moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I am just six short weeks from out annual trip to Moab. This year we plan on riding the toughest out there - this wont be a KLR type trip.

The other bike in the garage is a KTM LC4. Great dual sport bike and pretty good offroad - but it still weighs 300 pounds.

This trip will consist of 5 consecutive 150 miles days. I am concerned that this type of constant abuse may be a bit much for the KDX.

My other concern is mixing fuel on the fly at gas stops - but I have done it before - not too much to it.

I know the KDX would be ALOT more fun off road. Our pavement strectches are limited to 15 miles - so we can lumber along to connect the trails.

Anyone out there take the little green machine on a long adventure - any thoughts?

kdxluver

Feb 22, 2004
Fuel should be your only problem. I cant get over 55 miles out of mine. Other than that you should smoke the trails with ease :yeehaw:
Randy

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
Will you have gas stops with your pre-mix available ?

Bring along several small camping style bottles, filled with 2 stroke to mix with 2.5-3.5 gal, don't forget to rinse bottle with fuel to get it all.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
No - I will have to mix in the tank. I have done this in the past without too much trouble. I just pump fuel - leave some slosh room and add oil according to pump volume. I carry a large graduated syringe that I can measure with pretty good accuracy. I keep a mix matrix along since my brain is usaully fried by mix time.

After filling - I just slosh it around really well. Let it sit 5 minutes - then slosh her around good once more. Seems to be just fine.

Any reasons not to do this?

sn

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
Sounds like you're good to go,...

take some extra spark plugs (8+9), some jets, maybe an extra clutch lever/bracket, most likely you won't need any of these but nice to have for piece of mind on long trips.

Sounds like fun.....

njdrtrdr

Dec 10, 2002
I've done mulitday trips when I had a kdx. the mixing at the station is no big deal. I mix at 40:1 and that's 100ml to a gallon and the small bottles I had were marked in 50ml increments. I fill the tank, add the oil, slosh it around and ride, no need to wait.

Nick

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom