RBW

Jun 16, 2000
Has anybody ridden one of these bikes? They look like they'd be a good bike. I've never heard from anyone who's ever owned one.Please respond.

ATK Lew

Sep 13, 2000
I have one. They are not for the person that is not mechanically inclined or willing to
do considerable set-up before riding.
Since I am older than dirt I was riding Husky's back when they were the dominate bike in off-road racing. They were very
tough but required careful pre-ride set-up.
As the jap bikes got tougher, they were allways a more polished product, the Husky
way of building a bike has fallen out of favor.

Guess the best way to put this is compared to any jap bike they are unrefined. They
have numerous little niggling problems that
allthough not deal breakers they are really
inexcusable quality control issues.

E-mail me and I will give you my set-up info. Way too long to post here.

Mudshark

Jul 26, 2000
I used to ride with a guy on an ATK and his bike RIPPED! I didn't like the handeling but he seemed to ride the thing really good. I guess it's back to that personal taste and ergos. I also rode Huskys back in the early 70's and I never had a DNF due to bike failure (I wished I could say the same for my physical failure!). If you do your prep on any bike properly, you will reduce the possibility of breakdown. If that ATK is a good deal-go for it but remember, the parts are mucho expensive from what I've been told.
Mudshark
EC300 Gas Gas

ATK Lew

Sep 13, 2000
Let me try this again. My bike is 1999 260.
They are the same 99-01 with the usual BNG.
Actually the 01 has a couple insignifigant changes to light switchs and such.

1. They are delivered to the dealer jetted
for 4000 ft. Ridden at or near sea level
they will sieze in the first hour if you
don't correct this first. Comes with 6.0
slide, this as lean as they get, very tough to get consistant at low altitude with-out changing slide. Has old style TMX so slides are around 30 bucks. A 4.5/5.0 is a good start.
2. The rear brake is a toggle switch. Same
Brembo caliper KTM used for years. Brake pedal is kind of funky. Its not unusual for
me to to miss it and find myself pushing on
the skid plate. Doesn't stop very well when this happens
redface.gif

3. Bottom-end is about equal to a stock
KDX 200. Rather poor for a 250 but then it comes on the pipe and starts shreding the knobs off the rear tire. Top-end is quite impressive for a "woods bike". Scarey is more like it. Eric has porting mods that will
cure its Dr Jeckel/Mr Hyde personality.
I found the KTM model V-Force reed to be
very effective at giving it respectable
bottom with-out losing any top. Truely
impressive product
biggrin.gif

4.The clutch doesn't work. Well the bike goes it just won't stop or start in gear
frown.gif

Magura Hyd clutch set-up fixed this. Available from American Dirt Bike, they are actually the orginal ATK guys. I think a cable and perch for a 01 back to ? CR 125/250
would help this considerably and be much cheaper. I like the hyd consistancy.
5. Massive headshake. Scotts steering damper
fixed this but the problem is they couldn't figure out which mount to send me. Had it specially made by a dealer in Utah.
Dirt Works Racing
6.The left side panel bracketry rubs the shock resevoir. It will penetrate the resevoir and create an expensive repair.
Careful tweaking of the offending tube and
putting a stainless hose clamp around the resevoir is the best you can do.
Inexcuseable bull****. ATK claims there is no problem. Whatever.
rolleyes.gif

7.Seat foam is a little soft. No options.
I have been trying to get new graphics from ATK since last August. No luck.
8. Kick starter belongs on an 80. About 5 inches long and located 40 inches from the ground you had better be 6'8" or only stall
beside a stump.
9. Kick stand is at wrong angle and will break the bracket on the swing-arm. A little welding will cure it but come on guys, are you blind?

What some people can't imagine (Russ) is even
with all its warts I like the bike. If you like to be different and will do the nec set-up it is fast enough and handles decently.
Pro-Taper bars-Talon Hubs-Guts Seat-nice big
Alum skid plate,Paioli conventional forks(which some people don't like, Russ ), Ohlins shock, they have some nice features.
Most of all they can be bought for a song
and will run forever.

---------------------------------------------

ATK!.....Who makes that?
-1999 ATK 260 LQ-

[This message has been edited by ATK Lew (edited 03-11-2001).]

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
RBW,
Feel free to email me also if you have further questions. ATK Lew's post was about as thorough as you're going to get! He really didn't leave many stones unturned. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.
Parts are not a problem, and they are NOT expensive!! They have the best of everything as far as components, but they are a little strange compared to just about any other bike. I love their simplicity the most. They're built like tanks and there really isn't much to go wrong. No linkage. The stock lighting coil will power a small town (160 watts). If you love to look at catalogs for aftermarket stuff, than you'll have to kick the habit with the LQ. There are very few aftermarket accessories available for the bike. Most of what people change comes stock on the bike anyway...for the most part. They really aren't bad bikes, just make sure it's what you want. I sold mine last week with only 8 rides on it for $2150. That included a complete spare rear wheel and tons of other things. My psychiatrist just lives at my house now. Just kidding.

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
posted by ATK Lew:

don't correct this first. [

If the bike is jetted for high elevation and is ridden at sea level, won't the bike run rich? Hmmmmm, how would it seize then?

Also, aren't ATK's made in the USA? This is the Euro forum.

------------------
Jay
2001 KTM 250 E/XC
1999 KDX 220 (for sale)

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Well, I was just thinking about my post and I'm the one who has it backwards (about the jetting),... sorry!

Now,... am I right that ATKs are made in the US? I know they at least used to be!

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
They use a ROTAX motor, which is Euro. There is no forum for a half breed
tongue.gif

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

[This message has been edited by MR.WR (edited 03-12-2001).]

Greenhorn

Apr 4, 2000
... at least Rotax has their own original 2S design instead of cloning it from Honda (half-breed?).
smile.gif

-------------------
Bret
1999 KTM 380S
1987 Husqvarna 430CR

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
Brembo brakes-Italy
Talon Hubs-England
Rotax Motor-Austria
Mukini Carb-Japan
Frame and Misc.-USA
Forks-Paioli/Italy

What's an ATK owner to do?

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by Russ:
Brembo brakes-Italy
Talon Hubs-England
Rotax Motor-Austria
Mukini Carb-Japan
Frame and Misc.-USA
Forks-Paioli/Italy

What's an ATK owner to do?

Buy a KTM.
wink.gif

------------------
William
KTM200EXC

xrdirt_rider

Mar 12, 2001
Everyone pay attention on Jetting:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
don't correct this first. [
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote again:
If the bike is jetted for high elevation and is ridden at sea level, won't the bike run rich? Hmmmmm, how would it seize then?

Hmmmm????

The ATK factory in Centerville, Utah is at 4200 feet in elevation (plus or minus a 100) I worked on project near there and would see the workers test riding the bikes.

Back to jettting:
Air is more dense at sea level than at 4500 feet. That means that more air and more oxygen is getting in your carb at sea level than at 4500 feet. More air equals a leaner mixture. Too lean equals a siezed engine.

Snowmobilers who jet for 8000-1000 feet often burn their sleds down when we get a good snow on the valley floor and they ride at lower elevations.

My KTM wants to foul plugs when I ride up near 9000 feet and I am jetted for 6000 feet. That is less air, (more fuel per air), equals too rich.

Good luck with the LQ and watch the jetting (;)

Top Bottom