Formula

Sep 21, 2000
I believe you should only use ATF TYPE F since it does not have friction modifiers in it. It allows for a certain amount of friction needed for the wet clutch. I have heard it is used in certain street application for faster shifts because of it's unique properties. Do not use Mercron , Dexron, Grecian Formon - they will not work although they have cool names (the real ones anyways)

bens

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2001
I would NOT recomend putting ATF in your tranny. Honda makes an awsome oil made just for two stroke trannies. Or, any other Reputable Lube co. sells oils made just for your 2stroke tranny.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Originally posted by Formula
I believe you should only use ATF TYPE F ....Do not use ..Dexron...they will not work although they have cool names (the real ones anyways)

I don't see why DEXRON II or III should not work in a twostroke gearbox. TM recommends DEXRON for the 250's gearbox and it works fine. BTW: The clutch plates in a TM 250 and in a Honda CR 250 are identical, so what works for my TM should work in andym's Honda, too.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I dunno about this...

There are several opinions regarding this very topic. I tend to run only Silkolene products in my gear box on my YZ.

On a side note, my '94 Mustang GT uses ATF in the T5 manual tranny.:silly:

-jeffd

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
There have been several discussions on this before and i think the general consensus was like formula said, it will work fine as long as its Type F... jeff how do you like your car? My brother has the same year GT (red).

Last edited:

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Think about the design of an auto tranny: wet clutches, and gearsets, right? Sound kinda like your bike tranny? I use ATF-F in my bike, and I found that the shifting is easier than with the 85W gear oil that I used before.

I have been told by Rich that it must be type F, and if he says it, that is good enough for me.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Well, I belive( although I am not sure) that auto trannies use planatary gears and theyt are in constant mesh. Sorta like the Model T Ford trannys.
I used to use ATF but the shifting was horrible. Mobil 1 15-50 is the best stuff IMO for shifting. I put that in my bike and it was a world of difference.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Well andym I'm glad you didnt ask about premix oil

I run ATF/F in my 380 ktm I was a honda support rider 82-84 and thats all i ever ran it was about horespower on a 125 not parts . you will need to change after each race at the pro level . I change about every 4 rides in my 380 and it works great, never have had a problem .

Old fart from the 45min moto days

holyroller1

Jun 20, 2001
I have used Mobile 1 ATF and it works great.

However after reading the replacement specfications it is not a replacement for Type F. It is a replacement for Dexron - III and Mercon. It also says for use in Ford vehicles later than 1988.

Now I know that most say Type F, but most also say Mobil 1 ATF is fine to use also. I personally use M 1 ATF with no problems what so ever. Does M1 not have these modifiers? What is the scoop?

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
OOPS more of my $.02( wife says I can spend a dollar tonight:confused: )
ATF type F is so named because it was made special for Ford because they used some goofy type of friction plate material. After '88 they used the same junk as the others (except the Euros. , but that's another story) Also type F is a different viscosity and is sometimes used in racing auto trans to decrease shift times ($.97 to go tonight, woman! more wine! :p oops I think she heard me:eek: )

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
I would not get too concerned over using ATF type F. Alot of guys use it all the time. I have had very good luck with it. I change it about every 3 rides. The shifting works very good with this oil and it works even better in cold weather riding as it doesnt need to warm up. I just buy generic type F at Walmart for $1 a quart.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm in the same club with, reynome. I buy the cheapest type F I can find.
The winter test is the kicker! :D

Last Jan. at 10deg F I had tried some Castrol Syntec in the gearbox. The bike wanted to lunge forward with the clutch engaged before it warmed up.
With the ATF Type F, that went away. I also think there may be less particualte on my magnet plug at each change using ATF, but that may be in my mind.

Top Bottom