Anything in So. Cal this weekend?

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Cajon Pass is a looooong way

Cajon Pass is quite a drive for us in San Diego. For those of us in North County, have you guys considered Barona Oaks or Amago?

Tony (Poway area)

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Barona Oaks or Amago? Where is that Tony? I was talking to my neighbor last night and Cajon pass should be about a 2 hour drive for me.

I got SA, spousal approval, to ride Saturday morning. I'd really like to ride and hopefully pretty early. Like maybe by 8am? Any takers? Khris mentioned Lake Morena, that sounds great. Tony mentioned Barona Oaks or Amago. I'm ready to go so let me know.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Just a side note for you guys in SD County, if you go to Temecula and head East on 79, there is a great riding area right by Vail Lake on the right side of the road. The trails run next to the road for miles and there is all kinds of riding. Thomas Guide map page 409 in Riverside County. I don't think it's a bust there, seen lots of riders but no law. Just a suggestion to save on a long trip. Cya

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by LongTime

Doh!! I'm out.:o

What do you mean? Aren't you the father? Isn't it your day?;)

Well then, how about Saturday?

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Saturday's a bust for me. Gotta do some work to the Explorer to get it back in towing condition so that I can get my bike to whereever I end up on Sunday. I also need to yank the swingarm off my bike to grease all the linkage and put on my new TM Designworks chain slider so the grooves in my swingarm don't get any deeper. Barona Oaks and Amago are tracks. Last time I tried going to Barona they wouldn't let me ride cause of my 4 stroke. I guess they have or had rules against noise emmision and my stock YZ400 exhaust is too loud for them. How is Amago, I've never been there but have heard it's usually not too crowded? My parents said I could skip out on breakfast Sunday morning but gave me a little grief about it so I'm thinking it'll be better to meet them and postppone my riding till afterwards. Gotta keep up the family relations. Sorry Fred if this means it's too late for you.
A454ELK,
I've heard there is tons of riding area in Temecula and Elsinore other then the track but don't know where. If you could maybe enlighten us as to some more spots that aren't to looked down upon by the law that would be cool.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
OK, here's the secret poop! The area by Vail Lake is great, never seen a bust there. It's about 20 or so minutes East of Temecula on 79. You'll find a nice area to park of the right side of the road, just look for the open area, you'll see it. The other place in Elsinore is cool, you can ride all the way to Canyon Lakes. Get off at Central from the 15 and look to the right after about a mile or so. Work your way back to there and you'll find a river bed. That whole area is great, a little rocky at times. Never had a bust there. Stay South of Central and East of the 15 and you are good to go. Follow the trails East and you'll find Canyon Lakes. !!!!

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Awesome!!! Maybe I'll check out both places this Sunday. I live in Ramona so I can just head up to Dudleys and jump on that end of 79. Shouldn't be too far from there. I could make one big loop.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Good luck. When you're ready for another area in Phelon, let me know. It's just off the 395 and the I-15 past the Cajon Pass. If you like exploring, the elsinore ride is better. You can go on forever as long as you head East and stay south of 79. You'll see. We'll hook up sometime and get a group together and shoot out to Phelon!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Oh yeah, I forgot. It's not the best area for 2 strokers but I'm going on Monday morning to the Ortega Highway. At the top of the crest near the Orange county line, there is a road called Kilsner Trail. If you take that until it ends, it dumps you into a camping and OHV park riding area. Lots of great stuff to ride on and around. They even have a junior track tolet the little scramblers ride on. I'll be there with my little girl on her new xr100 around 8ish or so. Anyone is welcome if you can blow off work for that morning. I'm also going to Elsinore track on Tuesday morning. Look for the white 66 el camino and stop by and say hey!

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
I'm not too familiar with the Phelon area. I'm hoping to do a trip on Friday the 13th in July with some guys from the Thumper Talk forums. I need to get a desert tank before then though and I'm kinda tight for money with some unexpected vehicle repair bill and other stuff. They meet at some McDonalds up north of Glen Helen and ride up into the mtns or something. I'm not sure. It's a great group to ride with though so I'm really hoping to make it. Do you ride the tracks often or are you strictly trails? During the season I head out to Ocotillo Wells a ton. I love the area and we occasionally do a run out to superstition. I go to Glamis about 3 times a year. Usually Thanksgiving, New Years, and Pres. Day. Pres. Day is the only time I take my bike though cause the other 2 weekends are stupidly crowded and I'd rather get hit by a drunk in my Explorer or Jeep then on my bike.

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Unfortunately I've got the typical Mon-Fri 8-5 job and I'm too new to be taking days off for riding but by July 13th I should be able to pull that one. I don't want to make a habit though cause then it'll probably turn into a drug for me and I'll get addicted or something. Ditching work to ride is probably a good thing only in moderation for my position.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Later fellow riders, going to Chapparel for some goodies!

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Barona Oaks and Amago

Originally posted by sirhk100
Barona Oaks and Amago are tracks. Last time I tried going to Barona they wouldn't let me ride cause of my 4 stroke. I guess they have or had rules against noise emmision and my stock YZ400 exhaust is too loud for them. How is Amago, I've never been there but have heard it's usually not too crowded?

You can now ride the four strokes at Barona.... check 'em out at:

www.baronaoaks.com

It's just a few miles south of the town of Ramona, and yes, it's a motocross track. The four stroke issue was more or less a political one that appears to have been resolved for now.

Amago is another track on the La Jolla Indian Reservation, about 20 miles east of I-15 on highway 76. It has never been crowded, per se, but I've seen it steadily getting busier and busier.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
If anybody would like to meet up sat or early sunday at 15 and 138 call me at 909-322-9614.

Its required to have a green sticker and spark arrestor

Jeff

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
How was everyone's rides this weekend? I went to Elsinore early Saturday morning with my neighbors. Good times but it was HOT!!! I've become a little too used to the coastal living.

Let's keep communicating so that we can all get together sometime. I'm a little new to the riding here in So. Cal and anxious to ride.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by fred2
How was everyone's rides this weekend

I never did find anybody ride with but spotted a good deal a new XR100 for my son. Hope to get it by the end of the week.:)

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
I'm taking off July 2 - 6 and would like to go riding one of those days. Any takers? Don't know when where or what time I'll be able to go so let's start making some plans. I know this is a little early but I have the bug.

RMjeff,
good luck with the XR.

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
I went to Elsinore on Sunday. It was hot but barable. Good riding until I got a flat tire and it was just too hot to repair track side so I went home, cleaned up and headed to the beach. I wanted to go check out the trails described above but all my friends were busy and couldn't get out so I figured it wouldn't be wise to go check out a new scene alone. Definately keep the thread going or updated on weekend events!!;)

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
My son comes into town next Sunday for the summer. After that we will be spending our weekends at El Mirage. It will be hot but excellent place for the kids to ride.

If you wanna stop by feel free.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Jeff -- I'll definitely hook up out at El Mirage with my boy. Fred -- maybe a Corona run? I'll have company for several weeks, so riding time will be limited, but Corona's close enough for a half-day ride to fit in. PM me.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Didn't go, everyone bailed.

If you guys want to do a late afternoon Corona ride during the week, let me know.

Last edited:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Hey, Old Man!

Get off your rocker :p & empty your (DRN) mailbox. It's full - not accepting any new messages...

(BTW, we plan on doing Big Bear; won't know 4 sure until the day B4 or so.)

Top Bottom