Jan 4, 2006
just wondering if anyone ever wears a cup or has ever tried to when riding? i suffered some ...shall we say.."blunt force trauma" last year .after a few days in the hospital it definately got me thinking. sounds like a cup would be pretty uncomfortable but im wearing one this season. just wondering if anyone has tried riding with one before or if anyone makes one thats tolerable to wear when riding. thanks

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
lol, I don't but I've thought about it. A couple of months ago I was braking in some new boots and having difficulty feeling the bottom of my feet. I landed a jump with my right foot on the brake pedal and instead it threw me straight into the tank. My eye's water up just thinking about how that felt!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
No, they were uncomfortable when I had to wear them playing football. I don't think I could ride with one.
you wore one playing football? Baseball (standaroundball) wasn't bad because you just stood around, but too much movin' around in football for the sucker to be comfortable.

I will admit, though, I took a few shots to the grapes when I played, and I don't lament the steel tanks going by the wayside on dirt bikes either. I don't think I had a bike with a steel tank that was not "christened" with a couple special dents.

CamDayKX125(4)

Uhhh...
Jan 20, 2006
ive never really tried wearing one while riding. ive worn one at taekwondo, but you need it for that. if you do end up wearing one, its going to be really uncomfortable.

Jan 4, 2006
you guys are pretty creative!! love the duct tape bubble wrap set up! but im gonna try wearing one..it cant be anymore uncomfortable than what i went through last year. i actually fractured one ! yes ...FRACTURED! i damn near passed out when the dr explained to me what happened to one of my boys. everyone has takin a shot in the jewels from time to time but ya never expect to have that severe of an injury.i wound up losing one testicle from that mishap :yikes: . so keep that in mind when your out there roostin...anything can and does happen sometimes. well im off to UPS to get those packaging supplies :laugh:

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
66 in the stix said:
im gonna try wearing one..it cant be anymore uncomfortable than what i went through last year. .i wound up losing one testicle from that mishap :yikes: .

Well then, you only need halfacup. :laugh:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I was a catcher when I played base ball, and a center for football. I never could make myself wear one of those contraptions.

kellyk7

Feb 1, 2006
OK call me a weiner but I ride full gear most of time, I find that it hurts way too much to slip off the edge. ( take a hint, you don't want a used bike from me, They have never been raced but most have been wrecked) ayway, if ya hit the baseball section of the sporting goods store there are some pretty comfortable shorts, I beleive called slider shorts with a pouch to hold the cup, and then find one that is the right size, and your good :-) youll get used to it fast enough,

Jan 4, 2006
thanks KELLY..i'll check into that. just wondering how ya go about trying these on to get the right "fit". of course i'll need the x- large version :laugh: . probably wouldnt go over to well if the clerk looked over and saw me sliding all the different sizes into my drawers lol thanks for the info

IceHawk

Dec 9, 2014
I am a newcomer to this sport, but I can tell you: Wear a cup! They are inexpensive (approx $10). The newer design "banana cup' is much more comfortable and non-restrictive and also protects better than the old designs. I have played Ice Hockey and Lacrosse, where we wear one all of the time.
I had a slight collision with the tank the other day(or my testicles did), and I didn't have one on. I wish I did - not a major injury, but uncomfortable and embarrassing.
A guy I know does wear one while riding (every time) because he lost one of his testicles while riding.
Once you get used to wearing a cup, you don't even notice it, and will feel unprotected without one.
Properly fit, these will save you some pain and maybe a trip to the emergency room.

IceHawk

Dec 9, 2014
Be careful if you use the Sliding Shorts/Compression Shorts with the pouch to hold the cup. I tried this and found that the cup was often in the wrong place. Either the cup was too high - which means that your balls are hanging right at the bottom edge - really painful if you get hit; Or the cup was too low, which is really awkward and rubs your legs and makes you not want to wear a cup at all.
I use a supporter (jockstrap)with cup, over a pair of compression shorts. The cup is always in the right place and is comfortable. This is the way I wear a cup for Hockey and I'm always well protected.
Once I am dressed in my motocross gear, you can't even tell I'm wearing a cup at all. But now I wouldn't ride without one.
I guess that it is up to each rider to see which supporter/cup/compression shorts combination is the most comfortable.

Top Bottom