Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I have been running ATF Type F in our KX since we bought it. Been very happy with how it's worked for us so far and have been considering switching my RM over to it from the 10-40 it's using. The question I have is I went to pick up more type-F the other day and the Auto parts shop I was getting it at had none in stock, when I asked the parts person when they would be getting more he informed me that they would no longer be carrying it as all type F vehicles could run the more popular dexron/mercon fluid they currently stock.

When I originally started using it after reading many of the threads on this most suggested to stay away from dexron and to use type F for the same reason you stay away from 10-30 because they have friciton modifiers. The dealer we bought the bike from suggested atf as well but said he uses whatever ATF is on sale dexron/type f etc no specific type is of importance he feels. Another race mechanic I talked to doesn't like the atf idea and when the topic of oils came around he felt that it was best to just use whatever was on sale 10-30, 5-30 was fine he felt and that friction modifiers were seriously overplayed as an issue.

Any thoughts out there on the Dexron/Mercon and the friction modifier issue be it in Oil or ATF?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
It won't hurt to try it. See if your bike likes it or not.
I would try another oil supplier, or a farm supply outlet.
Or, K-mart, etc....

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Dextron is fine

Top Bottom