Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I WAS going to race Cranberry Lake, until I found out it's $45!!! So, now I'm in a last minute scramble to find someone to ride with Sunday? Anyone going somewhere that wouldn't mind a "tag-along"?

Jeremy

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
All harescrambles are that way. Big bicks. Bigger if you consider that there is also a gate fee, and that you only get to ride a whoppin 45 minutes. Enduros are also about twice as expensive as a poker run but at least you can get good $/hour.

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
At least you can make an argument for enduros. You have a marked course with no quads. You get at least the best single track mapped trails and sometimes you get to "burn in" newly authorized trails. No mass starts. And the clubs are doing it for love and not money. I think enduros are the only love over money events out there. <that might get some comment>

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Amen :thumb: And if you want the full bang for your buck, belly up to the bar and get a long course entry. I hope to do that someday before I get too old. :laugh:

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Originally posted by Highbeam
you only get to ride a whoppin 45 minutes.

Maybe if you quit halfway through. The ones I've done the last 2 years have all been 1.5-2hrs long. And, if that's not long enough, you can always enter the 3hr+ race. The riding time isn't a big issue for me. I'm always beat before the finish. It seems like the price went up about $10 from last year.

I'm hoping to do the enduros next year. It'll be easier to do a series that has fewer races, and essentially, only racing myself.

Jeremy

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Couldn't agree with your more, Jer. Btw there is an ISDE one day event up a camp 18 in a month or so. Might be fun. I'd like to see some more of those in conjunction with the enduro series.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
No flames for Mace, perfect statement, I totally agree.

It looks like you're right Jeremy, 90 minutes instead of 45. Still much too short. The one I attended appeared very commercialized in line with Mace's statement of "for the money". Seems to be a "motocrosser" series and not aimed at us off-road guys. A non-typical majority of 2-stroke bikes, loud bikes, few headlights, track type course, etc. The riders did not appear to be part of the same scene as the off-road enduro type guys. That's what it looked like to me anyway.

Jeremy, if you like trails, and you like to think, you'll love the enduros. With only six per year you can ride the whole series to go for a points total.

I have been tempted to go for the 100+ mile course but I feel like a dope claiming to be a B-class rider. ISDE eh? is it on the NMA site?

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
The only class that ran 45 minutes was the one fishead's boy was in - BTW, as has proven to be a recurrent theme with the lad, he was the picture of true grit as he rode straight into a large stump, nailed his knee good enough to raise his voice an octave or two, then refused to take a breather before he returned to the battle. There were lots of tough little kids out there for that matter. James and I worked two corners during the kiddie races where they tended to need a helping hand, not a complaint amongst 'em. NOBODY complained that the 1 1/2 hours for amatuer/ C classes/ etc. or 2 1/2 hours for the fast guys was too little. The woods were tighter than usual, the conditions were hot and dry - you could barely see through some spots in the woods - some people were using the grass track and the "motocross course", all 3 jumps and a sweeper of it, just to cool off body and machine before they dove back into the woods. Course was 8 miles long, about 7 of which was woods. Turnout was around 300.
Hare Scrambles aren't for everyone - I could take 'em or leave 'em myself, and I lean toward the latter -, but they do offer something enduros & poker runs don't, and that is an actual off road race where you're racing against the guy next to you and a hundred or so just like him, not just a clock, endurance & finesse. As such, the course needs to be somewhat centralized for obvious safety reasons IMO, but it's a long way from what I'd call a motocross course....it ain't nearly that polite. :aj:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Well you missed his most spectacular get off yet. He cased a double hard a couple times up on the mx course and the second time he couldn't ride it out. The front end tucked on the second lip and he went down hard on the backside of the hill before the big jump. I thought that would be all for him but the course worker got him over to the side and he was kicking it over to start it before the worker got him out of the way. He went backward a few places after that until he got his composure. Monday he was telling mom "I need a new bike, mine doesn't have enough suspension or power, I think I need something like James' kx"

We might go to rimrock this sunday since he wants to race again and he wants mom to watch.

Blaineo

Sep 12, 2003
If you want to get some good riding in, try the Stumpjumpers race this month at Reiter. Sounds like it will be a 2 or 3 lap race. 25 miles per lap.That will for sure whip 90 % of the riders out there..Check the NMA website for details..

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Might have to change the name from the white knuckle to "Survivor: The Race" :) People might be voting themselves off the island. Sounds pretty interesting though with some wet weather it will come into its own. I kinda like the idea of an eduro length hare scramble

Last edited:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I took out my new ride to reiters for a bit on saturday (04 KX 125) they done some work up there. The main trail that connects the lower section to the upper section, starting from where you cross the road the 2nd time to go up the hill it has been bull dozed and new rock was layed down all the way up to sand hill it was WAY smoother you could really open it up. They dug out this one section and smoothed it all out, it's right after you go threw the loose sand (the very first time you hit it before ya start really going up hill) if you come across the trail you can hit it like a jump. I must of hit it like 15 times just watch out there's almost no landing area but your jumping up hill. I really apperciate the change cause it was getting really nasty threw there.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
mxp1mp, I thought that was a pretty fun trail, I actually had to take my _brand_ new truck (like a week old) down there before they fixed it when a bike broke down. Thank goodness for locking diffs.

Anyway, have you seen the "new" trails near the intersection of the road where it goes straight to index lookout, left to the top of the mountain and right to the microwave tower? There are the remnants of an enduro there, awesome trails! The one the goes down hill kinda behind the gravel pit and then crosses the road and eventually dumps out at the upper parking lot is a hoot. My buddy steve and I actually went UP the lower section, it was brutal.

Top Bottom