Jarda

Apr 22, 2002
Everytime I riding, I get strong arm pump. I can ride only few minutes and then I have to take a 5-10 minutes break. BUT, after one hour of this 'riding/breaking' arm pump disappear and I can ride without any problems. This '1h exercise' is very bad for racing, because arm pump still occurs in qualifying practice:-( => I cannot ride a full gas. Anyone can help me with this problem?

Jarda
YZ250 '00

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I've found the same thing but I fixed it by warming up and riding easy for that first 5 minutes to get the blood flowing. Don't ride so hard that you pump up or you will have to wait out that hour.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I also find that I can ride more relaxed after an hour or so. I suspect that it's because I am tired and just can't hang on as tight and the arm pump goes away.

Getting warmed up by doing push ups helps too.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
put lead into your handlebars to reduce vibration. also tighten your engine mount bolts. use thick/soft grips.
hold onto the bike more with your knees and less with your hands.
don't ride so fast that you terrify yourself and tighten up. I'd rather lose and have fun than win and not have fun.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
The best I've ever felt was riding the 3rd moto of the day. I had signed up for 2 classes, 1st class was the 1st race of the day and 2nd class was 10th race of the day. I was so excited because I had all those races between my motos to rest then reality set in. If I was the 1st race and the last race, that meant my last race of the 1st heat would be back to back for the1st race of my 2nd heat. The announcment was made there would be no intermission between the two sessions. I finished my 2nd moto and went straight to the starting gate where they were waiting on me. The gate dropped and I pulled a monster hole-shot. I was way out front until 2nd place passed me in a desperate move by jumping over the top of me in a step up. I thought he'd go down for sure but he managed to keep it upright. I held on for 2nd until the last lap when the guy behind me T-boned me in a turn. we both got up and I finished in 4th or 5th. After the race the guy that hit me said he was so pumped up from trying to keep up with me that he couldn't use his hands to pull his levers. He also said he couldn't believe that an "old guy" like me could do back to back motos and keep the pace. I'm not sure why but I wasn't even tired. I rode completely in control at a very fast pace for me and not once did I pump up. wish I could say the same now. :ugg:

AO Rider

May 3, 2003
I have just got into the sport of dirtbiking about a month ago and I ride everyday about 5 times and I never get arm pump its weird I can ride forevor without getting bothered by it. All Iv heard about it though is to rub the muscle before riding to get blood flowing, I've also heard that eating alot of oranges gets rid of it, and Ive heard doing excersises on that muscle helps too. But figure out what works for you.

Alix

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
just don't hold on so damm tight!! a very common mistake is holding on tight all the time, you need to know when to hold on tight example buy squezzing tight on braking bumps and then relaxing just a bit for the turn and then hold on tight on the whoops and then relaxing for a sec or two in the air while jumping, you would really be surprized how much a difference just relaxing for a second here and there several times a lap will make.

Jarda

Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by john stu
just don't hold on so damm tight!! a very common mistake is holding on tight all the time, you need to know when to hold on tight example buy squezzing tight on braking bumps and then relaxing just a bit for the turn and then hold on tight on the whoops and then relaxing for a sec or two in the air while jumping, you would really be surprized how much a difference just relaxing for a second here and there several times a lap will make.
John stu - I would like to this. But I cannot because my bike is not fully under control. Looks like I'm sitting on the bike first time. After one hour is everything under control and I can relax during moto. I tried stretching before ride, but no success. Maybe improving blood flow (jogging, bicycle..) before ride can help. I will try it this weekend and tell the result.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I have found gripper seats to ease arm pump problems.

The death grip on the bars often occurs because your body is being pushed back during acceleration. The gripper seat eleviates this by holding your legs in position on the bike. The same is true while seated.
Basically you stop holding yourself on the bike with your arms and start to use your legs.
Also I hope you are not using armor all on your seat cover. That makes it really slick.

Top Bottom