May 5, 2007
Before i say anything i did do a search.i could not find anything that matched my problem.Well when im riding my bike(Bone stock 2002 cr 80)it runs fine but the band is reluctant to kick in especially under load such as a small incline.The bike must be revved a pretty good deal to get the band in and then it hits VERY hard and fast or i guess the word im looking for is abruptly.It starts fine.Not alot of hours on it and ive had it for 3 weeks to a month.Is this just the engine characteristics of the bike?

Thanx in advance.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I don't know, why don't you tell us? I can't see your reeds from here. They're under the air boot that connects the carb to the cylinder/crankcase. It's very easy to check. It sounds like your power valve is stuck open, though. There are inspection/service covers on the side of the cylinder. Remove one of those and look to see if it's open or not. Check that the valve is operating properly. A service manual would be a wise investment.

May 5, 2007
I dont think it does either.But I cant check my reeds.I know how its easy but my dads not gonna let me tear into my bikes motor like that.He does let me do matinence like air filter and tightning chains but thats it.I just need to know if theese are possible symptoms.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Those small 2 strokes have no bottom at all and hit very hard.

To check the reeds on that bike, you only need remove the carb and 4 bolts. If you can't handle that, you probably shouldn't be doing something like chain adjustments. Perhaps you should have him watch you do it..

May 5, 2007
read what i said above,My dad will not let me.He beilieves that everything on any bike is like rocket science.I know how to do it its just the fact that my dad doesnt trust my work on any thing but lawnmowers.I think it may just be the crappy stock reeds and completly stock motor that are causing this reluctancy to kick in.I probly need to let it breath with a K&N airfilter and v-fore or boysen reeds.But thanx

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
derek the 2 stroke said:
read what i said above,My dad will not let me.He beilieves that everything on any bike is like rocket science.I know how to do it its just the fact that my dad doesnt trust my work on any thing but lawnmowers.I think it may just be the crappy stock reeds and completly stock motor that are causing this reluctancy to kick in.I probly need to let it breath with a K&N airfilter and v-fore or boysen reeds.But thanx

Your turn.. Read what I said. Small 2 Strokes don't have a bottom end. You need to get it on the pipe and keep it there.

May 5, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
Your turn.. Read what I said. Small 2 Strokes don't have a bottom end. You need to get it on the pipe and keep it there.
It has decent bottom end.The problem is that the bike doesnt want to get on the pipe.But do you dont think that v-force and a good air filter would be worth it?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
A clean air filter and a properly functioning set of reeds would be worth it. There is nothing inherently wrong with the stock stuff and there is no reason to replace it if it's not worn out. If the bike wont get on the pipe, that's probably another issue. 2-strokes do need to be cleared out when they're first started or after cruising for a long period of time. Find a straightaway and give the bike a run through the gears. If it doesn't clear out and get on the pipe by the time you run out of gears, you've got carburetion or spark plug issues.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
derek the 2 stroke said:
I think it may just be the crappy stock reeds and completly stock motor that are causing this reluctancy to kick in.I probly need to let it breath with a K&N airfilter and v-fore or boysen reeds.But thanx

Your stock reeds are not "crappy", and a completely stock motor on any of the major brand bikes is pretty darn good engine! Everyone would like to believe that there are simple bolt on devices that will provide dramatic increases in performance but the truth of the matter is that if there was a simple improvement that didn't have major disadvantages associated with it they would have built it that way to start with.

If your reeds were broken then the bike would not run well at all. If they were broken badly the bike wouldn't run, period. If the reeds are just a little warped and not performing well it would be most noticable at very low RPMs and make for very hard starting. Many years ago reeds were made of "reed" would warp or dry out and crack fairly regularly. Modern "reeds" are of a synthetic material that hardy ever goes bad.

If your air filter is clean then your engine should be breathing just fine. Changing the air filter arrangement won't help your situation at all and could hurt things.

One thing that you might want to try is to clean out and repack your silencer. If it has gotten so gunked up with spooge it could be messing with the pipe characteristics.

I haven't figured out if you have had any prior two stroke experience or if this is your first bike. Two strokes are high reving engines and many people are reluctant to let them rev up high enough to get them into their power band. I suspect that your bike is fine.

Looking at your bio, what the heck are you doing on a CR-80 anyway? A full size adult trying to go fast on small bike is just asking for injury.

Rod

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
derek the 2 stroke said:
It has decent bottom end.The problem is that the bike doesnt want to get on the pipe.But do you dont think that v-force and a good air filter would be worth it?

Yeah I just noticed, you are 20 years old? And your dad won't let you pull the reeds?

If that bike won't get on the pipe, I fear it has a lot less to do with the reeds and everything to do with your right wrist.

Everyone asks what makes James Stewart and Ricky Carmichael so fast, simple, the sliders in the carbs on their bikes go all the way to the top.. and stay there.

Twist the sh!t out of it, and it'll run.

May 5, 2007
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Your stock reeds are not "crappy", and a completely stock motor on any of the major brand bikes is pretty darn good engine! Everyone would like to believe that there are simple bolt on devices that will provide dramatic increases in performance but the truth of the matter is that if there was a simple improvement that didn't have major disadvantages associated with it they would have built it that way to start with.

If your reeds were broken then the bike would not run well at all. If they were broken badly the bike wouldn't run, period. If the reeds are just a little warped and not performing well it would be most noticable at very low RPMs and make for very hard starting. Many years ago reeds were made of "reed" would warp or dry out and crack fairly regularly. Modern "reeds" are of a synthetic material that hardy ever goes bad.

If your air filter is clean then your engine should be breathing just fine. Changing the air filter arrangement won't help your situation at all and could hurt things.

One thing that you might want to try is to clean out and repack your silencer. If it has gotten so gunked up with spooge it could be messing with the pipe characteristics.

I haven't figured out if you have had any prior two stroke experience or if this is your first bike. Two strokes are high reving engines and many people are reluctant to let them rev up high enough to get them into their power band. I suspect that your bike is fine.

Looking at your bio, what the heck are you doing on a CR-80 anyway? A full size adult trying to go fast on small bike is just asking for injury.

Rod
Your right my silencer is spooged up thanx.Oh and i lied on my age im fifteen i changed it sorry..But i have owned two other bikes.My old 89 yz80 and my little brothers 2005 crf 70.My silencer is drpping spooge onto my swingarm so thats probly the problem.Oh theres no way you can call me full size,im 5'5-5'7 and am only like 100 pounds.I clean my airfilter very frequently.I think my gearing may be part of it to,i checkd and my rear sprocket is a 49.Thats geared a little to high i think but im not sure.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom