At what point are you no longer a beginner?

At what point are you no longer a beginner?

• After your 1st. race or enduro?

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • After 20 miles of whooped out trails?

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • After hurting yourself?

• After not hurting yourself?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 10, 2007
its kinda hard to say.

you cant say race cuz lots of people will never race. then lots of people dont try trails.

i would say its different for every person. you are no longer a beginner when your riding smoothes out.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Well, I think no longer being a beginner is different for everyone. I've been riding for 4 years and I still feel like a beginner - but I get lots of compliments on how much I've improved so maybe now I'm an intermediate...

So I'd say you're no longer a beginner when you don't feel like one anymore!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
If you live to tell the tale, you are no longer a beginner.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Depends. For general riding, I'd say when you know how to react to most situations you'll encounter on the trail/track and can ride on most terrain. Riding technique is now considered (ie. clutch control, modulating brakes, gear selection for power characteristics, weight distribution, etc).

For racing, it's a whole different scale. An 'intermediate' racer is usually not that much slower than a pro and can ride pretty much anything terrain wise.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
When you can keep up with me!! :nener:

There is no right answer to this question.

Oh, and I'll do more 20 miles of whooped out trails in one trip, so if its your first trip I would still call you a beginner.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
When you find those pics/videos from a while back and you instantly deny the fact that the person in those is infact yourself. How could someone ride a motorcycle THAT bad and think they were actually cool and stylish??? To add insult to injury you realize that you were once the subject of intense laughter by the rest of the "fast" riders at the track :rotfl:

This is true of anything of me more then 2 or 3 years old. Have been racing for 8 years and it took 5-6 years to stop gooning everywhere I went.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
The local Vetx moto club has 3 beginner classes.

-first time beginner
-true beginner
-beginner

This is how they control sandbaggers - :nod:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It is me,BUT,when it was just A,and B there were no issues! No 30 age classes,and no utility and pit bikes! Now it seems every different opinion has a class! Has anyone looked at videos of amateur events back in the 70's? Full gates and then some!

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
true wffr
but here we have full gates of 20 classes
me i would rather race my 125 in the +35 c class against 450's
than the 125 beg class against a bunch kids who can barley ride and dont care who they crash into

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I got frustrated running the 250f in +45,district 14 and 15 seemingly do not run b classes for this age! Well the old pros and the 450's are a handful. So I get a 450 again. In district 14,15 and 17 there are a lot of classes that have 10 or under,they combine them,you do not have a clue who is winning what! Back in the day you did not have 2 tracks running at the same time with'in a hundred miles,not anymore! The 125 and 250 c classes are the only ones with full gates. There is no way I would go to the line with a bunch of them!

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
need to move down here wffr we got a class for everyone :)
our +35 classes are usually run togther a,b+c. but more often than not a class usually runs with 250 a only complaint i have with our track is they will let quads run on bike nights.
and being sandy down here ruts get deep quick

peanuts

Jun 16, 2007
I think it's all relative. If you've been racing for 5 years you might feel pretty experienced compared to guys who are lining up for their first event. Get in with a group of guys who have been racing for 10 or 15 years and you might a feel a little bit like a student again.

One important thing to remember is that when you think you've got nothing left to learn, you will crash.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
IMHO, it is when you can tackle most terrain w/out having to really think about what you are doing... Your body just naturally reacts to different situations...

In regard to racing, I think it is when you can consistently finish top 5 in the beginner class and win a few...

OHIOMOTOXER

May 9, 2002
Trail rider: Usually after a year of solid riding you could consider yourself seasoned ehough to not be a rookie.

Racer: When you get moved up by the sanctioning body OR when you start winning or placing all the time.

MX has so many different classes and ability levels that sandbagging is the norm.
Ive seen internediates pass experts on occasion.
Local hare scramble racing typically does not break classes down in ability levels. Sandbaggind in those races is not an issue.

Top Bottom