Anyone running a trials tire on their KDX?

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
Recently I have been looking into running a trials tire in the rear of my KDX up here in the pacific northwest. Currently I run an M12 in the front and S12 in the rear, which works well, but lots of people have been talking about running trials tires in the wet and muddy conditions we have 9 months of the year up here. People say they are the best thing since sliced bread for technical stuff.

My one concern is that trials tires hookup really well right away not allowing much wheelspin causing some two-strokes to be really boggy. Does the KDX have enough low-end to make this work? It sounds interesting since I don't ride like a MXer anyways. Maybe an autoclutch plus trials tire would be the slick deal.

Anyone try it?

Last edited:

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
I dont think you are going to have enough low down torque like a trails bike to make it effective .

Also a trails tire wont work as well as a mx tire in the mud as it will clog up to quickly with the small tread gaps .

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
From what I've been reading a trials tire works great in everything but mud. They say it works great on rocks, logs loam, etc. but clogs up in the mud. The Mitas tire by Barum (remember them?) is supposed to be the hot setup. I'd like to try one but don't have that kind of money to experiment with. :bang:

martin worgan

Dec 13, 2004
I run a Pirelli MT43 on my KDX220, and it is great for the type of riding I do – lots of rocky climbs.
It is ok in the mud, but I do run at 8psi.
I also compete in Long Distance Trials, where trials type rear tyres are normally compulsory, most people opt for the MT43.
I have also fitted a Steahly flywheel weight, this has made the bike much easier to ride in the “sections”.

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
I should correct myself, Washington's mud really is not that bad, it is the wet roots and rocks that really are challenging. Most of the trails here are silty/sandy with lots of puddles.

layoutd

May 17, 2004
i've read that the trials tires are fine for the mud. due to their flex they shed mud easier than the stiff mx tires. after watching the world trials championships and seeing these guys go straight up snotty, muddy, rocky, underwater, dry and every other condition thrown at them, i would say that the trials tires have something. they are radials and have a larger footprint than the stiff mx tires. and again, are so flexy that they shed mud easy with a little wheel spin

Old Man Time

Aug 10, 2005
Trials tires in PNW are great

I have been using trials tires on all my bikes except my KX500 cause they don't make trials tires for a 19" rim. They are a great woods tire. They also do as well in the mud as anything else. They clean out nicely. Not as good as a tire designed for mud but better than most knobbies do. They do not clean clay mud out well but then not many tires do.

I ride in the Pacific Northwest. I live in Washington state. I just put a trials tire on my KDX220 last week and went on a ride. It did great. But the second ride because of traction and no wheel spin the tire slipped on the rim and got a flat. If you run a trials tire on your KDX I recommend a second rim lock. That will prevent the tire from spinning on the rim.

The one weakness I have found and not all my trials tire friends agree is on high speed fire road or desert. The trials tires perform well up to about 50 miles per hour. Then the rear of the bike will start walking from side to side. This is not an issue in the woods. I have also found that high speed riding heats up the center of the trials tire and significantly lowers the life of the tire. Again not an issue in the woods. If you do a lot of high speed riding you will only get about 500 miles out of a tire before they start throwing the center lugs. If you restrict yourself to woods riding you will average about 800 or 900 miles per tire. I have friends who have run a trials tire for 1500 miles. The rider has a lot to do with the lifespan.

If you do not like tire spin and love traction then a trials tire is for you.

Another point to consider (maybe not with the KDX) but I have noticed that my sprockets wear more due to more pressure caused by traction with no wheel spin. I am speaking of my big bore 4 strokes. My buddy who rides very smooth and constant speeds does not seem to wear his sprockets like I do. Again the rider has a lot to do with it.

I am sold on trials tires in the woods.

OZKX250

Aug 26, 2005
I have really only heard good comments on the trials tires. Even after knobs come off they still are apparently good for alot more miles. I have also heard they get a bit of side flex when cornering, mostly at higher speeds.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I'd like to give my input on this because I've been riding trial bikes for two years now. Trial tires grip good on every surface except mud (say whatever you want, a trials tire sucks in mud). You will be able to run your kdx on a trials tire because if you give too much throttle, it will spin. These tires have good traction but don't get me wrong, it will still spin. Try a mitas, I think they are the cheapest tires around. I got mine for 80 canadian bucks. If you trail ride, you will definitely enjoy a trials tire better than an mx tire.

At what pressure you want your tire to be? On my trial, I'd only put 3 to 4 lbs. I don't know how well they handle at greater pressures, anybody can hook me up?

Old Man Time

Aug 10, 2005
I have been using trials tires for a couple years now on my dirt bikes. I have used trials tires on my XR650R and my 525exc. I now also use trials tires on my KDX220. They do not spin anything like a knobby and they tend to grab abruptly when you do spin them in comparison to a knobby. Which is why they tend to slip on the rim when you only have one rim lock thus breaking the tube valve off. I have had this happen.

I would be careful about using the same air pressure as a trials bike rider. 4 lbs pressure and your asking for trouble in the woods I mean pinch flats. I generally run 10 to 11 lbs. They still get great traction if you run 13 lbs.

You can use them after they throw knobs but be careful cause they will puncture easily once they start throwing knobs. They are a very thin tire. I rode one trials tire till it had 1200 miles on it and I noticed a split that went the entire width of the tire. When I got home I took the tire off and sure enough the split was all the way through. I was very lucky that I didn't get stuck with a flat.

If your going to use trials tires here is what I have learned about keeping them dependable.

1) use ultra thick tubes (I use the msr ultra thick). They are much more expensive but worth every cent. I understand Michelin makes a tube specifically for trials tires. I will be getting one soon to try em out.

2) use two rim-locks. It is easy to drill a hole in your rim and add another.

3) Do not run much lower than 10 lbs unless you plan on keeping very slow pace. Trials bikes do not weigh what a dirt bike weighs nor do they usually ride at the speeds we do on the trails. We hit obstacles faster and harder than a trials bike does. Trust me you will be happier with 10 to 12 lbs in the tire. It will still perform much better than a knobby.

4) I have noticed that mx racers do not like trials tires. Their riding style incorporates wheel spin and trials tires do not cooperate the way they need them too. They either have to relearn how to do turns or they get rid of the tires. I have got some very good deals on barely used trials tires because of this.

5) they work surprisingly well in the sand.

6) Dunlop has come out with a trials tire and I have one on the way as I write this. It cost $65.00 to my door from Rocky Mountain ATV/Motorcycle. I don't know how well it will hold up but at that price and the name Dunlop I am willing to take a chance. I have used the IRC trials tire and the Michelin. The Michelin was more durable for me.

Well that is my 3 bits on this.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Old Man Time said:
I have used the IRC trials tire and the Michelin. The Michelin was more durable for me.

Funny because the Michelin is softer than the IRC, Mitas, or Dunlop. They are the most expensive (180 per tire I think) and are the best for traction. In my case, however, they would not last very long compared to my Mitas.

Old Man Time

Aug 10, 2005
trial_07 said:
Funny because the Michelin is softer than the IRC, Mitas, or Dunlop. They are the most expensive (180 per tire I think) and are the best for traction. In my case, however, they would not last very long compared to my Mitas.

I pay $126.00 (American) to my door. They may have a bit stickier or softer feel to them but still outlast the IRC on the big bore bikes.

I have not tried Mita's. They have one outlet here in the states. They are more expensive than the new Dunlop. By the way, are the Mitas still DOT?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Old Man Time said:
5) they work surprisingly well in the sand.

This and the mud is what I'm worried about. How well campared to a Maxia IT for example?

Old Man Time

Aug 10, 2005
kmccune said:
This and the mud is what I'm worried about. How well campared to a Maxia IT for example?

I have found them work better than the IT but it really depends on how you ride the sand. I have friends who did not like they way they handled sand. Others who feel the same way I do. That only a dedicated purpose produced mud and sand tire could do better.

If the slimy clay mud is the main mud you ride in maybe a trails tire is not what your after. But then the IT does not do well in that kind of mud. I have run both the IT and Trials.

I feel the IT does well in snows, sand and most muds. Most muds the trials tire works better but not all muds. I love the way trials perform in sand. If you run a trials tire with about 6 to 8 psi they do well in the snow. I prefer the IT in snow. In woods single track the trials out performs the IT hands down. In wet woods, slimy rocks and logs again it is the Trials tire that easily wins out.

I would suggest you get a Dunlop because of the price so you can get a good idea if you will like trials tires. The trials tire will in most situations out last a knobby thus making the price worth it. Then when it wears out you really will not have lost any money should you decide you like knobbies better.

In the winter and early spring I take my trials tires off and run IT's because I ride high speed fire roads and desert. That kind of riding is hard on trials tires.

Update: The UPS man showed up today with my Dunlop 803 Trials tire. Here are my initial observation before I even mount it. The side wall construction is stiffer than either IRC's or Michelin's Trials tire. I think this is a good thing for us dirt bikers using trials tires. Also the knobs are bigger (not taller) than the IRC's or the Michelin's. It looks like a sturdier built tire. Of course as with any tire the real test will be in actual performance on the trails. I have talked to others who have used them and they say they perform like the IRC's or Michelin's. I will see for myself soon.

Last edited:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Heavy Sigh! Guess I might have to give this a try!

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
My ride buddy swears by them for everything. He runs nothing but trials tires. Since he's a former pro motocrosser and an expert rider, I consider his opinion to be valuable. When my tire wears out, I'm going to give it a try.

Top Bottom