Are you really that stupid?

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Zenith said:
Have you visited many other "modern" countries out of interest and seen how they live?

No, nor do I ever care to, But I don't think too many other countries would tolerate carrying of firearms, although some places in this country don't either. (Illinois)

But do make sure you put my name in the next quote box...

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Zenith said:
LOL, you're getting the hang of it now! Throw in a few claims of liberating and protecting the world and you'll be a pro. :)

next time y'all have a potato famine give us a call we know the recipe for pasta we will help you....regardless of anyones opinion of our alleged alterior motives :)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Interesting thread, VERY interesting in fact.

To the question of us being European in background, I am proud to say that I am a fifth generation Texan with a Cherokee Grandmother and Negro Grandfather in my background. That being said, you would never have known it with my blond hair as a kid.

America is the greatest country on earth, because for the first time in recorded history a political system developed that released the human spirit to become whatever it wanted. The Plymouth Colony was based originally on collectivism and they darn near starved to death. Capitalism is the name of the game here and as much as the Liberals and Unions might try, capitalism, as an economic philosophy, continues to thrive. Bill Gates is one my heros as much because of creating something out of nothing (master marketer of DOS) way out in Washington (the state) as his ability to stay under the radar (British invention) screens in Washington (the town). The Beltway Gang (political class here in America) cannot allow for unfettered capitalism, as we tend to ignore them. By nature, capitalism does not accept boundaries.

Boundaries are the key difference between America and most other developed countries on earth. As an example, consider the definition of the word frontier. We have always looked at frontiers as something (usually within our boundaries) to conquer, while the Europeans view frontiers as the boundaries between countries. This is not my thesis, rather one written extensively on in The Great Frontier by Walter Prescott Webb in 1962.

Every country achieves the majority of it’s good early in its’ life and then falls into a period of complacency that can best be described as sitting on one’s laurels. America was counted out in the 1970's with the ascension of Japan, only to eclipse Japan as it has languished for 20 years with a banking and credit crisis that Japan refuses to deal with. In America, we cut our losses in the larger world of business, all the while enduring constant carping from the unions about protectivism for their “minions”. In the world of politics, big business here in America endures a daily barrage of criticism about how “unfeeling” they are. Capitalism is great specifically because it is NOT about feelings. While Japan has been busy saving face, America has been jettisoning dead wood. America is reinventing itself from the complacency that crept into the system beginning in the late 1880's and continues through the late 1980's. That century encompasses some of the best accomplishments America has made on the world stage while also encompassing some of the most restrictive policies (taxes and regulations) every burdened on it’s own citizens.

As much because of size as anything else, much of the written history about the European Continent encompasses protectivism. This is not a criticism as much as an observation. I’ve lost track who said it (Muddy I think), but the comment of America singing from the same hymnal while Europe sings from different hymnals, does it in individual languages and with nationalism alive and well in the voices, is a very accurate point. I agree that the concept of a European Union was DOA. The “culture” of America is under assault at the moment by an unprecedented influx of economic refugees across our southern border. Western Europe has experienced this immigration from former eastern bloc countries as well as the middle east. Because of the smaller size of individual countries in Europe, the big picture economic problem of the impact of immigrants has begun to surface sooner than it will here in America.

Economic refugees are going to be a HUGE issue over the next 30~50 years for both European and American politicians. There is tons of ink opining that people are coming to America for jobs and to a certain extent this is true. I would counter that many of the refugees are here because they are taking advantage of the fact that we have numerous safety nets for our citizens, as does Europe. We cannot continue to attempt to support these refugees while watching our manufacturing base quickly being moved to countries such as China because of their wage competitiveness.

I do have a great deal of faith that America will face this challenge as well and reinvent itself in this age of unprecedented economic growth worldwide. Capitalism will be the engine this re-invention as well as the economic system that demands freedom for all people here on earth. China is struggling with capitalism now and it will ultimately destroy communism there. I have less faith in Europe at the moment as some countries in Western Europe, such as France and Germany, are mired in a debate about the welfare state, collective bargaining and economic stagnation. An answer will come out of the debate, but it will be a while doing so. Ireland has opened up it’s market and the last I heard become somewhat of a magnet for economic development.

I recently finished The FairTax Book by Neal Boortz and I have to say that it solidified my opinion that we must have a tax revolution here in America.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
Masterphil said:
USA is awesome, Everyone else is not.
Zenith/Masterphil said:
Have you visited many other "modern" countries out of interest and seen how they live?
-No, nor do I ever care to...
xsnrg said:
The US is the best country in the world...
the US is the best place to call home IMO.

Just out of curiosity... how does everyone KNOW that the US is the best country in the world? Pretty ignorant to say if you've never lived anywhere else. Only a fool makes up his mind without knowing both sides of an issue.

I'm American (with Italian ancestry)... I will always say that I'm American. I will live, bleed and die American... proudly.
But, I've never lived anywhere else for at least a few months, so I'm not going to start spouting off about how the U.S. is the greatest.

We ARE the greatest military power and we probably have more freedoms than every other country. But, there may be some small island nation where the economy is great, gas is 20 cents a gallon, there is no tax on auto or motorcycle purchases, healthcare is great, medicare is great, crime is low, jobs are plentiful, land is cheap, etc... You never know...

Ryan

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
xsnrg said:
Ryone, actually, you missed my point, which was between the two pieces you chopped out of my post.

"I hope you feel the same way about yours, but that is exactly how I feel about ours."
I didn't miss your point at all... I made it a point to leave "IMO" in your quote so that it wouldn't be mis-interpreted.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
pyro I can feel your arrogance come through your post.

Regarding the 2nd language thing, I can speak German and read French, Portuguese etc, because I have traveled outside the US and was lucky enough to have those experiences. If the people in Michigan spoke a different language than we do in ohio, I bet a lot of us Ohians would know their language and vive versa,.You have to remember the US is a huge, continent spanning country with one government , legal system and language. Europe is a collection of small states with different languages. And an inferiority complex, from the sound of it.

I have been to Sweden many times and while the country is nice I have my reservations about the government and it's role in the citizens lives.

So try not to get your education from a comedy show- I find it hard to believe you are that gullible.

Regardless of the technologies invented in Sweden, any country can make such claims- just about all developed nations have active invention and application of technology. We can give credit where credit is due, the Swedes make good cars , good steel ( used to make good guns) etc.

It is hard to generalize about Americans just as it would be hard to generalize about all Europeans.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
billtx said:
I'd like to have that in my living room. No oil in the gearbox of course..

You just have to wait- it'll be empty at some point :nener:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
brit yz125 said:
The UK invented the reason we're on DRN. We invented scrambling in the 1920's :moon: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Humble pie anyone? :nener:

scrambling is nowhere near as good as over-easy :think: imho

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Sorry about the quoting, not used to using it on here :).

Masterphil said:
No, nor do I ever care to, But I don't think too many other countries would tolerate carrying of firearms, although some places in this country don't either. (Illinois)
This is exactly what we're talking about. You've never seen another country yet you're quite happy to say the US is the greatest one out there, and more to the point you said "USA is awesome, Everyone else is not.". You thinking your country is great is fine by me, but saying that every other country is not "awesome"/great when you've never even visited ONE is the height of ignorance and pretty much epitomizes what I'm getting at! Is Amercia a great country? Sure it is. Are all other countries crap just because you think so? Eh, no; I think most countries have good sides and bad sides to them, but most seem to be great places, and if you went and visited a couple you might see this as well. I've been on holidays in Belgium, Holland, England, Luxembourg, France, Spain, Morocco and the US (last week :)) over the last couple of years and from what I saw (with the exception of Morocco for obvious reasons) none of them were amazingly "greater" places then the others.

Now you were saying about having the most freedoms, but you can't seem to list any besides the gun law, and as you said yourself that is patchy in the US as it is, and there's a fair percentage of people who class this as more of a menace then a freedom. So what are all these freedoms you've dreamed up? We have a lower legal drinking age then the US, is that a freedom that could potentially make us the greatest country in the world? In Holland you can legally take soft drugs, pretty big freedom there; are they the greatest country in the world?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
brit yz125 said:
It is the origin of mx though. You ever tried a 100ft double on a twin shock BSA? ;)

70 feet on a honda trail70 with frozen forks is an amazing feat if i do say so myself :coocoo: :ride:

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Well I read this whole thread and have done a lot of research, and based on the evidence there is only one thing keeping the UK and much of Europe from being the best................... Dentists!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
380EXCman said:
Well I read this whole thread and have done a lot of research, and based on the evidence there is only one thing keeping the UK and much of Europe from being the best................... Dentists!

thats funny right there i dont care who ya're :rotfl:

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
Who cares who invented what?

Unless I am the one that has invented it (and I'm not creative enough to do anything like that), why should it matter? I'm just happy I have it to use.

I am proud to live in America. Is America cocky? Of course we are. Is America full of morons? We have our fair share, but what country doesn't? I've heard a lot of Europeons are snobs, but that's just what I hear, and I'm smart enough to not judge an entire continent of people just from what I hear.

In the end, we're all one in the same, and we all put our pants/knickers/kilt on one leg at a time. Okay, you don't put your kilt on one leg at a time. :)

Group hug!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom