They have great trails. The Dual Sport and Enduro are the same time. The trails won't be quite as tight and they will find some mud. Little to no rocks besides creek section. Possible grass and natural .5 mile motocross section no real jumps. Expect bigger hills and a couple off cambers. These guys have put on National Hare Scrambles and ISDE Qualifiers. Also the home and club of Steve Hatch. If you need anything there ask for Charlie. Tell him Ron and Wanita sent you.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
I liked the run, except for the dust on the roads which can't be helped. Fun, not a killer but still an enduro. I signed up Saturday night and was on row 70. Much bigger turnout than the last 2 years. Despite tagging a tree early in the first loop and missing a turn, I had a good ride and scored a 71. I'll be back.

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
I thought it was a great ride. We were up on row 9 and it was just as dusty. The arrowing was a little rough, but you just have to pay attention to the arrowing at their run. Grass track was a blast. You guys should have seen Mike Lafferty, Freddy and Arron Kopp come through the grass track! They must have disconnect their brains at that last checkin! Did anyone see the real stylish KTM rider in the Hawian shirt that was me. I'm post entering Foggy Mountain and will again be sporting my good luck red hawain shirt so come up and introduce yourselves.

Mark

OldManIn

Mar 12, 2001
Schlava,
I wish I could have seen Lafferty running the grass track. I was at check 7 but I heard he crashed on the grass track at the beginning but still had the best time. I marked Lafferty's card at check 7 and he was all grins. He simply said "Awesome ride".

So I sounds like most enjoyed the run - glad to hear it.:cool:

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
Denny,

We forgot to pre-enter! I was back on row 54. What a blast on sunday huh? I think Foggy was the best rock run of the year so far. Thank god that rain held out. Do you remember their names?

Mark

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
No I'm bad with names but they were both from Md. and one rode A-SSR the other A-Lite. Good guys, good run, and a good time what more can you ask for?

Top Bottom