Anyone with opinions on CanAms?

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I got in touch with a guy who has a 400. I assume a mx6, but don't know for sure yet. Anyone have opinions on these bikes or know what the power is like. Also I might bbe interested in a 250, (mx5). Gonna do a little "post vintage" action, thought these might make a decent ride and be competitive maybe!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
A friend gave me a 250 CanAm once. I think it was a '79 MX model. It did not run but I found that it only had a small electrical problem. I fixed it and it started right up! I did not have space to keep it at the time so I gave it back.

:(

I was pretty impressed with the power from such an old (and tired) bike.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
During one of my in-dirtbiking span-years I had a '80 250 Qualifier. Rotary valve engine. Six-speed trans. Nice complementary combo. It did not matter much which gear was selected, it would pull. And it was quiet to. Excellent fuel range.

'Zoke forks were poor, as were brakes, but quality of build was definitely euro (high), and so was handling (slow). I only remember there being a head gasket; the rational was the rest of the engine was so well machined with so few flaws it never needed gaskets, and it did not leak anything.

The rims did not have today's-type of locks but these sharp dimples on the bead side; strange but effective.

What got me hooked was the quality of power delivery. I rode a 400 before buying and that thing would lift up the front wheel at wheel at will in such a controllable fashion, only duplicated by a Gas Gas I rode of late.

Top Bottom