adub24

Sep 19, 2008
I just put in an athena 144 kit . Jetting is spot on , ran great . It has about 3 rides on it no problems . Today the temp was about 20-25 degrees warmer than any other time it was ridden . It started to bog and lose coolant from the overflow hose . I pulled the plug and it is golden brown . bike ran fine for about 2 laps(5 minutes) before this happened . Do I need Bigger radiators ? Overheating is the only cause for the bog I can come up with . Everything else looks good no leaks anywhere . I run maxima cool aid for coolant . Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated .

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like you might want to get some Fluidyne radiators to get the extra heat in check provided you know for sure the water pump / impeller is in top condition. I've always had better luck keeping things cool using distilled water and a bit of Redline WaterWeter, skip the antifreeze.

adub24

Sep 19, 2008
Yes , I rejetted for the big bore . I was looking online and could not find fluidyne radiators for a 2005 yz 125 . I've checked The water pump/impeller and it is working fine . I also looked on boyesen's website and they only make the high flow impeller/cover thru 2004 nothing newer . maybe it's as simple as trying a different mix for the coolant . I'll probably have to tear it down and check to make sure that it didn't have a small heat seize

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Engine Ice isn't likely to fix your issue, but the same can probably be said for the other things you've considered.

You are addressing a symptom without finding the problem that caused it. You are assuming that a properly running Athena kit has some magical physics defying properties that dump massive amounts of heat into the cooling system and in turn require draconian measures to deal with it.

There are thousands of Athena kits out in the world running distilled water in a stock cooling system who aren't having problems even in 100 degree weather.

You have some other problem. Checking for combustion (head gasket) leaks into the cooling system with a radiator pressure tester while the engine is running would be good place to start.

Checking closely for signs detonation on the edges of the piston and cylinder head would be useful if you are taking the engine apart.

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That arguably works also. Step 1, send the top end to Eric @, http://www.eric-gorr.com/. Step 2, I can not believe no one sells after market radiators? Is it that they do not need them? Can you jury rig another set of fluidynes on? Is it set up for race gas? If technically set up correctly, it may not need it. Call Eric and ask him, I know he can make those cylinders work better. And better means cooler.

adub24

Sep 19, 2008
thanks guys!!Tearing it down tonight . I hadn't heard of anyone else running larger radiators . I did a lot of search function looking and came up with nothing along those lines . I agree with you rich I think it has to be something internal .

Top Bottom