Are you a member of the Broken Collarbone Club?

Are you a member of the Broken Collarbone Club?

• Yes - broke it while riding

Votes: 308 36.3%
  • Yes - but not related to riding

Votes: 65 7.7%
  • No - but broke another bone(s) while riding

Votes: 126 14.8%
  • No - but broke another bone(s) not related to riding

Votes: 108 12.7%
  • Never broken a bone (knock on wood!)

Votes: 242 28.5%

• Total voters

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
Oops! Voted wrong!

I clicked "Yes, but not related to riding".
It happened about 25 years ago. I came up a small hill/jump on my '75 XL350, and got T-Boned by a VW.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Mike-
I think it depends on the break. I wore a figure 8 and I'm convinced it helped. There is others however that went without it. What does your doc suggest?

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
No broken bones, yet...
-Severely sprained right wrist several times...(rollerblading the first half a dozen times, and one time snowboarding)
-3 Concussions, 1 riding, the other two at work within a week of each other
-Torn Meniscus, from small streetbike accident in Sep. '03

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Forgot to mention that the 3rd concussion was the worst. I still can't remember it on my own. I had minor brain damage, and spent a few weeks going to therapy sessions. I still get dizzy and lightheaded every now and then.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
No broken bones as of now. :thumb: Then again when you never ride you never break bones. :laugh:

Jarda

Apr 22, 2002
Not broken but.....

Hi all (and good healing of course:-)
I checked 'No broken' and it's true, BUT i got LUXATION on outer side of right collar bone. My question is - how long takes
recovery? when I will be able to ride MX from surgical operation?
Thnx Jarda

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Broke my colar bone while trying to hydroplane across a creek on a....quad! That was two weeks before starting high school. Talk about embarassing...first year at the high school, and I'm wearing this figure 8 brace...yeah, that was cool.

Cut my finger off loading my bike. Grabbed the bottom of the fork leg and lifted. Apparently my ring finger was dangling in the slot in the brake rotor. The bike rolled forward and SNIP, there went my finger! A few stitches later, and my finger was back on. :)

Broke my finger at my only attempt at Arenacross (same finger that I cut off). Got tangled with a guy on the start straight and went down. I finished the heat and noticed in the pits that my finger was HUGE. Went home and cut my wedding band off with wire cutters... Still can't wear my wedding band, because of my knuckle.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
KelvinKDX said:
Cal - can you say "accident prone"?

Well....I'm 25 and I've been riding since I was 5. I figure I'm doing better than most people who have been riding for 20 years! :laugh:

arrow101

Feb 23, 2004
hmmmm some nice war stories here. I havent broken a collar bone touch wood. Probly my worst stack was 2 years ago a 4th gear cartwheel on my WR resulting in 1 broken Left humerous (the bit from your shoulder to your elbow) which broke the ball off the top which is your shoulder joint. I also dislocated it when it was broken and dislocated my right shoulder too. and no it was the humerous but it was nooooot funny!!!!

about 6 months before that i broke my right wrist on my bike. A bad run but not too bad im in the same boat as cal about 18 years of riding and im 24. apart from ribs, fingers and toes thats all i have broken on a bike.

broke 2 arms in the playgrounds at school!!!!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
My parents never let me ride as a kid, "It's to dangerous!", They bought me safe toys like BMX bikes and skateboards. Needless to say I got hurt more on those than I ever have riding.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Broke left clavical body boarding 1996, 6 bones in left foot riding (crashing) 2000, 3 bones in right foot riding 2001, broke both wrists and right clavical 2004 (still healing) and virtually every finger playing basketball and doing karate for over 10 yrs. And yes I CAN say ACCIDENT PRONED !!!! Thats not to mention several concussions. Bottom line YES I have broken both collarbones and it sucks A$$. The worst part is the brace you have to wear and loss of saddle time. The right collar bone I broke while wearing brand new armour and I didnt want to cut the armstrap to get it off either. VERY PAINFUL. :eek:

whatAride

May 16, 2004
broke mine 8 weeks ago not riding, car accident and i have a 1/2 inch overlap with a bit of a gap between the two bones. I have good range off motion and will be starting streanght exercises this week. just wondering how long will it take to fully heal? Also the top bone at the end is very visable, its becoming a bump. Will this get smaller and how long will this process take?. My doc says collerbones remodles after it heals but he did not give me time table. I also wanna know if my shoulders will be even cus at the moment the injured shoulder is a bit lower then the other? I heard it all comes back in its right place after biulding the muscles in the shoulder.

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've never even crashed my motorcross bike. It did fall of the stand once and I strained myself a little picking it back up, though.

I guess if the rest of you were better riders, you wouldn't get hurt, either.

1966mustang

Jun 8, 2004
Ive busted open my lip 10 stitches chin 19 stitches broke two fingers, a wrist, 1 concussion, and 1 broke ankle and im only 15 lol. but i think evel kneivel has us all beat

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
Broke mine six weeks ago, go to the ortho on the 22nd. Not very optimistic, but plan on riding next weekend. At least I'm not alone, and yes riding is worth the pain, but not the down time. Peace and heal quickly :ride:

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
recovering right now from a broken collar bone and humorous (arm bone) it's been a little over 3 weeks a stills hurts when i move it. going to be scary getting back on, but i want to

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Domenic said:
How long should you wait before riding again? The Doc says 6 months, I say 8 weeks. Is it too soon?
I say the doc can probably give you better advice for your specific situation than a bunch of wierdos posting to a website in the middle of the night wearing just their underwear and eating Cheetos.

(Am I sharing a little too much here?)

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
High Lord Gomer said:
I say the doc can probably give you better advice for your specific situation than a bunch of wierdos posting to a website in the middle of the night wearing just their underwear and eating Cheetos.

(Am I sharing a little too much here?)

You're wearing underwear? :laugh:

prvt.pyle

~SPONSOR~
Aug 18, 2003
Suffering though my first dislocated shoulder. Took a nasty spill on a trail 10 miles from the truck and had to ride back in with it. That was no fun.

Top Bottom