Are rad guards worth the cost??

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
hi, i can get some msr rad guards for $27. I was wondering if it is worth it. I already have slightly damaged radiators and do not want them to get worse. Also do they restric some of the airflow and become a problem or are they fine?? thanks.
Do they guard my rad well and what rad fliud do you guys recommend.? thanks

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
The cost of rad gaurds are well worth the investment. Go price out a new rad and see why $27 is very cheap for a little insurance. I run EVANS coolant in my bike with no overheating problems at all.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Are you talking aluminum guards that reinforce and support the radiators, or just the plastic louvers that mount in front of the radiators? If it's a full on guard / support then that is a hell of a deal, and well worth the money for the protection. If you are just talking about louvers for air direction, well, you better have a set of those already, or be prepared for overheating issues!

I run the Prestone coolant that supposably works in any vehicle. Never had a problem, even in a 95+ degree harescramble that had me beating the crap out of my bike in lots of 1st gear terrain. It did get hot, but never overheated. I was surprised because the 220's are supposed to be prone to overheating.

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
If they just cover the front, forget it!! Just get a piece of gutter guard from Lowes and cut and wrap it around the plastic louvers. It looks kool and keeps the sticks out of your rad.

Top Bottom