Are reeds cages worth the money?

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
hi, i was just wondering if it is worth spending the $150 on a reed cage. I dont have a ton of money so that would be one of my major hop-ups. I was just wondering if it was worth it. Also what would a reed cage give me that just new reeds woundnt.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
If you dont have a pipe yet spend your money there first. I noticed better snap and it seemed a very small power increase but I think the pipe made a much larger difference. Just my opinion.

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
I've got a DF3 too... But, if I had to do it over again I woulda made a block spacer and used Boysen 607's and saved $100.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Green Hornet said:
Doesn't the DF3 have a two stage adjustment, one to make the reeds more tense and the other to have less tension (High revs vs. low revs)??

The correct answer is, 'No.'

matt-itude said:
My 03 200 that I put a df3 on has no adj. to the reeds or cage.

Correct.

DF2's do..3's do not.

Like a lot of other things, it's a bunch of little steps thoughtfully put together for a synergistic result.

A pipe by itself will be a larger advantage than most other single changes. A good reed system is a close second.

The DF3 is a good reed system.

re: 'Is it worth it?'

Yes.

hog

Nov 13, 2001
My two cents is follow the advice of Jeff Fredette when it comes to performance and do it in the order he suggests. Here is the link
http://www.frpoffroad.com/kdxposed/engineTips.aspx

If you do you will get very predictable (not trial and error) performance increases. I have ventured on my own several times while searching for the KDX performance that is right for me and I always end up returning to his advice. You can even call him directly or email him and he will respond.

Oh, and the porting and head mod on the 220 are worth it.

Hog

Top Bottom