Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Some people get it, some dont. Somtimes I get it, sometimes I dont. Sqeezing the bars too hard? I can ride in the woods for hours and not get it, put me on an MX track, in two laps I get it so bad the tops of my hands are bulging. What are some of the techniques for reducing it. Feels like I'm sqeezing too much between my hand and my thumb. I know this subject has probly been gone through at least a zillion time before, I would like to hear some of the remedies.

------------------
Faster Bikes, Younger Women, & Older Whiskey
AMA
BRC

problmpc

Jun 16, 2000
What i do is try to loosen up on the grip, and keep a tight grip with your legs on the bike . . Other than that , being in shape helps and having strong arms from riding alot helps out . .

Jeffro

Martinm2

Aug 20, 2000
I used to get it, then I started riding more often. Getting your arms into shape helps me, but one of my friends swears by some type of "arm pump" powder product that you can mix into a drink before a race.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Magic dust....ay? I'v heard that asprin works by thinning the blood for better curculation to the arms and hands. I think there must be some mental exercises/habits to keep from sqeezing the bars too much. Come on Donnie, what do the pros do, aside from surgery.

JPrelude

Apr 17, 2000
I think that just riding mx a lot is the best thing to cure arm pump. I can ride woods for hours without getting but just like most get it after doing 2 laps of mx.

jamsxr

Dec 4, 1999
My theory is that the blood pools in your arms when the muscle pumps up like they do when lifting weights, they swell up and constrict the blood vessels until the cells are maxxed out and no fresh oxygenated blood can replenish the cells and then you have the weakening feeling where you can't hold on any more.
I try to concentrate on breathing and wiggle fingers to stimulate circulation.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Thats a good one Jamsxr, when woods riding, and going down a hill, I open my hands, and that seems to help alot. Little things like these go a long way!

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
make sure that your gloves aren't the culprit. sometimes those tight cool looking gloves can be restrictive. never over tighten the velcro on those gloves.
eat a banana on the day before hell eat a bunch. the asprin kick is what i do it works. but since i quit smoking I haven't had the arm pump problem as much.
main thing is to RELAX, and take your hand off or like someone said wiggle your fingers.
also during the week driving down the road bend your fingers back, to stretch out, then grip that steering wheel hard as haties for like 5 minutes. get used to "pumping" your forearms up, then it will take more to get to that point on riding or race day.

wardy

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Nicotine will cause blood vessels to constrict and harden, they lose their ability to stretch out when a larger volume for blood is needed.
Two years ago I gave up a 28 year habit :D, 18 of cigarettes and 10 of Copehagen.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
All good points guys, Its a matter of training one self, (myself) to remember these things and pratice them so they become instintive. I am a block mason by trade. so the muscle mass is not a problem, and Ive been riding dirt bikes most of my 40 years, so Im not new at this. Restrictive blood flow is the culprit here. Training myself to release tension around the bars,(hands) holding on more with my legs, and wiggling my fingers during decel are things that I will work on. Thats gotta help. Oh Yea, and Wardy's bringing the bananas & asprin! Thankx Guys!

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I think your right Okie, alot of it is in the head, unconsciously, I'm holding on to the bars alot tighter than I need to. Loosening up, relaxing, and being comfortable will definatly help.
Roost On!
Cool Icon Okie!

John 300 EXC

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2000
Shaw520, Is the 520 a KTM, how hard is the clutch pull, and is vibration a problem? Just curious as I am waiting on a 520 EXC.
BTW: Aspirin is not a bloodthinner, it is an anti-platelet agent, Coumadin acts by inhibiting formation of clotting factors. Neither of these drugs will increase blood flow (except on the ground)or reduce arm pump but both will interfere in your body's attempt to form a blood clot. Not what a motorcycle rider needs!
The best explanation I have seen for arm pump, is inadequate oxygen supply to a muscle bed and resultant anaerobic metabolism and lactic acid build up. Arm pump is worse before we have completely warmed up with increased heart rate and cardiac output, and dilated our muscle bed. This means a good sweat, not just jumping up and down a few times. After the initial arm pump, it usually goes away for the rest of the ride. By then we have relaxed the death grip on the handlebars and the heart, lungs and muscles are warmed up and working efficiently. I would be very surprised if there is a powder mix which would help.

DIRT TOOYH

Aug 17, 2000
Try a scotts stering damper.. It will make the bike more stable and there for you won't need the DEATH GRIP..

Those old muscle man grip things are a good work out for your forarms, I keep one in my truck. After squeezing it several 100 times I then see how long I can hold it close..

Thanks,
Jeff

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
John 300, Yes the 520 is a KTM ex/c, it comes equipted with a Magura Hydralic clutch, its like pulling the clutch on a 50cc by comparison. One finger engagement, not a problem, but I use two. I feel this is the best offroad dirtbike available. I love this machine, and I'm sure you will too. Good luck with your new ride.

thebray

Jul 21, 2000
I had a arm pump problem on my 125.When I got a YZ400 the arm pump was non existant.I couldnt figure it out because the 400 is heavier.
Some local fast guys told me that arm pump is mental and your just more comfortable on the 400.
As a goof,I put on a heart rate mointor I have (from bicycling) and rode both bikes hard for equal laps.My rate was about 40-60 beats per minute higher on the 125.
I don't know if this really proves much but I think it takes less concentration to go fast on the bigger bike.
I do know for a fact that double jumps are a lot closer together on the 400!!! :)

[This message has been edited by thebray (edited 09-30-2000).]

Top Bottom