Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Do I need a louder more powerful pipe?

I don't know if I will get in trouble for posting this, but I think all riders should read it. I copied this from The Blue Ribbon Coalition website. Read the whole thing.

QUIET PLEASE! -- TWO BIKERS TELL A TALE OF SOUND
by Charlie Williams & Bill Uhl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was up on a hill the other day and ran into a friend of mine, Billy Uhl, a leader in our sport of dirt biking. Billy was the top American finisher at the 1973 ISDT, as well as a 9-year vet at 6-Days' competitions.

These days, Billy lives in a quiet mountain setting from which he does trail construction and maintenance. Billy has watched our sport from behind the scenes for many years, so if we are smart, we will listen when he speaks.

When I ran into Billy, I was out riding for fun and looking for new subjects to write about. Billy had a subject for me - noise and sound. He works on the trails up here in Idaho. He'll ride his old bike up a hill, park it, then cut and dig trails all day long. Billy loves his "office." He had heard me coming, and I have a quiet bike. It's a 250 two-stroke with a good silencer, so it's never revved up on the pipe. It's stealthily quiet, yet he had heard me for the last couple of minutes.

As we talked, I mumbled along about this and that, only to have him turn his head to say "Huh?" Billy can't hear well out of his left ear. He blames it on years of chain saw and bike use without earplugs.

Here is a guy who loves dirt bikes and riding, deaf in one ear, but he still noticed the sound of my reasonably quiet bike. At one point in our visit, he perked up like Radar on M*A*S*H, saying "Jet plane. You can hear them for two and a half minutes."

"I never paid any attention."

"Exactly," replied Billy. "You can hear a plane for two and a half minutes, but people are used to them and don't pay any attention. So they block them out, just like you've done."

I perked up with my new-found sound sensitivity. "Dirt bike, four-stroke."

As the rider came closer to our side of the small valley, I looked at Billy with surprise. The bike we had been listening to was now within a couple of minutes of us, but it appeared to have given birth to two other bikes that we could now hear softly purring. The entire journey across the valley had taken about ten minutes, but we only heard one bike until the last two minutes.

"This is exactly the point," Billy clarified. "Our sound is normally not audible as far away or as long as that of the jet plane. Because traditionally, motorcyclists stay in the acceptable range of sound, they're only audible for a short time. In this case, we heard one bike a long way off for a long time, and the other two bikes only a short time."

Three happy trail riders had now rolled up, one with a big-man exhaust. Billy tactfully told the loud rider that we could hear his bike from the time he crested the ridge on the other side of the valley. The guy just shook his head while saying something about the bike needing to breathe, so he had opened up the silencer.

Now, I was puzzled and made a caustic comment. "Why do they call it a silencer if it makes more noise?"

The guy explained that he needed the louder exhaust to get the most power out of the 450, and my sarcasm again rode to the surface. So I asked, "Are you a famous racer?"

"Well no."

"Are you in a big race right now?"

"No," he replied sheepishly.

"Then why do you need to disturb everyone for a quarter of a mile around just so you can trail ride?"

"Because I like the power." He was getting defensive now, but I was filled with questions.

"Can you actually use the power? Couldn't Larry Roseler beat you on an 80cc bike? Haven't you noticed that one of your buddies was in front of you?"

Our conversation soon ended. Billy strapped his chain saw back on his dilapidated Kawasaki. I strapped on my helmet, and the five of us took off. The booming four-stroke was right behind me, or so it seemed because the noise was right on my shoulder. I made some good turns, and soon it felt like I must be getting away from him though it sounded like he was still on my fender.

The five of us rode a few miles before Billy stopped to clear a fallen tree. I rolled up, removed my helmet and started to help. Then the loud bike showed up. We had made our point. It's not the bike or the power; it's the rider.

Bob had been transformed. "I get your point, fellas. I'll put the quiet stock exhaust back on my bike. If a guy in hiking boots riding a tool wagon can outride me, then maybe I don't need the little bit of extra power a noisy exhaust might give me."

His friends were beaming smiles. We all laughed, then Bob and his companions rode off. Billy and I listened to Bob's loud bike for quite a while. He was being light on the throttle now, trying to slip away without making any more noise than he had to.

We sat on a log, overlooking the mountains of Idaho. You could see for hundreds of miles in all directions. Huge pine trees and rocky crags towered above us. Streams cut their way through valley floors. Birds chirped and chipmunks skittered about. Mountain lions and wolves live there too, not to mention elk and deer and all the other friendly woodland creatures. A 24-inch wide motorcycle trail snaked its way along, following old miners' routes that had followed the traces of Indians who had followed animal trails.

You get the picture? There is a tiny ribbon of trail zigzagging around. Everyone is happy until someone puts a loud bike on it. Suddenly, noise can be heard for about a quarter of a mile to the north and south -- a half-mile-wide corridor of unnecessary noise is created just so one loud biker can use 24 inches of trail! (Note: Sound travels different distances as terrain changes. We are using the worst case scenario - a ridge trail.)

Billy said, "They keep coming after us. Sound will be the next issue."

"They who?" I jerked around and looked over my shoulder looking for bears, wolves, or mountain lions.

"The government is coming. When they outlawed two-cycle engines, they thought that would close us out or at least make it more difficult. So factories started building better four-stroke motors, and our sport struggles on."

"Yeah, and the sound a four-stroke makes carries a lot differently than a two stroke." I said trying to stay in the conversation.

"Yes, the four-stroke's sound carries differently. But anymore, the snowmobile guys are running straight expansion chambers and can be heard from a mile away. That's a two-mile corridor of noise. I love snowmobiling and ride them all the time, but it's annoying to listen to them all day while I'm at home."

"They have three cylinders - that's 140 to 160 HP! How much more power do they think they need?"

"They don't need more power. It's just like the bikes. It's not the power - it's the rider and the ability to ride well. To the public, any sound that is different from what they are used to is "bad." One loud bike can turn them sour against all riders. It's the same with loud snow machines. Somehow we have to rally the troops and police ourselves."

"If we don't do it, the government will, and I guarantee that we won't like what they do to us. We need to convince the manufactures to stop selling loud exhaust systems. Nobody needs the noise or the hearing loss that emerges from it. We have to get them to sell us good, quiet systems. People just don't realize that trails and tracks are being closed to us because of what's called 'sound pollution.'"

"You know the Speedway guys have gone to quiet exhaust, and they have a new track right in town. Back in Indianapolis, Speedway participants share the parking lot with an exotic dance club, so how much noise are they making?" I asked.

"Hearing loss, land closure, fatigue; these are just a few problems with noise. Sound could be the next battlefield. Did you know they are using money from the Green Sticker program to buy decibel meters? How stupid are we? Are we really going to finance our own demise? If we don't address the sound issue on our own, we will be committing recreational suicide."

I answered, "You know, I went to a desert race the other day. They started in three rows, A, B, and C. The A row was pretty quiet. Most of the four strokes had stock exhaust, and the two cycles didn't stand out as loud. The B row had a couple of loud bikes, but the C row was the noisiest of all three! Most four-strokes had big man exhausts on them, so what we are up against is educating the beginners."

I continued, pretty much rewording what I had just said. It sounded good last time; let's see if I can pass it off as genuine thoughts again. "The expert riders understand that loud exhaust is not good. They know it fatigues them, and the manufacturers understand noise is not good. Manufacturers just build them because the educationally unencumbered buy them, thinking they need the noise. The public hates the sound, and other riders are also annoyed by it. Nobody craves hearing loss, and none of us want more land closures."

Billy continued. "Even on 'closed courses' noise is a problem, if the MX track is bothering neighbors a quarter of a mile away, the government has no other choice but to shut the track down."

"Yeah, they claim the loud pipes are just for closed courses, but they sell them to anyone. The buyers then use them everywhere, not just on closed courses. Just a few moments of noise can sour our potential supporters."

"A closed course?" said Billy. "If the sound travels like it does here in the mountains, then that makes the closed course with a quarter mile radius of angry neighbors. These neighbors don't care whether it is closed course or trail riding. All they know is bikes create sound. They don't like it, and they are going to act against us. Neighbors are going to call the cops; the cops call a meeting; the public gets organized; they come after us, and I don't blame them one bit. We have a responsibility to clean up our act."

I went on, "You know, we had the noise issue going pretty good once the two cycles became water cooled and good repackable silencers became practical. It's only been in the last few years, when the so-called racing four-stroke came back on the scene that noise became an issue again. Most of the four strokes are quiet from the factory. It's the after-market people who are feeding this problem. How do we convince them to stop selling the loud ones and focus on building good quiet ones? If they only would, the problem would solve itself in time. All the loud bikes would soon become outdated and pushed to the barn."

Billy continued, "I'm afraid the ignorant will always want more noise. They relate noise to speed, which is so wrong. To really ride well, you need to be one with the bike. You need to feel the RPM; you need to feel the ground through the tires and the pegs. If the bike is deafening you, how can you feel these things?"

Billy went on, "Even if we get the major manufactures to quit making loud pipes, ignorant companies will start building loud pipes. We need to make sure everyone knows just how uncool it is to be noisy. Michael Lafferty's 450 racer is quiet, so why does Joe Schmoe think more sound means more power. If Michael doesn't need it, why does the C class?"

Billy's passion for riding and the trails was so evident. "We've really got to make everyone conscious of this problem because it is threatening all of our rights to ride. We need to change, and we need to change now. If we don't, the government will continue to force change, and we all hate that."

As I gathered my things to leave, I told Billy I would write a story for the magazine. Most of the readers I know are already on the quiet bus, so it's the uninformed that we must reach. We have to counteract the propaganda that more noise means more power. You are of a higher plane of consciousness, and we need your assistance in educating those who are unconsciously creating offensive noise levels.

We need to start by enforcing noise restrictions at all of our races, events, and outings. Enduro guys do a good job, but the Hare Scrambles, MX, and family crowds could do better. The clubs need to change their rules and stand by them. Riders want to ride, so they will follow the rules and buy quiet exhausts.

Manufactures want to sell. If we as riders and clubs demand quiet pipes, they will produce them so they can sell them. We can go after the licensing organizations like the AMA, FIM, etc., and make them change their sound rules. The noise issue is finally one where we can start at the bottom and work our way up. If riders demand quiet, everyone above us will fall in line.

When I got back to the trailer home, I did a little research on hearing loss. It turns out the ear canal is filled with tiny hairs that change the mechanical energy of incoming sound waves into nerve messages to the brain. Sustained noise like a bike or a chain saw damages these tiny hairs, causing permanent hearing loss. Ear plugs are not always the cure, because some sounds travel right through the skull and cause damage. There is not enough research, but I'd bet a noisy four-stroke bores right through the skull. It does mine.

When I shared this article with Billy, he made one last comment. Apparently, "Einstein once said, 'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.' Sound does not have to become loud, annoying noise." Billy has a passionate plea, "Noise has to change to a sound level that is acceptable, so go forth and ride quietly."

My advice is to do something now! Write the manufactures, the after-market people and the race organizations to demand quiet pipes. Contact the clubs and demand quiet races, repack your own silencer, and educate your friends and family. Lead by example because our future depends on our making a difference. Like Billy said, if we wait for the government to do it for us, we will not like what they do.

--© 2004 Charlie Williams & Bill Uhl. For comments or questions on this article, the authors may be reached through the BlueRibbon Coalition: 4555 Burley Drive, Suite A, Pocatello, ID 83202. Phone: 208-237-1008, Fax: 208 237-9424. Bill Uhl, Senior Instructor, OHV

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Great reading!! :cool: Anybody here ever wear earplugs under their helmet while riding?? I just found out last week i have significant hearing loss in my left ear..
Rick

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Great article.I find the loud 4strokes very distracting when riding, due to the way sound travels (Lower frequency travels further). During my first H/S in May, I was constantly looking over my shoulder or pulling over due to the gunnery pipes on some of the 4strokers. To my amazment they were not even close, just sounded like they were on my rear fender. Nothing against a good pipe, but the Loud = Power scene is a bunch of BULL.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Good Read. :cool:

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
This article has made me think about my own pipe/silencer combo.

I use a ProCircuit Platinum for my 2002 KDX200. It is a thinwall rev type pipe. I use the stock KDX muffler.

The sound out the back is not too bad, but it isn't very quiet either. Because it is thinwall, it emanates sound from the the pipe itself . Overall, it is too loud! Well, unless I let off the throttle and fourstroke it past the houses (which I do).

I am buying the FMF Gnarly Desert which is thicker to see if it improves the problem.

By the way, my bike is not lacking for power with the stock muffler on it. And if I was concerned about the extra weight I could always reduce my intake of beer and burgers :| .

nrvs-nelly

Oct 25, 2003
Jackpiner57 said:
By the way, my bike is not lacking for power with the stock muffler on it. And if I was concerned about the extra weight I could always reduce my intake of beer and burgers :| .
Now that's a good point! I love when someone says I can take off 2 lbs of weight by changing to hi perf. parts. Yup good idea. spend $600 on those parts when all they need to do is diet!
Great article. Reminds of a guy who rides with us periodically. XR250 with Big Gun exhaust opened up. You can hear him for miles.

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
I've been giving quite a bit of thought along these lines recently. I've refused to put an aftermarket pipe on my last two street bikes because of the noise. I live 1 mile from an Interstate highway and am continually amazed at how easily I can hear bikes with loud pipes passing by. Frankly...I LIKE my bike quiet....the wind is loud enough, I wear ear plugs because of it. I too have significant hearing loss.
As for the dirt...my 04' CRF250X is still equiped with the factory exhaust, but uncorked ( the "Closed Coarse" recommendations) and my 96' XR is waaaay loud with an aftermarket setup. I've been considering a change of noise level. Any one have recommendation on good performance pipes that are quiet? The cork in the CRFX really holds the bike back. I know that FMF makes their Q series but I really haven't heard any good reports on their performance.

Thanks for the article :cool:

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I spent a lot of money on quiet pipes for both my 4-stroke YZ and my street bike this spring. Now, my son's KX65 is louder than my YZF...he's next. I think they are the best mods I have ever invested in because now I can enjoy my bikes knowing that I'm not disturbing others.

Land use issues are directly connected to the noise issue. Anyone who thinks differently probably has a loud exhaust.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Outstanding Post!

Hey Mods - this one should be put up as a "sticky" in every single forum we have on DRN!

I was camping with the (extended ) family this weekend. A few camp sites away was some guys with a ratted out old CR250 - end cap totally off the silencer - nothing inside! I was ticked right off - and I love bikes. My in-laws and various others there ALL commented about how loud that bike was, some not knowing I was a off roader - voiced the stereo typicaly "nasty dirt bikers" complaint and several said they should call the DNR etc etc. On top of this the idiots were miles and miles away from the nearest legal ORV trail. Eventually (gee how did that happen?) the DNR did show up and ticket them. Riding stopped - peace and quite returned!

Someone asked about earplugs. I used to do tons of street riding (on a bike with OEM exhaust) - long story short - I have a slight hearing loss in one ear. Keep in mind, this took place over 250,000 miles of street riding though. Once i realized I did have the hearing loss, I started riding with ear plugs on the street. Never a problem with hearing what I NEEDED to. Wind noise was a large factor and this was with a top shelf Arai helmet. Ironically, for some odd reason, I dont wear plugs off road. Perhaps I need to reconsider. The relatively lower speeds off road do reduce wind noise however. A risk with ear plugs might be that we would not be aware of how loud we are.

I to find the 4 strokes behind me always sound like they are right on me - when i look behind - nothin there!

I will likely tick off some Hardley Ableson riders with this next comment - but I find the loud Harely's on the street very annoying - and I think they are contributing to more motorcycle noise awareness of the general non riding public (they see more bikes on the street generally than off road is my guess). So every day they put up with a truely loud Harley blasting past their house, so when they see/hear what is actually a fairly quiet off road bike - they immediately are hyper sensitive to the sound level - regardless of what it actually is.

For us to get this noise issue behind us, we do need to contact the manufactures - and we need to convince our riding brothers that more sound does not necessarily = going faster, or more power.

I read an article some years ago dyno testing a Harley with typical "gutted baffles" and various after market pipes compared to stock. Of the 3 or 4 combos tested, only one yeilded any worth while power change - and in fact all the others actually decreased horsepower in the useable RPM range!

Here in MI to be legal off road you need 94db or less. In a tech inspection for a race last summer my 2000 KTM 300 EXC was sound tested - came in at 88.4 db! (I had just repacked the silencer). My 05 250Exc is every bit as quiet
Off my soap box - time to ride my KTM with OEM ultra quite exhaust!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
mafols said:
Capt. O....what did you put on the YZF ?

An FMF Q for the YZF. It's quieter than the stock pipe and MUCH quieter than the FMF Powercore it had on it. The Q really takes the "bark" out of the exhaust tone. It did reduce the top end power somewhat (via the seat of the pants dyno) but I picked up some low end power. I'm happy to trade the changes in power for the noise reduction. My YZ has a full-on Eric Gorr 262 kit, so it is not wanting for power.

glwilliams58 said:
What are you planning to do with for the KX65

We bought the bike used, and it came with an FMF silencer on it. FMF doesn't make a Q for this bike. I might try to locate a stock silencer on "the auction site". In the mean time, I will continue to repack the silencer with a quality packing material.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
one other quick comment about use of earplugs. On the street I often did very long iron butt type days riding. I found it dramatically less fatiguing to ride with ear plugs than without. The constant wind noise etc just seems to mentally fatigue you. I suspect this would hold true off road. (i cant say I have ever felt the need for it off road however - physical fatigue sets in way sooner for me!)

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Green Hornet said:
"Some not knowing I was a off roader - voiced the stereo typicaly "nasty dirt bikers" complaint and several said they should call the DNR etc etc."

Question-Who and what is the DNR????

Oops - I guess non Michiganders would be confused by that! Department of Natural Resources - those guys that like to close down riding areas :ugg:

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
CaptainObvious said:
An FMF Q for the YZF. It's quieter than the stock pipe and MUCH quieter than the FMF Powercore it had on it. The Q really takes the "bark" out of the exhaust tone. It did reduce the top end power somewhat (via the seat of the pants dyno) but I picked up some low end power. I'm happy to trade the changes in power for the noise reduction. My YZ has a full-on Eric Gorr 262 kit, so it is not wanting for powe

Thanks Gary :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Excellent post. This is one of the biggest issues facing all of us.

If they couldn't hear us, they wouldn't even know we were there.

I run stock exhaust systems on ALL of my bikes. Never had too much trouble keeping up. Just turn that little twisty thing on the right side of your handlebar a little harder and leave it on a little longer.

Those that seem to think they need a louder exhaust to go faster are making things much harder for the rest of us. Get a clue while we still have a few places left to ride. :ugg:

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Great post:thumbup

I can't stand the loud 4-strokes, or 2-strokes with blown out packing for that matter. I've found that for my uses a stock exhausted 2-stroke with a well packed silencer is fairly quiet (I ride MX and trails, no neighbors near by so I don't have to worry too much). I would like to try an FMF Q but don't have the $145 right now:( As it is I re-pack the stock silencer often and my bike came with a carbon fiber pipe guard (e-line) which also helps lessen the sound, similar to a double walled KDX pipe, but without the weight:)

Top Bottom