a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Sounds like we have a grreat ride on the horizon with good people again. I've never been there myself so I'll be happy to run sweep if that's OK! We can do a roll call by mid next week so we have an idea about the turnout. Cya

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
It'd be cool if someone could post a Trail map. I still have the one from our last ride up there but it doesn't go to silverwood. And I'm not having any luck with teh forest service online. I'm still in with or without the map. It's more a curiosity thing. :cool:

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Scar,
Good news bad news.
I have a map of the area, but I`m computer illiterate. Another words I ain`t got the faintest idea of how to post it. I can take it to work and make a couple of copys for everyone

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Got Map, will send

I've got a USFS map of all those trails (Baldy Mesa, Arrowhead, Big Bear) but don't do internet postings of attachments (job thing). If anyone or as many of you would e-mail me your snail-mail stats, I'll copy it & send it off immediately. Or if any of you work near the Org. Co. airport, I'll drop off a copy @ your work place.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
placelast,

thanks. :cool:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I've also got a copy, and I'm like Oldandslo--post illiterate.I can scan some copies to bring with me if needed.
I'll probably meet up with you guys at Mickey D's, as it's not too far out of the way!

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
FYI, my buddy with the quad is out. so thanks for checking on that, but we'll be 2 wheels only as usual. see you then.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
I should've chimed in sooner -

Wish I could make it but the 13th is a drill weekend for me:( . Any other time would work but it sounds like you guys already have a plan in place.

I'm sure we'll hook up again before too long. Great ride at Phelan. That's a cool area.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Sorry you won't be able to make this one Jack. It was a pleasure riding with you at Phelan. Hope to see you at the next one!:)

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
How far to staging area?

I got on my computers map making program and calculated time/distance to Miller Cyn. I'm 22 minutes from Micky Ds', and it should take all that meet there an additional 32 minutes (approx.) to reach Miller Cyn. That should help you all calculate your total approximate travel time.
So if we leave MDs' by 7:30, we should be staging around 8ish.
Be sure to bring enough gas to ride 2 or 3 tanks, as once you see the area you'll want to do several loops! And don't forget--Adventure passes for your haulers.
P.S.-The weather here in the Hi Dez the last 2 days, (and going in to next week according to weather sources) has been very cool in the mornings, and breezy throughout the day. Since it's generally 5 to 10 degrees cooler up on the mountain, sweatshirts may be in order in the A.M.(Highs around 77 here in the Dez!)

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Anyone planning on making a weekend of it ? I've got the following Monday off so I for one would be up for Saturday and Sunday.

Anyone else up for this ?

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Didn't make it past Deep Creek last week due to some problems. Not planning to ride to Silverwood this weekend, but we should be at Deep Creek around 10:00am and hang out to see if anyone shows and wants to do Malcolm Smith uphill. Came down it last weekend and ate it good (left chest protector imprints on my shoulder). Should heal by the weekend. Hope the timing works out, if not, have fun!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Goat-I'm not much of a map reader, but it looks to me that there may be one possible G.S. legal rout from Silverwood to T-6. We may be able to cruise over and sat howdy, but several in our group will be sporting MX bikes, so fuel may be an issue. Looks to be roughly 12-15 miles from our stage area to T-6. I know much of it will be 2nd/3rd gear stuff.
Sorry you guys can't join us. Hope to be back up your way later this year.
ktmboy.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Deep Creek is awesome !!! Great place to cool off !! And Malcolm smith uphill is hella fun ! If we can meet the Goat we should - it'll be worth it.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Eel, I'm all for it, as long as I only burn a quarter tank to get to Deep Creek. That would make for a real nice long, loop. We'll probably lose half our group at the T-6 crossing though.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
USGS finally updated their quadrangle maps and now include forestry trail designations (should be great for those who use mapping GPS). Anyway, I picked up the new maps covering the Silverwood and Arrowhead areas. Post back if you need me to identify the trails connecting Miller to Deep Creek. I've never done it and wasn't sure if you had. Appears there's a fire road connection and maybe a trail as well.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Mtn. Goat,I have been to Deep Creek a few times via Silverwood Lake. Also have the maps from the ranger station. What would help is the mileage from Deep creek to Malcolm Smith. That way we can figure out if or who can make it. Or maybe we can haul some fuel to Deep Creek if needed. Thanx, can`t wait till Sat.

Eel, I won`t be camping but I might be able to ride Monday.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
My fellow DRN brothers, this is not normal for me but I have to bow out of this ride. Unfortunately, I lost a friend to cancer day before yesterday and I have a funeral to attend on Saturday. I'm sorry to do this and it won't happen again so please bear with me. I am planning a mid week ride next week possibly, to clear the mind. I'll post it if it's a go. Enjoy the ride and think of me and jr. while you tear up the trails. Thanks

Elk

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Thumbs-- go to Big 5 sporting goods and pick one up before Saturday, that way you have it. I've never had a problem getting one there. I'll probably go get mine tomorrow night.
Elk- I had a feeling you would be bowing out after seeing your post elsewhere. Some things are more important than riding I'm afraid, and you're obviously a man that has his priorities in order. I'm sure we can do Phelan again soon, or maybe everyone will want to do another Arrowhead run real soon after they see how awesome it is up there. Take care!:(

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Tentative list:

Here's a tentative list of riders for Sat.--please feel free to add or delete your name(s). Meet at MickyD's at the 15/138 junction at 7(ish), leave for Miller Cyn. by 7:30.

RMjeff
oldandslo
scar tissue
thumbs
the Eel
mxbundy
ktmboy

I guess we'll just have to check gas at deep creek to see if the long loop is in order. From mtngoats' posts, I'm guessing the trip from Miller Cyn. to Big Pine and back is roughly 60 miles round trip. Deep Creek round trip should be roughly half that.:cool:

Top Bottom