As Green As My New 05 KDX 220!

Ewetah

Jun 29, 2007
Hello everyone, just purchased a new 05 220 and a 07 KLX 110 for my 9 year old. Haven't rode for 20 years and I am looking forward to getting back into it. I have always admired the KDX and knew about it's reputation as a fantastic trail bike so after I got my son his new 110 I began the search for a bike for myself. I rode an 03 200 and could not get the smile off my face as a twisted the throttle and enjoyed the power band! I was also looking at a used XR250 and I rode a very nice one, but the smile never came on my face when I twisted the throttle of the thumper so I found a new 05 220 and picked it up.

I have viewed the KDX only site and found the information extremely informative but I do have a couple of questions:

Is my 05 basically the same as the older bikes as far the information on the site is concerned? It seems that most of the tech tips etc. relate to 2001 and older bikes.

Will I need to correct the jetting if I do the airbox lid modification and leave the stock pipe on for now?

Thanks for helping out a newby!

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Everything will be the same for all 1995 and newer models. As far as the jetting goes, you will not NEED to change it, but Typically the KDX's come really rich from the factory, so you will probably WANT to lean it up a bit to get a little more out of the motor. There is a ton of information on here regarding the jetting of the KDX's. Try a search for it and you can probably get it really close and save a lot of time. Also the KDX only site lists pretty detailed jetting starting points. Even breaks it down as far as what mods you have performed.

Happy riding.

Perk

Ewetah

Jun 29, 2007
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I will mod the air box after my break in and then check to make certian I am not running lean.

Ewetah

Jun 29, 2007
Thanks!

Thanks for the information guys! I appreciate your feedback. Today I put a skid plate on and a new set of Pro Taper bars and moved the bars forward an inch to help accomadate my lanky 6'5" frame.

After what I have been reading I will probably go with the FMF Desert pipe and the air box mod along with re jetting the carb.

The wealth of info on this site is great!

Gotta go my son wants to ride!

Top Bottom