ride2live

Oct 26, 2005
I'm looking to do some riding this coming weekend, preferably Saturday, Anyone else want to go? Where?

How much snow is on the ground?

Tin Cup?
West Higgins?
Evart?

Thanks,

Bill

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Bill - I was figuring on riding somewhere this weekend, so I'm game. Pick a place and time. I'll be back from Ohio early afternoon Friday.

Young Ted

ride2live

Oct 26, 2005
Missaukee Junction, 10:30, 12-9-06

Young Ted,

Looking at the weather and snow pack information at:

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/index.html?&region=Northern_Great_Lakes

I think Missaukee Junction will likely still have some snow by Saturday and may be more likely to be untracked than places around Baldwin or Muskeegon.

Perhaps we can have a nice, un-organized, trail ride up there.

Right now I'm gunning for two loops but will finalize that decision after the first.

See ya,

Bill Fritz

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Bill - Arrived about an hour ago and will start getting ready to go in a matter of minutes. Your plan sounds good enough for me. If nothing else we can just make the best of it. I'll check back here in the morning before I head down the driveway.
Should there be anyone else that will be riding but doesn't want to say so here for some kind of fear from the 'authorities" ------------it is a sad situation.
A letter in todays mail was addressed to -- Bike Riders and Trouble Makers Inc. It's a shame if you let people down.

Rotten Sucker

ride2live

Oct 26, 2005
Ted,

My plan of record for tomorrow is to be at Missaukee Junction trail head no later than 10:30 a.m.

Cadillac weather forecast calls for a high of 33 and possiblility of some sunshine! sounds like a good day for riding!

See you there - trouble maker...

Bill

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
ride2live said:
Young Ted,

Perhaps we can have a nice, un-organized, trail ride up there.

Bill Fritz
Make sure you guys bring a coke with ya's...hehehe trouble makers!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
I'll be on the road by 5 AM. If Bill and I are the mice on the bar room floor, bring on your ----------------cats.

YT2

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Better Late Than Never

I have borrowed this title from the enduro team from the Harrison area that used it back in the 70’s and 80’s. In this situation it is fitting and proper. The members of the team were Al camp, Kevin Mitchell, Chuck Howard and Gaylen Welch. Do any bells start ringing Randy? I had told Bill after the ride that I would do this after getting home Sunday afternoon. There are times when the best of intentions go astray, and this has sure been one of them. So much for introductions.
My arrival at the parking lot was without incident and on time, so I started to get riding clothes on. Had Bill’s pickup turned the corner a shade sooner he would have caught me with my pants down. I think I was past that point and working on the boots. We exchanged greetings and continued our preparations to go riding. The sun was out with temps in the 20’s and about 6 inches of snow on the ground, plus or minus error of 3%. Bill had parked his trailer somewhat behind my van to unload his bike and then use the trailer as his dressing room. I was busy with my own preparations so I have no idea what goes on in that trailer.
Before leaving home there was only enough time to put the rear studded on. So now I got busy with the drill and a few Kold Kutters, putting only one screw in each row of the front tire. INCA has been in the warm van for five hours and the magic button does the job first class. A quick run up and down the parking lot to get the feel of screws once more and I’m ready to go. We have a short discussion why we are the only ones present. My side is that this is the first openly talked about ride since the permit issue thread came out and the chickens decided to stay in the hen house. If this is wrong, I have no problem being told so. I look at it like the mouse after lapping up the beer on the bar room floor – bring on your --- ---- cats.
At about 10:30 here is where we went, with Bill in the lead. His 450 with Trellies and I believe a Rekluse will go just about anywhere.

Yopung Ted

Attachments

• Trail Head.jpg
    Trail Head.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 162

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Ride2Live leads the way,
INCA follows this fine day.
At the fork, clockwise we go,
Plowing through the snow.

As soon as we get into the rowed tall pines, the snow depth is less and the going is not bad at all. Bill of course just flies and is soon out of sight. Out of the pines and into an open area with small evergreens, the snow depth doubles and I start to have a fight on my hands. I lose and go over on the right side. While my engine is off I can hear the 450 barking away in the distance. The way the trail doubles back it can be that straight line it is only a matter of yards. OK, quite a few. Somewhere after the 5 mile point Bill is coming towards me. He has doubled back to make sure I’m still OK. It is time for a short break to cool down some. I ask Bill what he would have done had I not posted to be there. “I’d probably ride alone anyway. I have matches, maps and a compass.” Woodsy, I didn’t ask if the compass worked.
With the thought of Woodsy at hand, I feel the urge to take this short detour. An article in the paper the other day mentioned that Detroit was 383 miles from Chicago, as the crow flies. My atlas lists 286, so the conclusion is that they used a Woodsy crow that went via Ravenna to get directions.
During this break we can hear snowmobile engines winding out and an occasional rifle shot. It is the second day for muzzle loading season and the sounds are far to the south. It’s soon time to move along before cooling down too much. With 3 tracks to follow now, it isn’t bad,
although I still manage to sample snow more than once. I simply keep plugging along, hearing the 450 now and then. The next time I see Bill headed towards me, it is a welcome sight and time for another break. By this time in the ride I have come to the decision that 4 inches of trail depth will be my maximum. Any more will be just more than I can handle. Now some 2 ½ weeks later as I type this, I’m saying there will be no more snow riding for me for the rest of the winter.
After a few over hill and dale sessions, the parking lot is in view. My running time for the 17-mile loop is 2 hours. Not shabby but it has taken its toll. Bill is OK to make a second loop while I feel to do so would take much too long. I would like to get some action pictures for this report, so we decide to go out a short ways where there would be more sun. This time I lead at my own comfortable pace and the going is actually easy as the temperature is into the 30’s. About 3 miles out I stop and try to get some shots of Bill. Between him being so fast and not used to my camera, we had to do a few repeats to get pictures posted here. While I would double back in first gear, Bill would finish the loop and be back at the lot in an hour.
While I was now taking it slow and cautious, it must have been too much on a right turn around a tree. After all the miles I have ridden INCA, it still isn’t automatic for me to keep up the momentum on turns. Once the high CG starts to go over, so do you. The last 1-½ miles were without incident and I was rather quick to get out of my riding clothes. I was about to get the camera out for a final woods shot, but the roar of the 450 cancelled that idea. Checking watches, Bill had made it in 57 minutes. No one can say he doesn’t know what he’s doing.
And so it was that after brushing some snow off the bikes and getting them loaded, it was time to call it a day at this location. Two roosters have put in a good ride as the sun slowly starts heading for the horizon.

Young Ted

Attachments

• Bill, Moving Along.jpg
    Bill, Moving Along.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Young Ted.jpg
    Young Ted.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Denny - The invincible has landed. When you have a heart to heart talk with Mother Nature, it is best to listen if you care to still be in her world.

Ride On,
YT1

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
INCA said:
Denny - The invincible has landed. When you have a heart to heart talk with Mother Nature, it is best to listen if you care to still be in her world.

Ride On,
YT1

I can appreciate that. If you do get an itch to ride up this way give me a shout. I've got two extra bedrooms, allways stocked up on Clam Chowder and Milk. Currently no snow and the extended forecast is very mild. Take me up on it, winter, spring, summer or fall. Bring Connie. We could ride during the day and off to the Disco after dark. :yikes:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
TCTrailrider said:
I can appreciate that. If you do get an itch to ride up this way give me a shout. I've got two extra bedrooms, allways stocked up on Clam Chowder and Milk. Currently no snow and the extended forecast is very mild. Take me up on it, winter, spring, summer or fall. Bring Connie. We could ride during the day and off to the Disco after dark. :yikes:

Not even Ted disco's any more there "Mayor". Now if ya wanna go clubbin' he may be game for that! Just keep him away from those naked lady bars because he's not old enough for that stuff yet.

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Nice Trail report Young Ted

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Denny - Your application will be kept on file, front and center. I have not forgotten out agreement from last spring and I do my best to keep my word. Connie joining is an entirely different matter and I'll go over it with her later today.

Fred T - I don't know much about the disco thing. My forte is dancing on picnic tables, which I have been a little lax on recently. As for naked ladies, stuff and too young, chew on this for a while. In my post high school days my Mother had a house big enough to be a dormitory for 27 girls from the local business school. There was still room for a full time assistant house mother, two brothers, a sister and who else but me. Yes, it was a BIG HOUSE. In all fairness, I can not accept second banana to anyone in matters of the above topic.
The light bulb just went on. If there is need for a thread to keep things interesting, we have people all over who follow MTR for activity of some kind, perhaps one could be started along the thought of - "Can You Top This One". As usual, one laugh can be declared success.
Curtis - Your opinion is appreciated and filed away in my list of supporters. Personal, not athletic please.

Special to Woodsy -
We have both been somewhat out of the groove,
The time has come to get on the move.
I have thrown the first arrow,
Now show us what is in your wheelbarrow.

Time to head for breakfast and forget that lumps joke, Connie does not use sugar in her coffee.

Trouble Maker

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Bill - If you would like to use your picture in a resume to the model agency - permision granted.

YT2

Top Bottom