matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
I have read all the different opinions on atf or susp. oils. I would like to see the general beliefs all put together in one thread. So correct me on any of this and throw in any info or experiences please. Mobile 1 atf and it needs to be synthetic, correct? Is it suitable for forks and shock use? Will it last as long as the specified oils? The synthetic Mobile 1 is equivalent to approximately. 7.5w suspension oil? Is the use of atf common in all different shocks and forks or only specific ones? I'm servicing my own shock and forks for the first time and trying to decide what to use each year when I do this. If it matters I have a 03 KDX 200. Last but not least if I made the switch will it feal much different than the stock oils? Sorry its long I just don't want to start a thread for each individual question.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
From what I understand, it needs to be Mobil 1 ATF. The others can have varying viscosities. Yes, you can use it in forks and shock. I've done so with good results. The only issue I may have noticed was a bit of shock fade after long motos. But I'm not sure about that. It could have been brain fade on my part. Generally, it feels just the same as other suspension fluids. Some folks adjust the dampening clickers 2 clicks softer to compensate from 5 wt fluid.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I've used it in the past and have heard of others using it as well with good results. Not sure what the pros and cons are vs fork oil other than possibly availability in a pinch like those 11th hour trips to WalMart to get ready for a next day ride. I've got 7wt BelRay in mine right now and may try the M1 next change for grins.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I have had good success with the Mobil 1 in both the forks and shock.

Be warned though, it does give a bit of a firmer feel to the suspension vs. the lighter weight (2.5, 5.0) suspension oils. On some bikes this is a desireable trait change though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom