ATF For Forks ?

K Dixon

Oct 25, 2002
I have seen posts suggesting Mobile 1 ATF for forks. Is it the full synthetic version or another? Does the thicker fluid increase the rebound damping force much. Would this be a better match with stiffer springs? THANKS.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Things are much easier the less you know!

I thought Mobil1 WAS synthetic. It's a blend? Didn't know there was a NEW Mobil1 either.

Whatever it is that's been around for years is what jeremy (mx-tech) recommends for home maint. Well, did a couple years back, anyway.

It's what I've used my last couple oil changes.

I've noticed that other riders get a good deal of pressure buildup after a stint of fast/hard riding.....as evidenced by what's released from their popper valves. I rarely get any buildup.

Higher viscosity fluid is sometimes used as (poor) substitute for inadequate springs. I haven't researched the question, so it just amounts to an opinion...but I don't see that 'stiffer springs' corresponds to 'heavier oil'. Would be more of a personal preference issue.

My preference is the correct spring and a relatively light fluid.

Last edited:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
K Dixon, yes, most seem to be running the full synthetic version (they do come in both...look for M1 ATF Synthetic. It is slightly thicker than 5 wt, so generally requires a couple of clicks lighter to get the same feel as 5wt. I have been using it for a couple of seasons with good results.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I had never really heard of atf being used in forks, but I think they add some antifoam agent to atf fluid. Why would you use atf?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Why ATF? Cause it is cheap.

Mobile does not know crap out doing this. They will not even let you admit that you tried this. Jackasses to say the least.

I dont run ATF in forks, but when I looked into the idea I called our supplier at work. They said the weight is 10-15. SOmething in that range. Also do not run this with old seals! There is a lot of detergents and cleaners that are pretty harsh. So old seals will probably leak.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Will any brand of ATF work? I can't find anywhere that sells Mobil 1 in my area. Also are the detergents and cleaners really that bad? My fork seals dont leak, but they are deffinalty old!
Thanks.

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
Kyle,
I found Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF at Walmart in the Lower Mainland. walmart in Kelowna might have it too. Worth a check anyways.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Fatty_k you might want to try the local Crappy Tire they now carry it here in the lower mainland.Just wondering how you like the GasGas compared to the Kdx?

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Ok, thanks. I will try Crappy tire too. Gas Gas is an awesome bike. KDX like power but twice as much! Screams on top end too. Lots of power everywhere!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Any ATF will work in a fork. Some fluids will oxidize faster than others and that is what causes the pressure build-up in the fork.
Change out your suspension fluid often and be happy.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Jaybird, do have any more info on the ATF eating away at old fork seals? Is this a big problem? I'd rather spend a few more bucks on real fork oil than spend more money on new seals.
Thanks.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I've never experienced that problem with ATF. Brake fluid or any silicone based fluid can eat seals.
I think the worst enemy of seals are the particulates both inside and outside of the fork that do the most damage. Try to keep the seals cleaned out and your fluid changed often and you shouldn't have many problems. I think that maitnenance interval is much more important than fluid choice when it comes to seal life.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by Jaybird
I think that maitnenance interval is much more important than fluid choice when it comes to seal life.

Wise advise that applies to more than just suspension. :thumb:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…