JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Looking for a ride this weekend. Havent been on the bike in awhile so I will be pretty slow.

Phelan (legal side)
El Mirage
Mountains
???????
???????
Saturday or Sunday

Lets go

desertrat

Feb 4, 2002
Where's Fontana? Well anyways, I think the weekend everyone is going is president's... I might check out superstition, but usually go to Ocotillo Wells. And where's phelan or the el mirage mtn?

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by desertrat
Where's Fontana? Well anyways, I think the weekend everyone is going is president's... I might check out superstition, but usually go to Ocotillo Wells. And where's phelan or the el mirage mtn?

Fontana:::: 15 freeway a few miles north of the 10

Phelan::::: Top of the Cajon Pass on the west side

El Mirage::::: North of Victorville

Mountains:::: Big Bear, Arrowhead.... all north of San Berdoooooo

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Well, I'm slumbering out of hibernation and planning a ride with several of the fellas you met at Crab Flats last summer. Looks like Cougar Butte 10:00 am this Saturday. I'll be slow too.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'm up for a ride ... the forest trails at Gorman are open. That could be fun this time of year. :p

However, Cougar Buttes is a great place to ride. Jeff - TWMC has at least 2 enduros out there each year. I did one in the summer with Thumbs and PlaceLast and it was about 105 degrees !!!!! Deadly but felt great when you finished. Some great rock riding at Cougar Buttes.

I think PlaceLast wants to ride this weekend also. Calling .... MXBundy, Desert_Racer, Elk, Thumbs, LongTime, Gyrros, 'Ol 89, Holeshot, "WR" Tissue, KTMBoy, DirtJunkie, EM Rider, anyone else ?

I'm game for anything.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I just came in here to see what I'll be missing this weekend. Seems I'll be doing emergency surgery to my master bath all weekend, as the toilet sprung a leak, and ruined the linoleum.
I'll be scraping the old floor off and replacing it, along with the P.O.S. toilet and plumbing that caused the damage.:uh: (Finally got to put this smiley to good use!):uh: :ugg:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Bummer. You can't make it out even for one day ? You're gonna have to leave the house to go to the bathroom at some point anyway. There are some wonderful shrubberies for this purpose at Cougar Buttes. :)

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I wish I could, but the bike needs some TLC before it goes out again, and I'm afraid I won't have time for both. Have fun chaps!:silly:

Gyrros

Mar 8, 2000
Eel, I think I could do a Sunday ride, but where are you guys going to ride? Gorman? Also where is Cougar Buttes never been or heard of it?

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
What is El Mirage like? My dad and I were thinking of headed out there or to Stoddard this weekend. For that matter, what’s Stoddard like? I’ve never been to either, but I think he used to go to El Mirage way back in the day. Thanks.
-Andrew

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by YZandrew
What is El Mirage like

El Mirage is mixed bag. It has open desert, a wide open and flat dry lake bed. (good for drag racing bikes) and does have some hills with loose rock for a challenge. In the hills is a small deep sand dune type area. Its not much for single track. its a great place to take newbee's as they can putt on the lake bed and the more advanced guys can still have some fun.

Re: riding this weekend. Can't make it my back decided I've had enough for a week or so. The new WR should be in next week, so the 16th/ 17 th I'll be breaking her in. :) :) :)

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Sunday's fine. U guys decide where.

Dust is the only drawback for the dez; with the snowpack the forest trails would be better, from that stand point.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Jeff ... what do u think ?

Personally Gorman would be better for me because I have 2 papers due for class next week. Gorman is just alot closer closer ... El Mirage will kill an entire day for me.

Your call Jeff.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
That's funny, I head that you have no class at all.;)

I'll be at Saddleback MX Park on Sunday. If you decide to ride on Saturady I'm in no matter where you guys decide on.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Since I seem to spend more time on the ground instead of the bike I think I will pass on Gorman. I absolutely positively can not stand riding in the snow. Something about it draws me into the ground.

Im staying closer to home this time.

Have fun up there.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Ummmm ... this is getting me all confused. What's the consensus here ?

I just received another e-mail from a group of guys doing Rowher / Drinkwater on Saturday also. Anyone interested in that as well as a Sunday ride ? Guess my studying is goin' out the window here but what the hey ... when you've got no class you have fewer restrictions in life ... or do you have more ?

Fellas - perhaps a vote ? I want to ride with you guys so I'll go where you go on Sunday. So what's it gonna be ? You Gorman guys want to meet at El Mirage instead ?

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Eel- I am going to pass on Gorman. Hate the snow ....

I well either hook up with Mtn. Goat or take my neighbor out to El Mirage. He wants to learn how to ride.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
We can't do Saturday. Since Jeff will be busy helping his neighbor, let's do Gorman, or better yet, the Los Padres forest trails. We can do Tejon, then loop back on What-A-Trail, which takes us to the top of Frazier, then down East Frazier Mine Trail. That will give Eric enough time to get a loop in for the morning, then get some class (?!) in the afternoon; the rest can do a second loop afterwards.

So far there's Eel (WR125), Gyros (KX250), PL & Jr.(RMXes); Greg (CR250) & Brian (KDX/KX hybrid) (both guys I know).

I recommend meeting at Edison Campground, the first when entering in from the main entrance on the left as you come down to the valley floor, 9am Sunday morning.

Eric: do warm up your bike at least twice beforehand, two separtate & distinct cycles minimum. It should be started then allowed to warm up to normal running temperature (radiator warm to the touch), then be shut off and allowed to go back to a complete cold condition. This needs to be done a few times before normal riding loads as we will be doing on this loop.

I've done this, 1st at a gas station when stopping to get fuel, then again when 1st arriving at camp - it takes a while to gear up, thereby allowing it adequate time to cool down.

On the trail, vary the throttle settings, but resist the urge to ride normally; place heavy load (sand, uphills) or high RPM on the engine; a moderate pace is fine, and we will stop every so often to let it cool down.

PM me if more info is needed. Guys: any other advice?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Guy's. Doesn't look good for me this weekend. The ol' back is not much better yet. Have not ridden in about a month now.:(

mtngoat. Good morning, glad you finally woke up. Did you ever bring that other XR down the mountain?

Scar. When you get the piglet let me know. There are a few free mod's that you can do to it to make it run MUCH better.

Ol'89r

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Top O' the morning Terry. I tore down the "buddy bike" to get those valve seals replaced and just buttoned it up last weekend. It's still up the hill. Haven't saddled up for a long time. I volunteered to help on a new 440 acre kid's camp in Big Bear (next valley south of Dale's ranch) and just haven't had the time, but it's a good cause. Hope to see you guys soon.

Scar, what happened to the KLX? I was considering swapping out the extra XR4 for something different. Even looked at a street legal 300EXC:eek:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Terry,

Thanks for the help offer, I've been on this site and thumper talk investigating all the hop ups. But I'd love some help. I'll call to you next week when it gets here.

Mtngoat, Re: the KLX . I really liked the bike & still do. It ran great handled great. I just always get ichy for something new and when the year end bonuses were handed out it was either spend it on a new bike or carpet and tile for the misses. Which would you pick.:confused:

I'm going to sell the KLX, it curently needs a top end(rings are worn), Its at Mission Kawi right now getting it done, if you interested let me know.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001

Theres snow in them there hills. Last time I rode Gorman after a snow storm I froze my nads off. Of course, the weather this weekend is suppose to be real good. KTMBoy you havent got the wife trained yet (dont tell the wife I said that). You need to compromise the honey do's with the riding. KTM since no one wants to ride with Jeff (joking) and I dont feel like driving to Gorman along with my own school work, you wanna ride up at Barstow, Mirage or Stoddard. Im sure if ya tell the wife that Jeff would be all alone, Im sure she would understand. Like a women, Im sure that orange 3 smoke is calling your name and dying to be riden.

Top Bottom