Anyone tried the new Cannondales?

erblr

Jun 1, 2000
How is it exactly that there are dozens of posts here at thumper central on 4 stroke dirt bikes, yet no comments,questions or kudos on what appears to be a great bike made right here in America? Just because they got a black eye when the first ones came out? Are we really that quick to throw Cannondale under the bus? What happened to all those guys who for years said "man if only the U.S. would make a competitive dirt bike, I'd support it!" They've fixed the past problems, added new features and even lowered the price! Their base model is even cheaper than the Honda! I think they are really trick looking too! What the @#$@ happened to everyone?:silly:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by erblr
They've fixed the past problems

Unfortunately there is no real evidence to support that claim so Cannondale is in the unenviable position of having to regain the trust of the buying public all over again. I hope they do.

pw455

Sep 5, 2000
i'm very interested in the new Cannondale and would like to hear more feedback from owners. One of my concerns is if the bikes are green-sticker legal for use in California. I went to the 2002 motorcycle show last weekend and was disappointed not to find a Cannondale booth. They should attend the shows if they're trying to market their product. Especially after all of the problems that they had with the first year models.

Pete

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
I still think some one should of brought one to DW 02,........ and let Billy ride it:confused: if it could take his punishment and not BREAK , that would of been an excellant testimonial:cool: I've seen some fast locals ride them, sure looked fast. They just seem to have quite a loud whine to them (gear drive cams?).

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Im sure most people are scared of being the latest guinea pigs when it comes to new machines. After the near disaster they had, it will take some time, and exposure for people to take that leap. Even with the "Made in the USA" stickers.
On the other hand, I dont think too many people are scared of buying the 450F. Just goes to show what years of quality-built bikes will do. People will take their chances with a Honda!

rwes

Apr 24, 2000
There was one at Dirtweek. I would have been more than happy to let just about anyone ride it too. The gear noise isn't near as loud on the bike as when one goes past you. The weird sound for me on the bike is the intake sucking from under the number plate.

KTM Pete

Sep 26, 1999
I rode one at Rausch Motocross Park on a demo ride. I ride a 2000 300 EXC
and was very impressed with the suspension and power. PLUSH
The power was everywhere I needed and I'm looking forward to the enduro model out this year. They moved the air filter from the front plate. My big complaint was my hand falling asleep- not sure if I was just holding on too tight-the 300 vibrates too.
If I can get it registered in NY I would strongly consider it. Hope to see some tests and feedback.

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
two of my friends just bought mx 400 this season, one runs great the other one has some problems, heres my take on the bikes, the design is awesome, the bike comes race ready straight out of the box, the seat height is a bit tall, i think because under it is the gas tank, fuel inj is in the future for dirt bikes they just need to get the technology to make it work "well" the bikes also felt a bit heavy to me, the fit and finish is outstanding, and the suspention is top notch"ohlin" these bikes have good and bad points, if they can get things straightend out at cannondale they will be a force to be reccond with but as long as they have a price about 1500 / 2000 $ more than other bikes that are more reliable, thats a hard sell, with the yzf and now the new crf it just may put a final nail in cannondale's coffin, its a shame too because they had some great ideas, but released to production before all the bugs were worked out ! now the bikes kinda got a bad name, which they may never recover, can anyone say bad marketing !!!

MotoGreg

Sep 23, 2001
This is all second hand info but from what I heard about a year ago...
The engines just don't last very long at all. Cannondale hired an independent engine expert who works with a lot of NASCAR and teams and manufacturers to help them find out what was going wrong. His main thing was that Cannondale used a lot of shafts in the engine that were made of aluminum instead of hardened steel in an effort to save weight. You can't have bearings, gears, etc., spinning on aluminum shafts and expect them to last. He examined a lot of motors and could accurately identify how many hours of use were on them due to the wear he found. Anyway, like I said, that is all second hand info so you can take it with a grain of salt.

I was really interested in getting a Cannondale by reading all the pre-release hype about it, but I rode one and I just didn't like it at all so I got the CRF and I love it. I still hope Cannondale succeeds and maybe I'll own one someday down the road. I think their biggest problem was releasing the bike too soon before it was fully developed and tested. Look how long it took Honda to respond to the YZF... they took the time to get it fully tested and it shows.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I saw the C dale at my local dealer, It dose look sharp, fit and finish is very nice as stated before. I threw my leg over it and it did not feel to tall, I am 6,1 . It felt lighter than my WR 400, and it was much more narrow, very narrow IMO, like a 125cc narrow. Maybe it was just the nice gray, silver color and all :) . I think the dealer should let some people take em out and rip, they did with the quads and he said they sold all they had that day! Trying to get to test ride a dirt bike is like asking the dealer to borrow there liver for few hours! Well maybe Ill get lucky and they wont sell and thy will have a real cheap left over on an undiscovered great bike, people will pick them up for a song and find out how great they are and they will start selling like moutain bikes :) .

ScottZX7RR

Sep 11, 1999
There was one at VSTA Rider@Loretta Lynn's. I talked to the owner and he was more than welcome to let ya ride it but I didn't take him up on the offer. The bike sounded nice and looked great. It reminded me of my YZF in the woods. I was working as Trailhead and watched him pass several bikes and ATVs in the woods.

While I was talking to him I was impressed with his interaction with C-Dale. He stated that his was a 2000 that had the recalls(EFI mapping). The dealership sent it back to the factory and they updated the EFI, replaced the forks because of upgrades were being put on the 2001/2002 bikes. All new plastic for the bike. Granted that might be a isolated case but that is the only one that I have heard, New programming, forks and plastics lends me to believe that they are working hard to regain the confidence that we all want. I would buy one in a heartbeat given the chance.

Top Bottom