Votes: 40 31.0%
  • No, but I'm sure I will in few years from past injuries

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • No, no worries here!

Votes: 36 27.9%

• Total voters

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
Anyone here have the fun thing they call arthritis?

I have it in my right shoulder from a wrestling. I had a progressive injury where the ligaments became stretched out over time, the result?

One shoulder that would not stay in place, a cartilidge capsule that decided to migrate from its God-given place, random arm numbness, and the glorious feeling of bones clacking together.

One shoulder reconstruction and nearly 2 years later, I can definately feel the weather fluctuations and the rain.

Luckily, it's not a frequent pain and a couple Aleve usually do the trick. I was on Vioxx for a while, but as everyone knows, it's gone bye bye.

So who else is unlucky?

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
an earlier trip to the er confirmed it. while looking for broken leg/ankle bones on the xrays, the doctor casually asks me if i had trouble walking in my daily life. i said no. he replied "you will someday". he then pointed out the "arthritis" in my ankle as the fuzzy white haze in and around my joints. good news was that there wasnt any broken bones but the bad news was i ruptured my achilles.....damn.

more recently i was in the er for goofy (aka very painful) kidney stones. while looking at xrays of my kidneys, i noticed my hips were eat up with it too. the doctor concurred. im 40, and i dont feel it now. hopefully i can report the same in 25 years.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
I feel ya. I'm 19 years old and there are times when my shoulder aches so bad I can't sleep.

I'm sure it'll feel wonderful when I'm 60.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Yup, ruptured disk from MX a few years back has set up arthritis. Its the reason I had to sell the YZ and buy a Vstar. Two aleve per day to keep it from getting so stiff. I still love this forum tho as its the best on the net! :cool:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I don't have arthritis yet, but I've twisted my ankle many times while getting up from the couch to get another beer. :) I'm sure all that straining is gonna catch up with me soon.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Ill probly have it when Im older in my right ankle. I broke my leg right above the ankle a cuple years ago and the doctor suggested it may bother me when Im older.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I don't have it to bad yet, but my 11 year old son has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. He's had it since he was 6, he can still do just about whatever he wants, he just pays for it the next day, like a old man does. Or, like his old man does I should say.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
I'm really sorry to hear about your son having that, it's definately a shame.

A close family friend of ours, his son has rheumatoid arthritis very badly, bad enough that he could barely get around. What helped him out tremendously was taking up martial arts. Last I heard he still struggles with his hands, but the difference is like night and day.

I'm suprised we don't have any honory degree receipients.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
One of my best friends started getting arthritis at about 22, started in his fingers.. Now at 38, has it throughout his body.. It is psyoriac athritis.. He moved out of the SF Bay area due too the cold air that has moisture too the warm dry climate of Arizona.. .. During the summer he is fine, when the temps drop is when it flares up.. I wish there was a cure, and be careful of the medicines you take.. Some have some serious side effects..

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Yes, I have it bad in my left knee. Hyper-extended my knee in 1989 at the Turkey Creek Enduro, New Paris, Indiana.

Doc said I would be fine, not to worry, no surgury or clean up needed. Three years ago the Doc (ortho doc this time) said I should have had corrective surgury then. Now I am having trouble, and knee replacement is the only way to correct it. Doc said I was basically near bone on bone. Aleve works wonders, but is not a cure all. I really hate taking some of those medicines. Vioux worked like magic, but we all know where that one went. Physical Therapist has me doing special excersises to strengthen the muscles that support the knee. Hopefully this will get me out a few more years before I get the knee done. I am thinking 55 or older. The aches and pains come and go, I can be fine for several months then it swells up again and I have trouble for a month.

Do yourselves a big favor. If you have that crash that twists, bends, etc, go see a good doctor. Then get a second opinion. and a third if you have too. Be positive about what is going on before you just leave it be.

Mully

TemeculaTim

Feb 2, 2005
I was diagnosed with a painfull form of arthritis in my early teen's that was based in my feet and knees. I spent several years going to different doctors and trying all the med's available. I even had one doc tell my parents that I would be in a wheel chair by the time I was in my mid twenties. I finally got hooked up with a good rheumatologist who properly diagnosed me and with the proper treatment, I was able to manage the disease. I was really pissed at the doctor who gave me the "death sentence" and for a few years, I would send his office a picture with a note. One of my favorites was being on the podium of the 1995 Baja 1000 after winning our class. Another fav was standing on top of Mt. Whitney after backpacking 125 miles the John Muir Trail. My suggestion to anyone who has this disease is to learn as much about it as you can and stay active. Today, I am 43 years old and have been off the meds for about 13 years. I still get a few aches and pains every now and then, but nothing compared to what I went through. I feel for anyone who has to deal with the pain that this disease causes.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I have it in my right wrist, due to a severe hyperextention snowboarding 4 years ago. Then I re-injured it several times after that. After a lot of riding it kinda locks up on me.
Also my right knee is starting to develop a little. That was due to a streetbike accident two years ago. Side swiped by a car. Tore the meniscus which was taken almost completely out. A lot of cartiledge was also removed because it was torn so bad.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
Mully said:
Yes, I have it bad in my left knee. Hyper-extended my knee in 1989 at the Turkey Creek Enduro, New Paris, Indiana.

Doc said I would be fine, not to worry, no surgury or clean up needed. Three years ago the Doc (ortho doc this time) said I should have had corrective surgury then. Now I am having trouble, and knee replacement is the only way to correct it. Doc said I was basically near bone on bone. Aleve works wonders, but is not a cure all. I really hate taking some of those medicines. Vioux worked like magic, but we all know where that one went. Physical Therapist has me doing special excersises to strengthen the muscles that support the knee. Hopefully this will get me out a few more years before I get the knee done. I am thinking 55 or older. The aches and pains come and go, I can be fine for several months then it swells up again and I have trouble for a month.

Do yourselves a big favor. If you have that crash that twists, bends, etc, go see a good doctor. Then get a second opinion. and a third if you have too. Be positive about what is going on before you just leave it be.

Mully

My step-dad just had his knee replaced around a year or so ago at the age of 58 I believe. He was bone on bone and had severe arthritis.

His knee is great now, he's having the other one done eventually. He has to take a break between the two, he said it was extremely painful. :bang:

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
AssistSuper said:
I'm really sorry to hear about your son having that, it's definately a shame.

A close family friend of ours, his son has rheumatoid arthritis very badly, bad enough that he could barely get around. What helped him out tremendously was taking up martial arts. Last I heard he still struggles with his hands, but the difference is like night and day.

I'm suprised we don't have any honory degree receipients.

As a father I couldn't be more proud of him by the way he has handled it, he never complains, never missing any type of a event even if he was hurting.
He has also taken up martial arts to help keep him "loose" you could say. And like Tim said, with the right Drs and treatment he is able to stay active.

TemeculaTim

Feb 2, 2005
Wraith said:
As a father I couldn't be more proud of him by the way he has handled it, he never complains, never missing any type of a event even if he was hurting.
He has also taken up martial arts to help keep him "loose" you could say.

Wraith,
Glad to hear that your son is not letting Arthritis control his life. One of the things I should have added to my post was that having a good positive attitude and support from family and friends goes a long way. BTW- One of the best forms of therapy for me is using a Hot Tub to ease the aches and pains. In our state with a Dr's. Prescrition, it's tax deductable.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Oh for sure, you can't look at it negative, you have to take it, as it is given to you (or them, I should say), so when they are going thru treatments or surgeries or whatever it may be, you have to be there, strong, supportive, and ready to be truthfull for them when they ask you what is going on with all the Dr. visits.
Oh yeah, the hot tubs seem to work really good for Logan (my son). Our next door neighbor has a tub and is aware of Logan's arthritis, and is charitable enough to let him use it when the need arises.
The Missouri State Artritis Foundation has been great with helping educate us, and my wife has also been great the past few years with trying to educate the SouthWest part of the State with the lack of Pediatric Arthritis Dr's in the Midwest.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Two knees, one left thumb.

I did the left thumb on the Finke Desert racing track in 1989: Tore out the ligament, and seven months later I had to have surgery because of a bone spur that resulted from NOT seeing the doctor about the torn ligament!

Then in 1994 I ripped out an anterior cruciate ligament in my right knee while popping wheelies in the back yard on a newly restored '78 DT175. That one effectively ended my dirt biking. While in there for surgery the doctor took lots of pictures of the fissures and craters that had appeared in my meniscus and promptly told me that I've got grade III osteoarthritis in my knees and that I'd better stick to gliding sports and lay off the joint pounding sports. I've tried, honestly I have. Deer hunting, cars, electric guitars. However, like smoking, a good MX is hard to kick out of your system and all it took was one look at a bike by my youngest son this fall to set the addiction yearning anew...

The knees dont hurt THAT badly... yeah I could do it with a little help from Aleve! Hmm... Will I remember how??

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Wraith said:
I don't have it to bad yet, but my 11 year old son has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. He's had it since he was 6, he can still do just about whatever he wants, he just pays for it the next day, like a old man does. Or, like his old man does I should say.

I have had it to some extent since around 5 years old. Was never too bad until this last year. I was hurting so bad the first 8 mos of this year that I didn't ride at all. My ankles and feet hurt so badly that it would take about 15 minutes to be able to walk well in the mornings The last couple month have been better in my feet and ankles, knees have not changed - there is pain there but not too bad yet. The shoulders seem to be getting worse by the month.

My feet felt good enough to ride last month, but due to not working due to the two hurricanes, I have since sold my bike. I should be recovered well enough financially to buy another bike in a couple months, but I will judge that depending on the pain. :(

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to be riding soon.

TY250

Nov 30, 2005
I am that close to an Honours Degree it ain't funny anymore! I've got Ank/Spondylitis, sorta like normal arthritis, but it gets into the muscles and tendons. Hurt? Hell yeah! Ever tried to do a wheelie and have your leg collapse when the front wheel comes off the ground? messy! I've been riding Trials for around 20 years and I still get out on the TY250 now and again. It is great while riding, but the cool down takes a bit longer to get over! It's ok, nothing a couple of beers can't fix!

FenryHonda

Nov 9, 2001
I have it in both knees (HS football and riding), left ankle (football and fell while swinging on a grapevine), and right shoulder (riding).

Just had surgery to clean the left knee up, rode yesterday for the first time. My doc says the next thing for the right knee is replacement. I'm gonna hold off on that as long as possible since I am just 43.

mxrider443

Nov 4, 2005
Right Wrist...

Is bad.. been broken at least 12 times hurts when its not even in use what so ever. Looking to have surgery done as soon as i can, anything to help it would be heavenly. HORRIBLE pain every second

Noeboy89

Nov 13, 2005
My knees predict the weather.

You name it....HS football, falling out of trees, getting hit by cars, wrecking anything that can be wrecked, my knees let me know when the temp is changing with severe pain. After getting hit by the falcon in '87, my physical therapist asked me if I wrestled in school. I said no, why? He said he has never seen knees as loose as mine. You can bend them side to side dang near as much as front to back. Well not that extreme, but you get the idea. Usually five, 500mg hydrocodone will do the trick, but its not like they prescribe that stuff any time you need it. Dang it anyway. :bang:

OTHG_DAVE_858

Feb 18, 2005
Knees, who needs em. I get supartz injections, they work for me. If you have insurance its worth a shot for you guys with osteoarthritis. If it gets ya on the bike its all good.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
another old geezer (46) checking in with arthritis. i cased a double a few years ago and it drove my ankle up through my lower leg, destroying the cartilage and splintering the bone. i now have chronic swelling and have to buy a half size larger shoe. for the first couple years, the pain was 24/7 but now it's just occasional. mornings are the worst (if i ever have a house-fire at night, i'm a dead man). i no longer take any pain killers, alleve doesn't seem to do anything for me. now 3 1/2 years later, i've finally started getting some strength back in my ankle and i'm able to ride and race again. it doesn't hurt while riding, i guess the boot offers enough support. my main problem is that my ankle has a very limited range of motion and i have to take my foot off the peg to use the rear brake. so if anyone brake checks me, they're going down! i've recently improved enough that i can stand up and pedal my mountain bike. it's quite an accomplishment for me considering the shape i was in just a few months ago. i honestly thought that i'd never be able to ride again.

when i was a kid and was active in sports, i could tell in my knees when it was going to rain. it went away when i became an adult.

Top Bottom