Asking for a little inside info on a KX 100

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Hi. I made a thread a while back about my brother getting into Motocross, and wanting a motocross bike for him (and I) to ride.

He is 14, around 5'5 and 110 pounds.

It was a toss up between the 85s, but he has now decided on a KX 100. How will this bike perform for someone at that height and weight? Does anyone have any opinions about the KX 100.

This bike will be used on wide open feilds, dirt roads, trails, and occasional tracks.

I heard the bike has excellent powerband, and "powervalves" - What exactly are powervalves, and what do they do? Would this bike do ok with occasional trail riding? As over something like a CR?

And how is the reliability on this one? I ask this, because the 2003 Honda CR 85R our friend has, has allready been in the shop over 3 times, and one was because of TWO RECALLS. So how is the Kawasaki KX 100 when it comes to reliability? This bike would be properly maintained all the time.

Anyone who could explain to be a little about the bikes power would be appriciated. How fast do you think this thing would go? Thank you all!

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Oh yea, since i cant edit i had to double post this in sorry.

What about the RM100. I heard Kawasaki and Suzuki made these bikes together so they are pretty much identical powerwise, is this correct? Is it a better bike or no? Thanks!

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
yea, same bike. Ok i dont' really remember much about the stock pipe on my kx100, i've had my fatty on since x-mas. but what i do remember, is the top-end would sign off. you could feel it. You'd open it up and it's be going going then you could feel the power just drop. but with the fatty it doesn't do that. at least i don't notice it. I ride myine in tight trails, andit pulls excellend in 2nd most of the way, occasional shifts to 3rd, 4th, so on. rarely do i go in first unless there's a u turn in the middle of a hill. but first gear will get you up anything, with traction. the power just rolls on in the bottom, it's good, but not a lot. then it hits the mid range and just rips. and the top is a little weak, but you don't wanna rev the crap outta it. it has a very broad pb for a mini. easy to keep it on it's power.

I havn't had anyh problems wiht reliability wise. i've had bolts fall out, either improper installation by the shop, rattled loose, or i didn't tighten enough. but nothing major. just keep the filter clean, oil fresh, and a good pre-mix level 32:1 and it'll give ya good results.

The bike overall is fast, prolly like 65 top on a stock, with the fatty about 70. almost kept up with a shee that was clocked at 74 full speed.

the suspension is very plush, for a 110 Ib'er it should be good. if your going to hit b ig jumps, then you may need stiffer springs, or heavier fork oil. but any thing else it's good. i'm 140 and it does great for me.

Bike is easy to wheelie also, just sit on the back of the seat, give it gas then prepare for the front end to come up slowly, as it enters it's pb, but it will keep going back if you don't adjust your weight.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Oh man, thank you soo much for all the good advice!! :) :)

So you say the stock pipe isn't all that great? My friend who has a 125 and is really knowledgable about dirtbikes (or seems to be!) says that aftermarket pipes do not justify enough of a difference for those prices.

I was originally going to get an FMF SST pipe and FMF Silencer soon enough, but then I too was really starting to wonder what type of differnece this would make, if any for $350!

Is putting on the pipe easy? Does putting a silencer and/or pipe require you to re jet the bike? Since I dont know anything about that.

Basically what I am asking, is if the FMF/Pro Circuit etc pipes and silencers really make a difference, or if I should just keep it stock, and if you need to re-jet the bike afterwards.

Thanks again for your wonderful advice. Anything else you have to add would be really appriciated. THANKS!

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
I dont know much about them mechanically, but they flat out rip! im over 200lbs with gear and can pull a faster lap on the 100 then my 125.. it will be peppy at first, or at least until your son gets used to it..

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Originally posted by Dogman5
Oh yea, since i cant edit i had to double post this in sorry.

What about the RM100. I heard Kawasaki and Suzuki made these bikes together so they are pretty much identical powerwise, is this correct? Is it a better bike or no? Thanks!

oh yeah, the two bikes are identical mechanically.. the only difference is the kx has green plastic and the rm has yellow plastic..

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
they do make a difference. I've heard people say that the silencer makes all the difference, but don't know if that's true. The stock pip is good, just don't rev it. once you ride it you'll get the feel for when it is gonna sign off. i suggest going to rockymountainmc.com for your pips. i got both mine for 300 w/o shipping fees. it's like 350+shipping at fmfracing.com. it's really easy. the o-rings were a little big, so we had to keep the same rings. but then it went in easy. the silencer is just a slide on. takes maybe half an hour but is very easy. good luck

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Originally posted by Racer#213
they do make a difference. I've heard people say that the silencer makes all the difference, but don't know if that's true. The stock pip is good, just don't rev it. once you ride it you'll get the feel for when it is gonna sign off. i suggest going to rockymountainmc.com for your pips. i got both mine for 300 w/o shipping fees. it's like 350+shipping at fmfracing.com. it's really easy. the o-rings were a little big, so we had to keep the same rings. but then it went in easy. the silencer is just a slide on. takes maybe half an hour but is very easy. good luck

Ok, cool. I figure the bike will be purchased for this birthday end November, so his Christmas money can go towards things on the bike; Graphic kits, pipes, etc..

So does it require jetting if you put on a new pipe or a silencer?

Thanks guys!

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
yea you will have to rejet it. i think i'm running one leaner on the needle clip, and one richer main jet in mine and my plugs are the color of my roost. but i'll have to rejet soon for cooler climates.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
really?

my friend just bought a fatty pipe and a turbine core II and didnt rejet it.

how exactly do you do that anyway. is it tough to do for someone who knows hardly anything about 2-stroke engines? since i will need to know for further reference when i get my new bike (which maybe a kx or rm 100)

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
well it may not to be rejetted. go and do a search on 2-stroke tuning, rejetting, and jets. get to know them. they are your friend. and will give you better results than anything you cna buy. there is a lot of info out there on jetting. just do a search.

try http://www.keihincarbs.com/ i think that is what the yz85's have. that is what the kx/rm100's have pwk28 that site has som good info on the jets.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
I just got my son a kx100, and I can tell you this...after rejetting, that thing will pull wheelies in first, and second gear with my 210 lbs on it. On the same token, my wife can putt around on it, and it has never fouled a plug. Very versital bike. I love it, and my son definately loves it!

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
oh yea first gear wheelies so easy. i could sit on the tank, and gas it and it'd wheelie. 2nd just sit on the back of the bike, at about 4000 rpm's then gas it and it'll come up then lean forward to keep it. 3rd gear about 6000 rpms and the same as 2nd but it'll wheelie for ever in 3rd. 2nd it runs outta r's to fast. they are great bikes for sure

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Yeah, the KX 100 seems like a cool bike.

I am actually thinking about picking one up for many reasons. My wife, just to fool around on, and for when my little cousins come down and want to go riding with me.

From those who have the KX 100, do you think its tame enough for my wife, who really has never ridden a dirtbike before, at about 5'5? Or any beginners for that matter who have little to no experience?

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
It can easily be putted around for sure. It will ask before it bites as long as no mistakes are made. Like I said, my wife putts around on it all of the time and she has never really ridden either. But when it gets on the pipe in the hands of an experienced ridder...look out...it's got a pretty good grin factor for such a small bike. My son loves it!

Top Bottom