Are there any tall GAS GAS riders out there?

Burner

Dec 11, 2000
I have been dreaming about what my next bike will be, and can’t seem to get GAS GAS out of my head. What seems irresistible is, that six-speed transmission among many other things. However, some of the posts here have stated that is it not really suited to a rider over 6 feet? Are there any tall GAS GAS riders out there and what needs to be done if anything to “make it fit”. I currently own a 00 300 EXC and it fits me well (I’m 6.2’) with the tall seat and CR high bend bars. Now I’m thinking maybe a 200 GAS GAS. Which brings me to my next question is the 200 as sturdy as the 300 or 250? What I really mean by this will stand up to fat person (240#) riding it? Now before you tell me that I will be disappointed in the power of a 200 let me just say that all of my riding is very tight very snotty woods so while the 300 is very good the power is tiring after just a short time. Set me straight ...I can take it. Thanks for any replies.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
6'2", 240+lots of gear on a EC/XC300 works fine for me. I have tall seat and bars. Love the bike.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
There not bad for tall riders, just better than most for short riders. I know a tall guy who just added spacers under the stock bar mounts and he's happy. All the bikes share the same frame. I've been there with the 300 EXC, but the 250 and 300 GGs are much better for snotty woods, especially with the EC spec motor mods, so don't think you need the 200 before checking out the 250/300. The motors are very flexible and can be tuned to suit your taste. Flywheel weight, ignition map, compression, reed spacers can all be speced out on order or changed later.

Burner

Dec 11, 2000
Thanks guys, great info. I had no idea you could customize to such an extent. Are the dealers knowledgeable/helpful in this regard?

EK

Dec 3, 2000
Big Boys on a GasGas

I am 6'0" and 240+ lbs ready to ride. I have a '01 GasGas 300XC with Renthal Jimmy Button high bars and the stock seat. I have resprung with .44 front and 5.6 rear for my weight and riding. The ergos are great standing up - I stand up as much as posible. Ergos sitting down work fine on agressive cornering. The seat may be a little low for some. However, for me the seat height fits well when I need to dab crawling around in the tough stuff.

Overall, an awesome machine.

If you want parts for GasGas contact Jim Cook at smackovermotorsports.com. He has most of what you need. If he doesn't have it he will get it.

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC

RLTowns

Jun 17, 2001
I have a '01 Gas Gas XC/EC 300 with same bar and suspension modifications as EK and I am 6'3" 250 + lbs and it feels good.

The '02 Gas Gas motorcross model seat foam is supposedly 1" taller foam and should be available in Sept. I have also ordered some spacers that move the handlebars up and forward about 1/2 inch.

Can's say enough good things about my experience with Smackover Motorsports.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
6'2" 225 lbs. with all my gear on. Stock bars with the offset clamp rotated to the forward position and stock seat height. Switching to the Renthal "Button" bend bars when the stock ones bend eventually.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Just a weenie 5'11 190 here

But I still love my 300!

Top Bottom