johnnyair

Mar 30, 2009
I was wondering if any one has some good arm workout routines to help combat this ? I have got some feed back from another site with some really good sites thick grip training (power training stuff) from a place called FATGRIPZ some awsome upper body building tips I jacked my thumb awhile back trying to avoid a repeat :bang: some guys were saying it is mostly technique but I think strength sure can help out, gives you that confidence to relax when you ride

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, technique really is the key. If you ride with a tight grip, you'll get arm pump even if you are strong.

Not sure about products, but one of the best things you can do for arm pump is train yourself not to grip the bars tightly.

Riding with a loose grip does not come naturally, so you have to think about it at first. It eventually becomes second nature.

Think about it this way: For the bars to move, one end has to go forward away from the rider and one bar end has to come back toward the rider.

Keep control by using your arm on the side that is coming back toward the rider to push away the bar. You can do this with a very light grip. In fact, with your hand in a loose 'C' around the bar, you can easily push the bar back toward straight, or keep the bars in position.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Another factor is breathing.

Lack of oxygen in the blood causes your arms to pump. I have to wear the stupid strips on my nose, and constantly remind myself to breathe while riding.

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
I am going to try those breathe right strips too or as indy would say stupid strips. Cardio strength is just as important as muscle strength to fight the damn arm pump

johnnyair

Mar 30, 2009
Thanks for the input I'll give it a try seems that I start to grab on tighter as the arms get more tired loosing concentration as I try harder to think about hanging on compounding the problem LOL I think I 'll try those strips (where can you get them)as well as the thick gripz (even if I don't need the extra strength the Fatgripz will make my arms big and the chics love that right LOL) let you know how it works Thanks !

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
If you ride with a tight grip, you'll get arm pump even if you are strong.
For sure ... the bigger your forearms, the more you are likely to get it ie; same grip/riding tight You don't see any big & ripped Pro MX'ers do ya? :p

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
Actually I found strengthening your legs and waist is better for armpump than working out your arms. Then it's like practice at a slower and more comfortable pace where you can ride totally relaxed and smooth (not the best for showing off for your friends because you'll look and sound slower than normal) and not get armpump until you're really winded other than going full tilt and riding tight at a slightly uncomfortable pace and rebuild your speed with maintaining being relaxed and smooth.

One guy I know he actually sounds fast by overly slipping the clutch in the corners, on the rev limiter all the time.... then burned out after two laps and pulling over while I look and sound like I'm putting around and still beating him and easily burning laps while he rests and restarts five times while I'm still not getting armpump and just a little winded, lol.

So I would say strengthen your legs so you don't have to rely on your arms as much and practice at a slower pace than you normally ride and rebuild your normal speed from riding smooth and relaxed.

RicorSHX

Apr 14, 2009
johnnyair said:
I was wondering if any one has some good arm workout routines to help combat this ? I have got some feed back from another site with some really good sites thick grip training (power training stuff) from a place called FATGRIPZ some awsome upper body building tips I jacked my thumb awhile back trying to avoid a repeat :bang: some guys were saying it is mostly technique but I think strength sure can help out, gives you that confidence to relax when you ride

Sounds too good to be true, but a few months ago we stumbled on a solution for the arm pump problem, seriously. I developed an anti vibration part that works like a tuning fork inside the handlebars. It stops the bar from vibrating freely at it's resonant frequency. Our test instruments showed an 80% drop in the vibration level. We found by accident that EVERY racer who uses them either has no arm pump/tingling/ numbness at all or it's reduced to the point it's not a problem.

The arm pump to vibration connection is called, 'tonic vibration reflex'.

I named this little 'jewel', the Vibranator

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
redneckbillybob said:
when i used to ride track alot...i got arm pump really bad. I was told to try and steer the bike with your legs rather than your arms.

So your hands would have to go on the foot pegs in a situation like that? :nener: :rotfl:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
IMO, squeezing the bike with your legs to relax your arms is huge. Riding often helps too... more riding time/practice time creates confidence and less death grip.
I also stretch out my forearms before riding but while seated on bike. Place finger tips on grips w/ wrists pointed to ground and push (pulling fingers/hand back, over the top.) I do this for about 30 seconds for each arm before riding and it helps a bunch.

RicorSHX

Apr 14, 2009
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
IMO, squeezing the bike with your legs to relax your arms is huge. Riding often helps too... more riding time/practice time creates confidence and less death grip.
I also stretch out my forearms before riding but while seated on bike. Place finger tips on grips w/ wrists pointed to ground and push (pulling fingers/hand back, over the top.) I do this for about 30 seconds for each arm before riding and it helps a bunch.

ARM PUMP is caused by TONIC VIBRATION REFLEX, I'd post the Wikipedia link for it but this forum won't allow it. I can prove it by reducing the the handlebar buzz that makes the muscles involuntarily fire at the same frequency as the input. No buzz= no arm pump! The unnecessary muscle fatigue causes lactic acid buildup, lactic acid causes numbness. Unless your bars have something stopping them from resonating at their resonant frequency, you will get TONIC VIBRATION REFLEX.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
^^^Thank you^^^
So I would imagine that holding a "buzzing" bar lightly passes less vibration to the arms than a "hang-on-for-dear-life" grip.
Same end result... huh?

RicorSHX

Apr 14, 2009
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
^^^Thank you^^^
So I would imagine that holding a "buzzing" bar lightly passes less vibration to the arms than a "hang-on-for-dear-life" grip.
Same end result... huh?

Kill the buzz and hang on to it anyway you want.

Last summer I was riding my XR650 and was tired of the handlebar buzz. I was aware of how helicopter mfg's fixed the rotorhead vibration problem. I designed a part that operates on the same principles but able to fit a handlebar end. I was hoping for a 50% drop in vibration. When it made it where I couldn't feel the vibration, we put a vibration meter on it. We got an 80% drop. Time to patent it and start a company.

I have a size that fits in Pro Taper bars. A local top racer was going to retire from racing due to extreme arm pump. He had the surgery. He tried them because anything would probably help. 1st race, no arm pump, numbness, tingling, none zip. We gave them to his friends, same result. Everyone who uses them say they work. Kill the buzz, arm pump's gone. Too good to be true but it is. Bottom line, arm pump problem solved.

The reason I'm aware of the helicopter technology is that I was able to buy a helicopter with the royalties I got from a Suzuki rear suspension I licensed to them in the early '90's.
Patent number: RE34897, Patent number: 3907332

Last edited:
Top Bottom