firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by bsmith
I think were making huge progress here. You have passed the 1st stage of Denial and jumped straight to stage 4, Acceptance :p
In our next session we can discuss how you skipped the depression, anger, and bargaining stages :laugh:

Grrrrr . . . :debil:

MotoGyro

Sep 7, 2003
AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT NOTICES THAT THE ENGINE DOES NOT HAVE REMOVABLE CYLINDERS??? TAKE A CLOSER LOOK THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST PORTS COME OUT UNDER THE RED VALVE COVER, WHICH MEANS THAT THE ENGINE MUST HAVE REMOVABLE LINERS!!!!!

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I doubt the liners are removable. My guess is that the cylinder is plated aluminum and part of the upper crankcase half. Repair of such a cylinder would require replating or a sleeve.

I like designs that have the cylinders as part of the crankcase, your car engine for instance. With the only disadvantages being maintenance and big bore kit related. However the advantages include weight, rigidity, size, cost and reliability.

Chris

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
"Vico himself had been in Spain after the race in Loket for meetings regarding a backer for 2004. The friendly KTM man is believed to be heading out of the orange camp and wants a 450 for next year. Allegedly he will be testing the new Aprilia four-stroke this week and there could be a distinct possibility he will be wearing black for MX1 ’04. He speaks good Italian and is a big fan of the country and culture, so a move across would be relatively trouble-free, whether he is the man to develop and hone a brand new motorcycle is another matter". It's gotta be the v-twin, don't think they have anything else on the drawing board. Check out their 125 Supermotard

Cheers

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Given Aprilla's recent financial situation I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for bikes based on this engine ever seeing the light of day. :(

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
Best info on the bike here http://www.racingaprilia.com/eng/news.phtml?id=840&c=8

More links on the right side of page and in archives. They have been very conservative in the testing phase and holding back while they evaluate, it has been doing really well on the Motard circuit and is supposed to be very quiet, very fast.

Ducati has made an offer for majority ownership, hopefully R&D will continue on the 450 cuz I wants one in '06 if it makes it to production.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
BunduBasher said:
Rich, you may just fall in love with the SM450 ;) :ride:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's incredibly cool, I just don't believe that it's going to end up in a saleable product. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see a market for a high tech 450( especially a twin) that is likely to cost more than $10K .

It was my understanding that Ducati was interested in purchasing Moto Guzzi which is owned by Aprillia. The problem is Aprillia has $110 million dollars sunk into MG and it's worth much less than half that by Ducati's math.

Bombardier is probably the company most likely to come in and rescue Aprillia. I sure hope someone does. Any company that builds a two-stroke twin road racer and sells it to the public cheap is OK in my book.
:cool:

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah its really strange about Aprillia theyve got like the best scooters and the meanest V twin sportbikes (in my opinion) but they never really get the recognition they deserve .Sport Rider mag really gives them good reviews on the Mille and MilleRs and Tuonos and stuff but most people dont even know they market a dual sport(Pegaso) or know anything about the road race bikes . I worked for a dealer and went for training in Georgia but then the dealership didnt really market the product sucessfully and sales never really materialized . I liked the Mille better than the RC51 thats for sure.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Rich, that Aprilla is the best idea I have yet to see. I would be very interested in getting one. There are a number of folks out there that are just plain HP hungry. They ride the big bore 2 strokes. There are even some folks (like me) that think the big bore 2 strokes are down on power. One big issue with the Aprilla is the promise of smooth low end performance.

If you think about it, 70HP is just a tick more than a good CR5 makes.

Chris

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
From roadracingworld.com

8/2/2004
Aprilia Board Of Directors Rejects Ducati's Buyout Offer

From a press release issued by Ducati Motor Holding:

THE DUCATI MOTOR HOLDING OFFER FOR THE ACQUISITION OF THE MAJORITY STAKE OF THE APRILIA GROUP REMAINS UNCHANGED

Bologna – Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A (NYSE: DMH, Borsa Italiana S.p.A: DMH) takes note of the decision of the Aprilia Board of Directors, taken on July 31 2004, not to extend the exclusivity and not to agree to the proposal, presented by Ducati on July 30 2004 in accordance with the terms of the sale process – aimed at guaranteeing the continued operations of the Aprilia company for the period necessary to complete the acquisition of the group.

Ducati will not modify its offer, which therefore remains valid. It reserves the right to protect its interests in the appropriate ways.

“We are certain that we have respected, in the form and the substance, the process and the procedures requested by the Aprilia advisors" – commented Federico Minoli, President and CEO of Ducati Motor Holding. "We are strongly convinced that our offer reflects the true value of the Aprilia Group and that it offers guarantees for all stakeholders involved in the transaction. For this reason we do not intend to modify our offer and we will leave the possibility of further evaluation up to the advisors."

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
The new bike is in this month’s dirtrider. They will most likely do the cylinder the same way Husaberg's does theirs?

Top Bottom