Anyone try those "wheeless" bike carriers?

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I noticed in the back of Dirt Bike magazine the Moto X Caddy, a motorcycle carrier similar to a bicycle rack. See http://www.bdiracks.com to see what I'm talking about.

Has anyone tried these? What are the PROS and CONS? I'll be selling my p/up soon and need to find an alternate solution - don't have room for trailer.

Last edited:

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
HMS,I would take a look at the Moto JackRack at www.motojackrack.com This one is different from the channel type hitch haulers,it has clamps that go into the footpegs to hold the bike secure.I've used my friends MJR on my Toyota Tacoma and all I did was run a tiedown from the handlebar to the bumper to stop any sway,plus with the MJR you don't have to worry about cranking down on the forks or using a ramp.The only downside to the MJR is it's price,I think it's $350.P.S.You will need a class III hitch for any of these hitch haulers.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
A year or two ago there was a post in the product review forum from a guy who bought a Moto-X-Caddy. To make a long story short, the weld failed and tumbled his bike down the highway. BDI at the time was offering a “lifetime guarantee” but when he tried to bring it to their attention, they not only said “not our fault” ( Fair enough, I guess), but the damning part was that the person he was speaking to would not give him his name, nor that of the owner of the business. In fact they would not admit to a business address or even give out the geographical location. I’ve always remembered that, and have since noticed that there is never any information about the company except an 800 number in any of their ads.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I bought a use Moto X Caddy early last summer. Alum channel bolted to the steel 2" tubing that goes into the receiver. Works great for me. I've used it for both my 400EXC and 2 mountain bikes. No problems or modifications at all.

If I was buying new, I'd pop for the Jack Rack as all I've read says it's the most stable of the lot. Heavier and more expensive, though.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Another MJR vote. I got mine a few years ago when they just switched to the updated design and have never had a worry about my bike falling off. I made a bar with some trailer lights that plugs into the trailer plug for those long excursions where I'm concerned about people paying attention to my tail lights.

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
Go with the MJR.
I've been using one for the past year and it's an outstanding product. Not pretty, but very strong and stable. Only complaint is that the assemby instructions are poor. I carry both an XR4 and a KTM 400.

Top Bottom