Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
Hey, I was just wondering what you guys do to prepare for Arenacross? Last year I had a lack of practice and skill and got my butt handed to me, but I wanna try and do decent this year. I plan on racing in Des Moines in Jan. in the 125C class. What type of practice, work-out, and bike set up do you guys do? Thanks in advance.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I'm no pro, but I've run my share of AX, so here's my $.02:

Bike:
-Slide forks up in clamps
-Move rear wheel as far forward as possible
-Add 2-3 teeth to rr sprocket
-Siffen suspension
-If the track's really tacky (i.e. you're wheelying really easy), add a couple pounds of air to your rr tire

Practice/Training:
-Train for short sprints. Short intense jump roping, sprints, etc.
-When riding, go hard for short bursts to work on speed and aggression
-As boomer said, practice STARTS
-If you don't have access to an AX/SX style track, shorten your outdoor practice track. Pick a few straights with jumps, and connect them with tight 180* turns.

In all reality, AX is about aggression and timing. Bike setup and fitness (while still important) play less of a role.

Good luck!

Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
Hey thanks for the tips, I really need to work on my starts. I've been doin the short burst thing on the track but I'll practice that more. What happens by moving the suspension up in the clamps?

Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
Oh, yeah I that would make sense then. So how much should I raise them up in the clamps? Also, would I need to do anything with the rear suspension then?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
That would be something you would want to experiment with (my KX250 worked best with 10mm but your bike and riding style may necessitate something else). I would recheck the sag since your moving the center of gravity forward (taking some weight off the rear).

Top Bottom