Arm Pump

bud

Besides seat time and exercise, I noticed something similar to what "Crazy"Ted describes. When I've picked up my old gloves by mistake, I often get pain in my right arm. My old gloves seem to have shrunk with age. I also found that my left arm hurt more when I wear a watch.. maybe if I rode completely naked I wouldn't get any arm pump at all? It's 100 degrees here today, so I'll let ya's know
<p align=right>02-03-2000 :Edited

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
First and formost learn to RELAX and concentrate on that, your getting arm pump because for what ever reason you are over gripping.

also what usually happens is that if you pump the arms up real good like in practice or early in the day then take a break and let them set a while, then go back and ride it usually will be tolerable the rest of the day.

wardy

course you can do what i do and throw away the gloves but i don't recommend that to anyone

gp

I use the weight on a rope. Take a large dowel rod or broom handle and drill a hole large enough for a rope to pass through it. Tie a weight to the other end and twist the dowel lifting the weight, twist it palms down and palms up. I also do wrist curls, with a dumbell and arms to your side, palms facing inward. Twist your wrist inward, like turning off the throttle and then outward. Remember light weight and more reps. I usually do three sets of fifteen. This seems to work for me but, I do still get some arm pump when I'm real nervous.

Exercise daily , fingers , wrists , forearms .. broomhandle rope and weight , about 5 lbs. Lots of reps . Up and down ... riding lots of different bikes helps me .... different bar set up is the key here . Not all bikes are the same .. working for a dealer , setting up and test riding is where I learned this ,, Also having lots of bikes is helpful ..... Sometimes softer grips , Lots of oranges , bananas , fruit juices , lots of water ....

I remember reading an article in a motocross rag many, many moons ago about Geoff Ward experiencing arm pump. He ate bananas on race day & claimed it helped.

RM_guy

Moderator /
Damn Yankees
I used to get arm pump, or so I thought. Turns out I had carpel tunnel in both wrist. Got that fixed and never had “arm pump “ again! Not saying arm pump isn’t real, a buddy of mine deals with it all the time.