Are you a member of the Broken Collarbone Club?

Are you a member of the Broken Collarbone Club?

• Yes - broke it while riding

Votes: 308 36.3%
  • Yes - but not related to riding

Votes: 65 7.7%
  • No - but broke another bone(s) while riding

Votes: 126 14.8%
  • No - but broke another bone(s) not related to riding

Votes: 108 12.7%
  • Never broken a bone (knock on wood!)

Votes: 242 28.5%

• Total voters

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
1972 Rose Captial National Enduro about 1.5 miles out first woods section. Bike stalls on an uphill, hop of to push, foot gets caught in a rut I fall. Break and dislocate ankle also tore achilles tendon. Not a good day. :moon:

Last edited:

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
Never broke it, dislocated it 4 times.
3 concussions, 1 shattered helmet,
left wrist- vaporized all carpals, shattered radius, crushed nerves; 9 hr surgury, a cadaver's carpals, lots of titanium hardware, therapy therapy therapy= good as new (God I love racing!!!)
shaved right pettella/ compound laceration, never test jetting after a new exhaust and intake by riding wheelies 1st-6th on a private road with a storm drain in the middle of it (unless you would like to see what your shin bone and knee cap look like). mmmmmmmm blood transfusions.
fingers and toes- there might be a few good ones left, i think
Getting hurt- its not if, its when, how bad, and how often.
Dont regret a second of it. Ride Forever!!!!!
-Nick

RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
No collarbones, but . . .

Broken thumb--riding on the street, and
Broken wrist--snowboarding.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Yep! Right collarbone in two places, crashed in some deep sand just over two years ago. Also cracked a rib (riding), broken wrist (wrestling in high school), right thumb (ran it through a fan belt/pulley). :eek:

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Broke right collarbone 15 miles into a very good enduro. Nov 9 03. Very first thought while laying on the ground was "It could have been worse". AT that point I kinda thought this might be the end of dirtbiking. But that only lasted about 10 seconds.

The break is not what is bad about mine, What my problem is is I have a Category 3 seperation. That is when there are NO more ligaments attatched to the shoulder at all. It will never pull the bone back down so I will have the lump forever. The doc said they could try reattaching but there is a good chance it wont work. He said they will just cuttoff the last 1 inch or so of the bone so it doesnt rub on my muscles. Recovery time is very short compared to trying to reattatch.

Anybody ever had this done?

I will never quit riding, just going to slow down a little. :thumb:

Lost part of my right index finger at work, thought that would be the end of working forever but that fell thru also :confused:

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I broke both arms at the same time while riding alone. Then I had to ride home. The throttle would only return manually, which came in handy as a 'Cruise Control'.  Geez I miss those days.

Joe Chief

evil

Sep 3, 2003
cfr450r- 1 adam- 0

at least i didnt hurt, after 2 weeks i went to the doctor to make sure i was ok and nope! so i have a figure 8 sling thing to wear for a few weeks.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Us broken collarbone people are almost at 50%!

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
We are the type of people that go out and do things that put us in a position of breaking bones. Dirt bikes, bicycle racing, you name it and we are there!
I raced bicycles no breaks, ride a dirt bike no breaks, my wife puts some stuff in the hall and I kick a pipe sticking out the other side of the wall and YES a broken little toe.
Got to get out of the house, for safetys sake if nothing else.
Tom

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Speedy,

Sorry about your broken little toe.  Yea, toes, I darn near pee'd myself once or twice over toes. I have a video ( i filmed it myself while he prayed for death ) of a friend who busted his toe in my home and sometimes remind him of it when he's acting a little too big and mighty for his britches. Hang in there Big Guy, I'm rootin' for ya and we're all in this together.

A guy I work with will be out for 8 to 12 weeks, (I'll bet 12), because he fell down the steps attempting to carry a case of beer to the basement (if it was coors light, I guess God is is trying to tell him something, but who am I to judge?) and broke his ankle. (he suffered a moderate heart attack a few weeks back) Seems one of his kids left an empty plastic bag on the first step and the rest is. well, just picure it in your head. One more senseless alcohol related injury. If this was me I'd stay in bed for a few weeks just out of fear but that's beside the point.

So remember folks, don't put your beer in the basement. It only increases your chances of injury dramatically and you're only cheatin' yerself. Stuff some in the fridge upstairs, maybe on the backporch (weather permitting, and don't forget those neighborhood hooligans), even the garage if you must, I like to keep a few handy in the toilet tank, but never the basement,  I repeat NEVER in the basement. 

Happy HotDog, :)

Chief

Last edited:

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
If you had asked this question about 5 weeks ago, I would've been in the never broken a bone group. But, alas, I am a member of the collarbone club. 5 titanium screws, no plate (I had a spiral fracture so a plate wouldn't fly. I've got questions about your (yalls?) collarbone fracture, but to not hijack the thread, I'll start a new one.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Broke my wrist skiing but no bones riding. Got a concussion riding and stiches in one knee. Many scars on my elbows and arms from a couple of bad low sides.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Never broken anything except plastic on the bike (well maybe a few clutch levers & perches and those darn barkbusters).

I think it's because we have the beer in the basement fridge, upstairs kitchen fridge, some in the shop fridge and even some outside on the front porch now that it snowed.

No worry about hooligans, the front portch is 12' off the ground. Uncle Norm has been known to make off with some of the beer when he comes through the place after hunting but it was Rainier Light or something so we were trying to GIVE it away!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
No major broken bones, UNTIL DW '03!!!   I am now a member of BBC.  Mick and I were comparing the damage at the closing ceremonies at Cooperland.

Just got the "All Clear" from the orthopedic and looking for rehab exerecises.  I did a search, but no success.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Rehab for me was trying to hold on and steer a car with my left hand (broken side). I started at the 6 o'clock position, and gradually moved up to the 9 o'clock position, then 10, 11, 12, 1, etc. Took a while, but steering at the various wheel positions with the bad side helped strengthen the atrophied muscles and break up the scar tissue.

Another one is to stand a few feet away from a wall, extend your bad arm and touch your fingers against the wall. Start low, about waist high, and walk your fingers up the wall in front of you as high as you can stand. Keep going up and down the wall. Eventually you'll get to about head-high, then you just keep working at going higher every day.

House work seemed to make the injury worse, so be careful... ;)

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
My ortho advised me to keep moving my shoulder several times a day, even a day or two after the break. She was more worried about the muscles, tendons, etc. weakening and shrinking than the bone. She told me if the muscles atrophy it would take months and months to regain the movement and strength. Smit Dogs wall excercise works great, especially in the early stages. I usually did it in a hot shower. Hurt like a bi***, but felt great a few minutes later. I used to tell my wife I was playing "Teensy Weensy Spider" in the shower. :laugh:

nitropimp

Nov 29, 2003
No collarbone, 2 surgeries on right shoulder, dislocated left shoulder in July, 2 brain concussions, 3 broken fingers, several lower back injuries(not bad enough for surgery), and dislocated ribs. All motorcycle related except for the left shoulder, that was due to standing in a metal chair with slick sole shoes trying to change a bulb in the security light in the dark, high sided me big time.
My neighbor, he raced Top Fuel Harley's, crashed in Denver in 01', broke all his fingers, broke 6 ribs, ACL damage to both knees(kneecaps almost ground off) and broke his ankle. Estimating he hit the ground about 170 mph.
Patrick

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Lets see. Left collarbone, three times in the same place. I've got one heck of a calcium deposit. Two fingers on my left hand. Bruised ribs and left lung the first time I broke my collarbone. Partially dislocated right shoulder two many times to count. It sucks seating on the side of the track watching the moto your in waiting for the muscles to relax so the shoulder goes back in. Complete dislocated shoulder twice. Once riding and once swimming. Two bad concussions, the second one I only know what happened from what my wife and racing buddies have total me. Its weird losing about 8 hours and not really remembering anything. Amongst all of this I also cracked three different helmets. The last one was this year, but no broken bones, just a knee that looked like it was hit by shrapnel.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
Thankfully Im not a member. I did find some wood to beat on though.
I broke 4 vertebrae in my neck and 3 in my back on the street drag racing. The dodge vans frame got a zx9 welded to it with nos. havent been 150 on two wheels since.
I did brake a few ribs crossing 3 trees when I only saw one. If it were 2 I wouldve just crashed and not had a tree to break my ribs on!!!

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
brokn bones suk for the rest off your frigin life.
Its 230 in da mownin and Im sore as your thumb or anything else that can be from workn and tha weatr and have too gooo ridin at 630
tha soreness of life blow so bad that theres tornados forming outside though its not near as bad as if it happened while ridding

Lets just pray that we wil get to ride forever cus sooner or later Ive got to catch somebody.

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
1 left collarbone with 9 pins and a plate.
1 left foot with three broken toes
4 left side ribs
1 right side wrist. Sheared the radius and ulna in half down near the wrist.
I have the unfortunate talent of removing myself from motorcycle seats at high rates of speed.

I think KTM Mike has the record as far as I know. Maybe he'll see this thread. He's had something like 21 or so broken bones. :scream:

Top Bottom