TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Has anyone tried this?  I know only two that have.  One loves it and has lost 30 pounds.  The other lost weight but suffered from kidney stones while on the program.  His doctor told him the diet can cause that problem fairly quickly with someone who is susceptible to kidney stones.

Any words of wisdom out there on the diet?  I want to loose 10-15 pounds and unfortunately don't have the time to work it off in a gym.  I would prefer that method but it isn't going to happen with my current work load.  It's hard enough finding the time for riding and bike maintenance.

------------------
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither suffer much nor enjoy much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory or defeat."

Leif
97 CR250

Bruce McCrary

Nov 10, 1999
Could you explain the diet?  I've never heard of it, or at least by that name anyway...

------------------
Bruce McCrary
Lexington, NC.
Team Twinkie - Phat Boyz Dirt Bike Club
NCHSA #765  Sr. B
'99 KTM 300

Dec 23, 1999
Adkins diet is basically all protien no carbs.I was an otr driver 5-10 250 lbs tried the diet went down to about 205 went off the diet and started gaining it back.My aunt is a reg. dietian does'nt exersise a lot but stays very active( walks works in yard etc.) eats everything but in moderation. This is easy to say (hard to stick with) watch what and how much you eat and exersise.    

------------------
Dennis                                            Col Oh
99husqvarna wr250

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
The diet is basically a very very low carb diet.  The way you start it off is limit yourself to 20g of carbs for the first two weeks.  You then slowly increase carb intake while still losing weight.  I have not read that much in terms of maintenance once you reach your target weight.

The reason I am interested is that the diet supposedly allows your body to burn off fat very efficiently.  It is really bizarre what you are allowed and not allowed to eat.  You basically eat everything that you have always associated with being unhealthy.  Lots protiens and fats.  Red meat, cheese, chicken fish, eggs, etc.

I need to do some more research on it before I jump into it though.  Just curious if anyone else has tried it.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Boy do I remember PhenPhen!  My wife was part of a medical study group for the drug.  It worked great and she lost weight at a rate the doctors liked to see (not too quickly).  She was had monthly Dr visits and was monitored throughout the program.  When they started producing the reports with all of the negative physical impacts of the drug, we were shocked and a little scared.  Needless to say,  she is fine and it appears that no damage was done.  They still do check ups on her periodically.

Bruce McCrary

Nov 10, 1999
I've been reading a book called "The Carbohydrate Addicts Handbook" that gets into the low carb theory.  It's saying that it has something to do with the glucose levels in your body...  

No.  I haven't finished reading it yet.

It does have a test in it that tells you (according to them) if you are a carb addict.  My test results said I was a moderate addict.

As I read more I'll be glad to post about it if anyone is interested.

------------------
Bruce McCrary
Lexington, NC.
Team Twinkie - Phat Boyz Dirt Bike Club
NCHSA #765  Sr. B
'99 KTM 300

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Personally I'd stay away from the fad diets.  First, the major reason that the mentioned diet works is because you end up eating fewer calories (after a while meat doesn't look so good without the spuds).  I know that this may sound unreasonable, but what little scientific research there is available shows this.  Second, with an increase in fat intake, low density lipoproteins (bad cholesterol) may increase and increase your risk of heart disease.  

The best method is to just decrease food intake.  Cut out all snacks, and eat three balanced meals.  If you don't lose weight, then you either haven't cut back, or you have decreased your level of physical activity.  You should realize that if you lose weight by dieting alone, you will lose some fat-free mass along with the fat. Lastly, 95% of those who lose weight will regain their weight.  One of the best way to make sure that you are not in the majority is to exercise regularly.  Research shows that the 5% who do not regain are the ones who partake in regular physical activity.

------------------
Tim
'00KLX300R

CRboy167

Sponsoring Member
Jan 18, 2000
The diet makes your body thinks it's diabetic. I was on it for a few weeks. I would have dizzy spells and when I would go riding or exercise I would get cramps really bad. It depends on the person I had bad side affects but my friend doesnt. If you do the diet make sure you take vitamins. Mens Health had a good write up about the diet the pros and cons. Good luck!!!!

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
Not so sure this is a fad diet, but hey.  I believe it has been around about 15 years.  I have a friend of mine who lost 90 lbs (from about 300 to just over 200) in about 7 months.  (Keep in mind he is a male college student, so we are allowed to eat crappy food and not think about the health impact)  He swears by it, and maintains his diet (which he has done for a year) with good results.  He does not eat a lot of sugar either, as he says the glucose shocks affect him, something about his insulin levels, but he doesn't seem to mind.  

JJ

Dec 6, 1999
This diet has been around since the late 1960's. It works great for me.  I'm on it right now and have lost 15 pounds since Jan 1. I've never had the dizzy spells but have heard of that happening.  If you love meat eggs, fish and fat you will love this diet.  Basically, as I understand it, carbohydrates create insulin which makes the body store fat.  Without carbs, minimal fat is stored so you can eat high protein foods and not worry about the calories from fat. Carbs and sugar are your enemies.  This means no fruit(except strawberries), candy, breads, fruit juices, non-diet soda, etc. There is a book called Protein Power, which I guess is the most modern version of the diet.  It includes lots of info on the diet and the carb content of just about every kind of food. You can also check out the Atkins Diet Web site for more info. It also is important to take lots of vitamins.  You should also consult with your doctor.  Mine told me I was nuts but I ignored her because I think it made sense and I only do it from January to March to lose the 15 pounds I always manage to gain over the rest or the year.  During race season, I don't do it. I would think that the lack of carbs and potassium under the stress of an enduro would make you cramp up and do other evil things.  Good luck.

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
I have to agree with Okie on this.  I have been working out a good bit lately but only with weights.  My weight is slowly coming off.  I have only dropped about 5lbs since the holiday feasts
smile.gif

However, I am going to start doing some aerobic classes with my wife soon.

I am changing my workout to do the following:
full body workout twice a week (using dumbells for upper body - damn dumbell press works me like nothing else)

aerobics twice a week (unless I am travelling)

ride at least 1 time every two weeks.

Hopefully that will help.

My wife used to try diets and they would work, she would lose 10lbs then when she stopped she'd gain 15lbs.  It's the same as taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.  You never get anywhere but farther away from your goal.

------------------
Ivan Liechty
A#1 Annoyance
'93 WR250
Spartanburg, SC

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Thanks for the feedback.  I guess I was looking for a quick way to burn off 10-15 pounds.  Fairly recently I moved from  a mid-sized city to Big D.  I have wanted to start exercising but commuting is killing what little free time I have left.

You guys are right... a quick fix diet is not the way to go.  I will have to try an approach such as Okie's & Ivan's.  I sold what little I had in the way of weights before I moved so I will just have to dust off the old mountain bike and hope thats enough to get the ball rolling.

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
I understand about the commuting thing.  I have to drive 45 minutes to work and 45 minutes home (if traffic is light).  I usually don't get to the gym until 6:30pm and then home at 7:30pm or 8pm.

You just have to try and find something that works for you.  Maybe find a gym that is close to your work and stop there on your way home.

BTW, did aerobics last night.  That is some tough stuff.  That will take some weight off as will spinning classes.  

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Before I moved I was a member of a club that was a mile from work.  It was great.  Run over (literally) at lunch, work out, run back, and shower at the office.  That's all gone now.
frown4.gif

Now I have to work downtown with no hope of that kind of a environment in site.  I work in a building that is filled with IT companies so I think that fitness is the farthest thing from building management minds.  "Maximize space useage, these techies don't need no stinking exercise".  I've made the suggestion but it fell on deaf ears.  They have plenty of space since that have quit holding seminars and training in the public areas of the building.  Who knows, maybe in time.

qtrmiler

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 26, 2000
Twinspar,
    I have a friend who was getting porky and he began following the Atkins  diet and was happy that he was seeing a loss in weight. A fellow friend of the both of us came by and I mentioned that Jon was on the Atkins diet.     With a concerned look he told me that the Atkins diet is a temporary  weight loss diet and the better solution would be to have Jon read a book by Bill Phillips called body for life. He has a web address by the same name www.bodyforlife.com.  He gives nutrition recommendations along with the proper exercising for best results. Pete (current follower) has entered some contest he has called champion that measures before and after results for 12 weeks. I am not currently on the program or have the book but after reading your posts am thinking about getting started on some training to help my endurance for the offroad riding to come. Just my .02      ...Tom

------------------

Seeker

Feb 14, 2000
I've got to go with Senior on this one, you've got to read the book before dismissing the Atkin's theory.  I have seen this diet used in many people since the late 70's and it has worked well.  Dr. Atkins originally developed the diet for heart patients who needed to drop weight in a big way.  
Dr. Atkins' theory revolves around glucose/insulin levels which determine fat storage and usage.  Being in ketosis doesn't slow metabolism especially if you are challenging it with a fair amount of favored intake which the diet is a proponent of.  
I like Senior found myself in a position to use the diet to zip some weight off and was able to to it quickly(5'11", 185-171 in 4 weeks), then in kind I relegated myself to a not so strict protein centric diet and am able to maintain with no problem.  
The diet works, the theory sound but there are caveats from a nutritional standpoint.  Applied correctly the diet is effective and thus should not have to be used for very long periods of time after which the lessons can be applied to everyday life in moderation.  Read the book, understand the theory, apply it and incorporate, this is not a super pill for a quick fix but rather a stategy.  If not used correctly results will be less than stellar like anything else.  

Cheers--

tbf500

Jun 12, 1999
I agree with your observations on the sugar.  I lost about 25 lbs. over a six week period.  I got somewhat lazy and started eating regular stuff again minus the sugar and starch.  My weight has been steady for almost two months and I can't seem to gain weight when I do splurge on carbs.  The key I think is in the sugar which I occassionaly indulge in.  It has had no effect yet.  I eat tons of salads and mostly regular food and it continues to work for me.  And I'm NEVER hungry.  A key to successful dieting.
-Tom

Top Bottom