oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Elk, Sorry about your friend. You`re a real standup guy. The riding areas should still be around for next time.

I just checked out the maps and trails. You are right KTM, About 15 miles from trailhead to Deep Creek. 14 miles to the end of Malcolm Smith(thanx Mtn. Goat) Adds up to about 60 miles round trip. The farthest I have gone is 60 miles. I never went to reserve, so I should be good to go. I don`t know how far you 2 strokers can go.

There is about 6 miles of fire road. This is where a network of trails begin.

See ya Sat.

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
Thanks to Old'n Slo for the invite. I can make it. It is a long drive for me and the area is new, however I can find Miller. C Ya-all Saturday!

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Yes - just say "YES" to big loops. I can probably do just about do 60 miles on a tank - at I think so. Hopefully we'll find out ...

I'll ante up and volunteer to carry extra gas - any others ?

Old'n'Slo - if I don't stay thru Sunday howzabout Gorman on Monday ? Forest action ?

Mr. Elk - my condolences. Take care of the important stuff and we'll see you soon. Remember there's a better place somewhere out there ...

Last edited:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
My odo cable is gone, so I haven't been able to check mileage lately, but I've done a 70 mile loop before with between 1/2 to 1 gallon left, so if the fuel looks good at Deep Creek I'm game. I love the longer loops!:)
Rogue, I hope you can make it---very tight and technical--just your cup of tea! Are you coming through Palmdale? I believe that's your fastest route.14 frwy. to 138 all the way to Miller Cyn. The McDonalds we're meeting at is just past the 15 freeway to the right of 138 if you'd like to meet us there. Takes about 45 minutes to get to Palmdale from Santa Clarita, and about an hour from Palmdale to the MickyDees. Hope this helps!:cool:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by the Eel
Yes - just say "YES" to big loops. I can probably do just about do 60 miles on a tank - at I think so. Hopefully we'll find out ...

Dang it.... I was hoping to avoid the putting on the bigger tank.... Well it at least it will be worth the effort.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by the Eel
I can probably do just about do 60 miles on a tank - at I think so. Hopefully we'll find out ......

No doubt that you will find out........hopefully it will be enough.

Is that 60 miles with or without the extra gas can on your bars? I think I can get about 40-45 miles on a tank if I don't ride to hard.

What is the expected temps and elevation..........I want to get my jetting tuned in...anyone?.....anyone?

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
My map states that the trails range from 3500' to7000'. Temps here in the Hi Dez have been 80-90 degrees. Expect 5-10 degrees cooler up there.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
Jeff---glad to see you decided to go with the big tank! It's gonna be a blast!:D

Better safe than sorry. The one thing I wont be touching is the jetting. The bike ran strong and clean yesterday in Corona but will be a little smokey up in the mountains. Unfortunately I dont know enough about jetting to switch for different areas.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
My map states that the trails range from 3500' to7000'. Temps here in the Hi Dez have been 80-90 degrees. Expect 5-10 degrees cooler up there.
Looks like with these elevation changes I'll only have to rejet twice:eek:

Thank you Mr. ktmboy.

BTW - Digger Dave might join us in the carnage.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
OKay

I suck when it comes to remembering names.

Did we go through Big Pine on the last group ride by Malcolm Smith?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
110 miles on one tank!! Gotta love four strokes. Of course that range is in theory. All I know for sure is @ Kennedy meadows when the YZ250's (Kip) and CR125" s (Thumbs) Were outta gas on the side of the trail my KLX340 still had 1/2 a tank. :)

See you guys there.

Hey Elk was the one who wanted to meet at the crack of dawn, since he's out, are we still meeting out there @ 700AM? :scream: I mean first is was 8 then 7:30 now 7. I need my beauty sleep.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Jeff---Big Pine was where we staged on the last Big Bear ride, and that's where Malcolm Smith started. If you remember, after a short uphill run it was all downhill until we hit the fire-road where we were supposed to meet the 'B' riders. We'll be coming in from Deep Creek, uphill on the jeep trail where we'll catch Malcolm Smith going up this time. We can probably take the fire-road back down to save time/fuel on the return loop.
As far as re-jetting, just bring some extra oil, and if the bike is way too rich, add some oil to your tank. This will lean out your fuel mixture.
DiggerDave--look forward to seeing you! Were you at Big Bear?
I'm getting totally amped about this ride. I'll be loading the bike up in the trailer tomorrow, and stashing it in the garage.I still plan to be at MDs' at 7:00. See whoever shows there then!:cool:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by scar tissue
I need my beauty sleep.
Aint that the truth:p

ktmboy - Digger Dave is my buddy that has only been on one of our group rides. He was the guy on the 00' YZ125 that took a digger in the first 5 minutes of our ride at Gorman in March. That is how he got or rather why I gave him the name "Digger Dave".

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Don Santero - I think 60 miles would only be possible with my fugly Acerbis number plate tank. Otherwise - fuhgedaboutit.

By the way - how you doin' ?

:cool:

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
My best guess is you guys should be at Deep Creek at around 10:00. I'll plan on being there. If we pass on the trail, I'm riding a white XR400 with a chrome helmet. I should be with 1 or 2 other riders, also on XR400s.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
We'll look for you. Is that 'Stuntman Dave' that you were talking about in your earlier post? I sure would like to follow him up Ballbuster!:p I only get to hear about all his exploits---I'd love to be an eye witness.:eek:

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
Food poisoning. Sorry to stand you up. Late Friday night and this Saturday I am too ill to leave the house. Darn, I was fine riding earlier on Friday for a ride much less interesting than the one at Miller. God willing I will riding on Sunday and Monday. Any of you riding then?

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Rogue- You missed a good one! Keep watching the ride posts, as we'll definately be going back before the first snows.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Sorry guys. Stuntman Dave has a new love in his life and is trying to sort out date/ride priorities. He was supposed to pick up my repaired pipe and didn't show. And I promised my wife "no solo rides" after my last solo disaster. And the kids wanted us to watch the grandbaby. Excuses, excuses.. Hope it was fun.

Top Bottom