robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Ladies and Gents:

I know next to nothing about digital cameras - but I know my wife dropped ours at the beach and we need a new one. I'm planning on purchasing the same camera (Sony DSC 40 or whatever it was) because it takes pics that are just fine for what we're doing. Anyway, in looking for cameras, I came across the following article. It makes sense to me, but like I said, I don't know much about it.

Does it appear to be accurate to your understanding of things?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

The Megapixel Myth
by Ken Rockwell

(For example:)

"Small differences in pixel count, between say 5 MP and 8MP, are unimportant because pixel counts are a square function. It's exactly like calculating area or square footage. It only takes a 40% increase in linear dimensions to double the pixel count! Doubling pixel count only increases the real, linear resolution by 40%, which is pretty much invisible."

"One needs about a doubling of linear resolution or film size to make an obvious improvement. This is the same as a quadrupling of megapixels. A simple doubling of megapixels, even if all else remained the same, is very subtle. The factors that matter, like color and sharpening algorithms, are far more significant.

The megapixel myth is also prevalent because men always want a single number by which something's goodness can be judged.

Unfortunately, it's all a myth because the number of megapixels (MP) a camera has has very little to do with how the image looks. Even worse, plenty of lower MP cameras can make better images than poorer cameras with more MP."

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Sounds pretty accurate by my understanding of things. I see no difference in my 8.2 MP images from my 20D than I did with the 6.1 MP ones for the Digi Rebel, Other than having more pixels to crop down and still have a useable file if I shot the frame too loose. Most any decent camaera above 3 MP is going to be fine for regular family type usage.

r0yal

Jul 25, 2006
Ya, I have a 2.0megapixel, and it does me fine, I'm gonna eventually save for a better camera, because I want to play around with more functions.

Chili: How are the Digital Rebel XT's ? I WAS gonna get a 20D, but its double the price of a XT, and I DONT think its gonna be that much of a difference, that I would notice lol

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I have not used a Rebel XT, I had the original Digital Rebel 300D versus the 350D the XT is labeled. The XT is now a mini 20D, if I had that instead of the original rebel I'd likely still be using it, but the original Rebel while quality was fine had a few too many features missing for sports shooting and I felt the need to upgrade to give me more manual control over the camera. All shots in this thread were taken with the original Digi Rebel http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=120546&highlight=millville

BTW if you see the kid in the first photo at the floodway, that is my son. Although we are only likely to have that 05 RM125 for a few more weeks.

r0yal

Jul 25, 2006
Hmmmm ok, so I guess for what I want it for, the Rebel XT will do perfectly fine... thats good, now I can get it sometime soon... the 1500$ price of the 20D wasnt looking too good hah.

How old is your son?

Ya, hopefully if it doesnt rain tomorrow... me, my girlfriend, and my buddy are gonna head out to Gimli's track. I cant wait lol, been dying to ride a track since my first time 2 weeks ago lol

Shooter2

Dec 29, 2003
Caution about Ken Rockwell's advise

I tend to agree with him on this topic. But, he is flamed pretty good on some dedicated photography forums about some of his stuff. His reviews remind me of the type that loves everything about the new yammie cuz it is a pretty blue. He has been accused of writing in depth reviews on equipment he has never touched. Just like in bikes, one size does not fit all. Do your research and make your own decision based on your needs and budget.
Try www.dpreview.com or www.bythom.com (mostly Nikon).
Do some googles. There are some excellent lens review sites also. Do a search on dpreview.com. A guy by the name of Bjorn Rhorsett (or something like that) is pretty well respected and has some in depth reviews.
Shooter2

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom