Are two stroke bikes really going out?

gplracer

Aug 24, 2003
I was at the local motorcycle dealership and they stated that buy 2006 it would probably be illegal to bring two stroke bikes into the U.S. Do you folks this this is true? I was just getting back into riding and was stunned to hear this. The guy said no one was buying the KDX bikes. He said they cannot keep the 4 stroke bikes on the sales floor? What is this all about?

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
As far as I know...mfg. will continue to make 2storke race bikes, ie cr, yz, kx.....it seems that they most likely will discontiue 2stroke trail bikes like the kdx, soon or later.....So, get you 2stroke trail bike now!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
The way I understood it, was they couldn't sell them as ready to go trail bikes it would be considered closed course. But if I took my MX'er threw on a legal spark arrestor and had the legal ORV license and Tab's it be all good to go.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
The AMA did some great work here. They had the definition of closed course opened up from professional MX'ers to Hare Scrambles, Enduros, etc. So any 2 stroke bike built with the intent to compete in any kind of racing would be legal. This means about the only 2 stroke bike that could not be sold after that time would be the KDX, which is a great bike but hasn't had any R&D attention in at least 7 years.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Are they just prevented from R&D on ALL bikes come 2006 or just R&D on bikes not designed for the above listed activities? From what I gather from your comment is that as long as these bikes are made for some type of competition then they won't be affected by the 2stroke ban?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
jboomer, there's no rule against 2 stroke R&D, it's the threat of no sales in the US that would cause the mfr's to make a business decision not to continue R&D. Honda has stated in the press that they have 2 stroke CR development plans at least through 2010. 2 strokes keep getting better and better.

If you're really worried about this then join the AMA and help

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Gary, can you point us to a date or more precise article than just their home page? Thanks!

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
It's the lead story today (October 22, 2003).

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Opps, it changed since I made my first post. It is yesterdays news. The basic story is that 2-strokes are still competetive.

teknoterd

Jun 28, 2001
hmmmm it seems this has sheadded more light on the situation. i thought that in 98 or 99 when this whole thing first reared its ugly little head that a certain motorcycle company in japan that had just debued its new MX thumper, cough... cough.. YAMAHA cough... had made it up so they could sell more bikes.

Top Bottom