joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Every year the southern members of Dirtrider.net host a "Southern Spodefest". This is a fun filled weekend of family oriented track and trail riding and camping. It will be in Georgia this year I believe for the first time in a long while. There will be the option each day of Aonia's track for $15, trail for $10, or both.

They also have a flat track I think, plus the SX track might be available during the evening too. Camping is free, although if you want to make an electrical hookup to your RV, it will be $10.

The track is in excellent shape. It was great in November, and per recent pictures and reports, is even better now. Lots of loam tilled in, extensive grooming, regular watering. It is also a very safe track, with forgiving landings if you come up short.

Plus, for the charity ride this Sunday, the sponsor is doing lots of work on the trails, including extensive one way signage which they might possibly keep up for us. I think they have 13+ miles of nice, do-able family oriented trails that the kids and wives can enjoy on the little bikes and quads, 150's, etc.

Mother's day is the 9th, but this would actually be a nice family oriented way to spend mother's day. I know some of you have a better half who enjoys camping and dirt biking. Plus, you could always camp Friday night, enjoy a campfire and camaraderie with lots of GOR, DRN and Thumpertalk folks, ride all day Saturday, and be home Sunday if your better half insists.

There will be a surprise guest Saturday. A hint- he trained Jeff Stanton while Jeff was at his prime in the late 80's and early 90's, he has worked extensively with Gary and David Bailey in the mid to late 80's, and he is currently training a professional SX racer who frequently makes the main. I expect he will give a free mini-seminar on riding/racing safety and countermeasures, among other things, Saturday evening. More details once I firm that up.

If you are interested, please post. Thanks. Any questions, feel free to post, pm me, or call me 706 206 0073.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Track was great yesterday- here's the same report I put up elsewhere: "The track was great. I would not have believed a track in Georgia could be this loamy, well groomed and dust free! It was the best I have ever seen any track, anywhere.

They added some new jumps, such as the new double after the front straight tables and drop off. Smooth face, 60', 4th gear pinned. The other jumps were very good too, especially the single to table on the back straight. Some serious flight time potential there.

The turns quickly developed some nice rut berms so you could rail through. There were flaggers at almost every jump, all day long, so safety was emphasized. By the way, per Sam, the event promoter, they are in desperate need of more volunteers next year. Sam and his crew worked their tail off all day long, to ensure it was fun for all. They have been cutting trails for weeks.

I Rode the 13 mile loop and really enjoyed the peace and solitude and shade after the action of the mx track. I even got to ride another 1/2 loop at the end of the day as they were taking down arrows. The trails were in pretty thick woods, but not too tight. I ran most of it in 2nd, with a few opportunities in the open field sections to get to 5th gear WOT. It was apparent that a LOT of hard work went into event prep. I can't imagine having to cut in a brand new continuous loop just for a 1 day event! Although I may run it again in 2 weeks at spodefest...

I finally got to meet the owner, Perry, in person, after several phone calls. He was just as accomodating and enthusiastic about the event as Sam. Really a great crew."

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Oh, also- the primitive camping is on the right, across the road from the pee wee track, in the tall trees.

Up another 100' on the right is the bike wash, aka Outdooor Shower. Lemming is not allowed to contribute to this aspect of the conversation. ;)

The track has a concession stand, not sure about all the details, will call Perry and ask.

Ivan, you remind me of the bad guy in the Spy Kids movie, Game Over, played by Sly Stallone (multiple personality disorder). LOL You can see my movie viewing choices are influenced by the kids. :)

ps- our mystery guest is not only a trainer of pro riders, but is also a certified hypnotist. I expect to see Lemming and Ivan and maybe even Mike doing unusual things in public all weekend. :)

OK, more unusual than they normally are...

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
joereitman said:
ps- our mystery guest is not only a trainer of pro riders, but is also a certified hypnotist. I expect to see Lemming and Ivan and maybe even Mike doing unusual things in public all weekend. :)

I already bark like a dog and Gomer purrs like a kitten... when you pet him right ;)

Ivan

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Are there restaurants nearby? Does he allow fires in the campground?
So the showers are actually a waterhose at the bike wash....or are they "real" showers with hot water? How's the SX track?

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Restaurants are 5-10 min NW up 78 in Washington. http://www.washingtonwilkes.com/site/page6212.html

Fires are allowed. Be careful if its windy.

Yes, they have real showers too, for those of us who are a little more civilized...

I have not ridden the SX track, but it looks challenging. I need to call Perry and confirm whether that will be open. Frankly, it looks hard packed, and possibly dusty if not watered. I will check...

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
they have not only the showers up by the Pee Wee track near the camping, but also nicer showers at a more remote camping location a little further away from the tracks. May be worth considering. Mike, will you scout out that option after your race this weekend? On your way out, after you cross the dam, turn right, it is a little ways back I believe.

Perry said we can ride the SX track, but wants to limit it to experienced racers and top riders only. Apparently it is a "little" challenging... If enough decent riders are interested, he will even turn on the lights and let folks run it in the evenings. I think I will just watch, myself.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
WooHoo!!! We raced at Aonia last weekend and the track is now GREAT!!! They have covered the entire track in wood chipos and sawdust and have worked it in.

Even better is that Ricky will be coming with us to ride on Saturday! This will be his 2nd or 3rd time on a bike since DW03.

HoleshotHank

Jan 27, 2003
Roll'in In Friday Nite

Count Bryan and me in for Friday. We should arrive around 7:00. Keep the grill lit. We'll bring something. We're ready to ride. See ya soon.

Honda Hank -- Mambo #5

Top Bottom