Votes: 30 23.3%
  • Yes, but it's not bad

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • No, but I'm sure I will in few years from past injuries

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • No, no worries here!

Votes: 36 27.9%

• Total voters
Anyone here have the fun thing they call arthritis?

I have it in my right shoulder from a wrestling. I had a progressive injury where the ligaments became stretched out over time, the result?

One shoulder that would not stay in place, a cartilidge capsule that decided to migrate from its God-given place, random arm numbness, and the glorious feeling of bones clacking together.

One shoulder reconstruction and nearly 2 years later, I can definately feel the weather fluctuations and the rain.

Luckily, it's not a frequent pain and a couple Aleve usually do the trick. I was on Vioxx for a while, but as everyone knows, it's gone bye bye.

So who else is unlucky?

tx246

Subscriber
an earlier trip to the er confirmed it. while looking for broken leg/ankle bones on the xrays, the doctor casually asks me if i had trouble walking in my daily life. i said no. he replied "you will someday". he then pointed out the "arthritis" in my ankle as the fuzzy white haze in and around my joints. good news was that there wasnt any broken bones but the bad news was i ruptured my achilles.....damn.

more recently i was in the er for goofy (aka very painful) kidney stones. while looking at xrays of my kidneys, i noticed my hips were eat up with it too. the doctor concurred. im 40, and i dont feel it now. hopefully i can report the same in 25 years.

I feel ya. I'm 19 years old and there are times when my shoulder aches so bad I can't sleep.

I'm sure it'll feel wonderful when I'm 60.

Reesknight

Subscriber
Yup, ruptured disk from MX a few years back has set up arthritis. Its the reason I had to sell the YZ and buy a Vstar. Two aleve per day to keep it from getting so stiff. I still love this forum tho as its the best on the net! :cool:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
I don't have arthritis yet, but I've twisted my ankle many times while getting up from the couch to get another beer. :) I'm sure all that straining is gonna catch up with me soon.

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

Ill probly have it when Im older in my right ankle. I broke my leg right above the ankle a cuple years ago and the doctor suggested it may bother me when Im older.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
I don't have it to bad yet, but my 11 year old son has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. He's had it since he was 6, he can still do just about whatever he wants, he just pays for it the next day, like a old man does. Or, like his old man does I should say.

I'm really sorry to hear about your son having that, it's definately a shame.

A close family friend of ours, his son has rheumatoid arthritis very badly, bad enough that he could barely get around. What helped him out tremendously was taking up martial arts. Last I heard he still struggles with his hands, but the difference is like night and day.

I'm suprised we don't have any honory degree receipients.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
One of my best friends started getting arthritis at about 22, started in his fingers.. Now at 38, has it throughout his body.. It is psyoriac athritis.. He moved out of the SF Bay area due too the cold air that has moisture too the warm dry climate of Arizona.. .. During the summer he is fine, when the temps drop is when it flares up.. I wish there was a cure, and be careful of the medicines you take.. Some have some serious side effects..

Mully

AssClown SuperPowers
Yes, I have it bad in my left knee. Hyper-extended my knee in 1989 at the Turkey Creek Enduro, New Paris, Indiana.

Doc said I would be fine, not to worry, no surgury or clean up needed. Three years ago the Doc (ortho doc this time) said I should have had corrective surgury then. Now I am having trouble, and knee replacement is the only way to correct it. Doc said I was basically near bone on bone. Aleve works wonders, but is not a cure all. I really hate taking some of those medicines. Vioux worked like magic, but we all know where that one went. Physical Therapist has me doing special excersises to strengthen the muscles that support the knee. Hopefully this will get me out a few more years before I get the knee done. I am thinking 55 or older. The aches and pains come and go, I can be fine for several months then it swells up again and I have trouble for a month.

Do yourselves a big favor. If you have that crash that twists, bends, etc, go see a good doctor. Then get a second opinion. and a third if you have too. Be positive about what is going on before you just leave it be.

Mully

I was diagnosed with a painfull form of arthritis in my early teen's that was based in my feet and knees. I spent several years going to different doctors and trying all the med's available. I even had one doc tell my parents that I would be in a wheel chair by the time I was in my mid twenties. I finally got hooked up with a good rheumatologist who properly diagnosed me and with the proper treatment, I was able to manage the disease. I was really pissed at the doctor who gave me the "death sentence" and for a few years, I would send his office a picture with a note. One of my favorites was being on the podium of the 1995 Baja 1000 after winning our class. Another fav was standing on top of Mt. Whitney after backpacking 125 miles the John Muir Trail. My suggestion to anyone who has this disease is to learn as much about it as you can and stay active. Today, I am 43 years old and have been off the meds for about 13 years. I still get a few aches and pains every now and then, but nothing compared to what I went through. I feel for anyone who has to deal with the pain that this disease causes.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
Mi. Trail Riders
I have it in my right wrist, due to a severe hyperextention snowboarding 4 years ago. Then I re-injured it several times after that. After a lot of riding it kinda locks up on me.
Also my right knee is starting to develop a little. That was due to a streetbike accident two years ago. Side swiped by a car. Tore the meniscus which was taken almost completely out. A lot of cartiledge was also removed because it was torn so bad.

Mully said:
Yes, I have it bad in my left knee. Hyper-extended my knee in 1989 at the Turkey Creek Enduro, New Paris, Indiana.

Doc said I would be fine, not to worry, no surgury or clean up needed. Three years ago the Doc (ortho doc this time) said I should have had corrective surgury then. Now I am having trouble, and knee replacement is the only way to correct it. Doc said I was basically near bone on bone. Aleve works wonders, but is not a cure all. I really hate taking some of those medicines. Vioux worked like magic, but we all know where that one went. Physical Therapist has me doing special excersises to strengthen the muscles that support the knee. Hopefully this will get me out a few more years before I get the knee done. I am thinking 55 or older. The aches and pains come and go, I can be fine for several months then it swells up again and I have trouble for a month.

Do yourselves a big favor. If you have that crash that twists, bends, etc, go see a good doctor. Then get a second opinion. and a third if you have too. Be positive about what is going on before you just leave it be.

Mully

My step-dad just had his knee replaced around a year or so ago at the age of 58 I believe. He was bone on bone and had severe arthritis.

His knee is great now, he's having the other one done eventually. He has to take a break between the two, he said it was extremely painful. :bang:

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
AssistSuper said:
I'm really sorry to hear about your son having that, it's definately a shame.

A close family friend of ours, his son has rheumatoid arthritis very badly, bad enough that he could barely get around. What helped him out tremendously was taking up martial arts. Last I heard he still struggles with his hands, but the difference is like night and day.

I'm suprised we don't have any honory degree receipients.

As a father I couldn't be more proud of him by the way he has handled it, he never complains, never missing any type of a event even if he was hurting.
He has also taken up martial arts to help keep him "loose" you could say. And like Tim said, with the right Drs and treatment he is able to stay active.

Wraith said:
As a father I couldn't be more proud of him by the way he has handled it, he never complains, never missing any type of a event even if he was hurting.
He has also taken up martial arts to help keep him "loose" you could say.
Wraith,
Glad to hear that your son is not letting Arthritis control his life. One of the things I should have added to my post was that having a good positive attitude and support from family and friends goes a long way. BTW- One of the best forms of therapy for me is using a Hot Tub to ease the aches and pains. In our state with a Dr's. Prescrition, it's tax deductable.